Republicans block energy bill, forfeit Keystone vote

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Republicans block energy bill, forfeit Keystone vote

WASHINGTON, May 12 (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Republicans on Monday blocked an energy-efficiency bill backed by manufacturers and environmentalists, forfeiting a chance to vote on the long-delayed Keystone XL oil pipeline.

On a nearly party-line vote of 55-36, President Barack Obama's Democrats fell short of the 60 votes needed to advance the bipartisan energy bill supported by the White House.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat, had offered a vote on a separate bill to take the final decision on Keystone out of Obama's hands and give it to Congress if Republicans allowed passage of the energy bill.

But Republicans refused. They complained that Reid barred them from offering amendments to the bill, including one that would have reined in emissions-cutting regulations on coal-fired power plants, a top strategy in Obama's fight against climate change.

The blocked energy-efficiency bill would cut electricity use by imposing tough building codes and requiring federal data centers to find ways to consolidate and become more efficient.

In turn, the bill, sponsored by Senators Jeanne Shaheen, a New Hampshire Democrat, and Rob Portman, an Ohio Republican, would help protect the environment, create nearly 200,000 jobs, and save consumers billions of dollars a year by 2030, backers said.

"Today's failure to move forward on a bipartisan energy efficiency bill is yet another disappointing example of Washington's dysfunction," Portman said.

"It's a sad day in the U.S. Senate when more than 270 organizations - from business to environmental groups - can get behind a good, bipartisan effort, but we can't get votes on a few amendments to pass it."

TransCanada Corp's proposed pipeline would carry 800,000 barrels per day of oil sands petroleum from Canada's Alberta province to Texas refineries.

Democrats accused Republicans of being more interested in making Obama's repeated delays on Keystone an election-year issue than voting to build the project or pass an energy bill.

Congress has not passed significant energy legislation since 2007. Shaheen and Portman hoped their bill would not suffer the same fate as the sweeping climate bill the Senate killed in 2010. But now it looks as if energy efficiency is doomed until after the Nov. 4 election.

Reid had offered a vote on a Keystone measure sponsored by all 45 Republicans and 11 of the 55 Senate Democrats in return for the bill.

It was unclear if they could get the 60 votes needed to pass the legislation, which would allow congressional approval of Keystone. But even if approved, Obama was certain to veto it.

A Senate vote on Keystone would have shown broad bipartisan support for the project and put more pressure on Obama to end years of delays and finally make a decision.

Senator Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, the chief Democratic sponsor of the Keystone bill, said: "This is just the latest skirmish, and the battle to build Keystone is not over." (Reporting by Thomas Ferraro; Editing by Sandra Maler, Peter Cooney and Andre Grenon)

UPDATE 2-U.S. Senate Republicans block energy bill, forfeit Keystone vote

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
It's the prez who has to be onside to get the pipeline built and I'm sure if you posted all the pork that was added to the bill you'd see why the GOP voted it down.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's the prez who has to be onside to get the pipeline built and I'm sure if you posted all the pork that was added to the bill you'd see why the GOP voted it down.
Don't be ridiculous. The Republiklans love pork every bit as much as the Dumbocrats. The stated reason the Republiklans refused to allow the bill to come to a vote is that the Dumbocrats didn't allow them to propose amendments.

I calculate the real reasons were: 1) There wasn't enough Republiklan pork and 2) they think they can blame Obama for Keystone not getting approved.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
They would have had a better shot at blaming Obama if the bill had passed.

Now they can only blame themselves.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Don't be ridiculous. The Republiklans love pork every bit as much as the Dumbocrats. The stated reason the Republiklans refused to allow the bill to come to a vote is that the Dumbocrats didn't allow them to propose amendments.

I calculate the real reasons were: 1) There wasn't enough Republiklan pork and 2) they think they can blame Obama for Keystone not getting approved.
Does that mean pork is good ?
Lets add a few more trillion onto the national debt to pay for this pork .

Senator Tom I will gladly support your bill if you add 50 mil for my pet project at home .
Senator Bill Sure Tom we really need to pass this bill to get America back on track .

Senator Anne Bill I require 75 mil for my alma matter to support your bill
Senator Bill Of course Anne we really need to get America back on track .

And around and around she goes . Flush .

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

Has to be GOP pork not Dem pork.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
More good news for Canada. It is obvious the US is only interested in our oil if it is cheap. One more reason for more NG, KINDER Morgan and Energy East.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They want a higher volume of US oil in the line than initially agreed upon. An American line will have to go in if no XL. That wouldn't be egg on their faces would it?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Has to be GOP pork not Dem pork.
Being as it was a Dumbocrat-sponsored bill, I think we can take it as read that there was plenty of Dumbocrat pork built in from the git-go.

More good news for Canada. It is obvious the US is only interested in our oil if it is cheap. One more reason for more NG, KINDER Morgan and Energy East.
Um. . . we're only interested in any oil if its cheap. I do hope you're not trying to make the argument that one has a moral responsibility to pay more than the best price one can get.

Cuz that would be silly.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
They want a higher volume of US oil in the line than initially agreed upon. An American line will have to go in if no XL. That wouldn't be egg on their faces would it?

My understanding is that the prez has no veto power if it is a domestic line. So they could build the whole thing tothe border and just wait for a more favorable political climate to make the hook up.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That's correct. The line is too big for Bakken kerogen alone. If US distributors are forced to build an egg on face line by necessity, all points against XL become moot. They've painted themselves into a corner where the only way out sans ouef is approve XL or go super dangerous rail.

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
That's correct. The line is too big for Bakken kerogen alone. If US distributors are forced to build an egg on face line by necessity, all points against XL become moot. They've painted themselves into a corner where the only way out sans ouef is approve XL or go super dangerous rail.
Railways aren't dangerous, just ask any anti-pipeline statist sponsored by Buffet.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I guess Keystone wasn't that big of a deal after all if it can't offset a little bacon.

Either that or Republicans just don't care about the economy as they want people to believe.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Pass my bill and then I will allow a vote on Keystone... (cough cough)

A mini dictator he is.