Should Paid 'Menstrual Leave' Be a Thing?

Locutus
For most American women beyond the age of high school gym class, “I’ve got my period” isn’t considered much of an excuse for anything. We’re meant to pop an Advil and get on with things, Red Devil be damned. But in several, mostly East Asian, countries, so-called “menstrual leave” is a legally enshrined right for female workers.

However, as these countries attempt to move toward greater gender equality in the workplace, menstrual leave has come under debate. Do these policies simply further the notion that women are weak, hormonally-addled creatures controlled by their uteri? Or do they encourage more equality by accommodating female workers’ biological demands, much as maternity leave does?

The issue turns out to be surprisingly complicated, with complex historical roots and supporters on both sides of the liberal-conservative divide.

more

Should Paid 'Menstrual Leave' Be a Thing? - Emily Matchar - The Atlantic (external - login to view)

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Walter
You're at it again, Locutus.

Blackleaf
Women can have their "menstrual leave" - so long as they continue to accept being paid less than men for working less hours in total annually than men.

Women complain that they get paid less than men, yet still expect to have so much time off.

Locutus
+5
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

I'm tired of hearing the same old 'news' about justin, barry, ford, warming and especially tim horton's 50th anniversary.

eh1eh
+5

If it bleeds it leads.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

I'm tired of hearing the same old 'news' about justin, barry, ford, warming and especially tim horton's 50th anniversary.

Preaching to the choir on that one.

And paid no heed to these two:

Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Women can have their "menstrual leave" - so long as they continue to accept being paid less than men for working less hours in total annually than men.

Women complain that they get paid less than men, yet still expect to have so much time off.

They're probably on the rag.

Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

If it bleeds it leads.

Locutus
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Preaching to the choir on that one.

mecca lecca hi, mecca hiney ho

eh1eh

mecca lecca hi, mecca hiney ho

That's Hawaiian for, 'Oh my fuking cramps, take my ovaries, please.'

Sal

Should Paid 'Menstrual Leave' Be a Thing? - Emily Matchar - The Atlantic (external - login to view)

an interesting article regarding the reasoning behind the offer as well as the reasoning for not wishing to take it

I had never heard of such a thing

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

I had never heard of such a thing

Neither have I.

Besides, if they know what's good for them it's PMS they should be fearing anyway, not menstruation.

Sal
+1

Neither have I.

Besides, if they know what's good for them it's PMS they should be fearing anyway, not menstruation.

that's what I was thinking... never did understand the term "she's on the rag" must have been coined by a man, because naturally it's wrong... (sorry couldn't resist)

petros
+1
I figure I should get at least week off.

SLM
+1

that's what I was thinking... never did understand the term "she's on the rag" must have been coined by a man, because naturally it's wrong... (sorry couldn't resist)

Uh yeah, why do ya think I said it?

Also to whom I was referring is also very significant.

taxslave
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

We doo too.LOL

Sal
+1

Uh yeah, why do ya think I said it?

Also to whom I was referring is also very significant.

lol yeah for sure there's a certain type of guy that says it all the time, I've considered correcting it but wasn't worth them getting that one right

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Pffft....whimp.

Praxius
+1
So what do men get for time off?

Sorry boss, I can't come in on the account of blue balls.

I remember a girl in high school got angry at a guy and shouted in class, "Lick me where I bleed."

.... A little off-putting, but it's a good one.

Liberalman
Time to have a baby then leave is OK

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

So what do men get for time off?

Sorry boss, I can't come in on the account of blue balls.

andropause?

Quote:

I remember a girl in high school got angry at a guy and shouted in class, "Lick me where I bleed."

.... A little off-putting, but it's a good one.

eeeeew, and yeah, precisely the reason it was a good one

QuebecCanadian
If it gets me 5 days paid leave per month I'm all for it!! But no, we don't need it. We can pop our Advils and do just fine. I know people who suffer from week long migraines. Men and women. No difference.

PoliticalNick
I have to agree with BL on this one. If women want an extra 12 weeks a year off work then they best be willing to have wages and salaries based on only working for 8 months and cannot complain about being paid far less than I who works 48 weeks.

Other than the financial compensation question I am all for it....who really wants to work next to some hormonal, over-emotional, angry chick who can go full psycho just because you say good-morning?

petros

Pffft....whimp.

Nah but it does give good insight into why Native men make their women stay over at their friends or sisters where they party it up.

Best case scenario it's the couch for the women.

BaalsTears
It's ok to pay women to menstruate.

Kreskin
+1
It already is paid, except the phone call says ' I have a migraine'.

petros
Menstruals work alone and travel. I'd rather do paid mariachi and be home every night.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

She seems a bit of a strange one. What an odd thing to say.