Girls would rather be housewives

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Girls would rather be housewives

It has been nearly a century since Emily Pankhurst organised a parade of 30,000 women to encourage employers to allow women to take over men's jobs during the First World War.

But Emily and the Suffragettes' efforts appear somewhat wasted when it comes to teenagers in 2008.
Young girls today would rather be housewives than engineers, a survey has found.

In a poll of more than 500 girls aged 13-18, just four per cent of girls dream of being an engineer while a surprising 12 per cent said they want to grow up to be a housewife.

Girls are put off because such careers "don't sound glamorous" and a similar number said they were "jobs for boys."

In a world that seems to promote idleness, revered celebrities such as royal WAG Kate Middleton and heiress Paris Hilton send girls the message that you don't necessarily need a job to make millions or bag yourself a prince.

The most popular career choice was modelling followed by acting and refreshingly, more than a quarter want to be teachers and just under a quarter want to be a lawyer or journalist.

The survey was carried out by Noise (New Outlooks in Science & Engineering), which aims to attract more young people into science-based careers.

The survey polled 506 13-18 year-olds in August this year.

Read more: Women would rather be housewives than engineers | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

--------------------------------
Personally, I think most women want to be kept by some filthy rich sugar-daddy. ;)

Last edited:

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
Re: Women would rather be housewives

Women would rather be housewives

It has been nearly a century since Emily Pankhurst organised a parade of 30,000 women to encourage employers to allow women to take over men's jobs during the First World War.

But Emily and the Suffragettes' efforts appear somewhat wasted when it comes to teenagers in 2008.
Young girls today would rather be housewives than engineers, a survey has found.

In a poll of more than 500 girls aged 13-18, just four per cent of girls dream of being an engineer while a surprising 12 per cent said they want to grow up to be a housewife.

Girls are put off because such careers "don't sound glamorous" and a similar number said they were "jobs for boys."

In a world that seems to promote idleness, revered celebrities such as royal WAG Kate Middleton and heiress Paris Hilton send girls the message that you don't necessarily need a job to make millions or bag yourself a prince.

The most popular career choice was modelling followed by acting and refreshingly, more than a quarter want to be teachers and just under a quarter want to be a lawyer or journalist.

The survey was carried out by Noise (New Outlooks in Science & Engineering), which aims to attract more young people into science-based careers.

The survey polled 506 13-18 year-olds in August this year.

Read more: Women would rather be housewives than engineers | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

--------------------------------
Personally, I think most women want to be kept by some filthy rich sugar-daddy. ;)
Uh...they didn't ask my girls.

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
Re: Women would rather be housewives

What I'd like to know is why the options are Engineer or housewife. Why do these girls need to "bag a prince"? Mine will be taught to do whatever makes them happy while making sure they can stand on their own 2 feet. Then they can choose to share their lives with a prince or a pauper or even a princess ...or not.

Then the headline should say girls and not women.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Though retired as a softball coach, I still attend many high school games. As usual such games are attended by many girls and I often hear them conversing about their future plans. Many, indeed, do say they want to be housewives - but modern day housewives. In other words, the type who can work from home while raising families. Unlike the past there are many career opportunities today where girls and women (and even some men) can work from home. This helps people avoid traffic snarls and other difficulties of modern urban life. Therefore, I am not surprised that many girls today want to stay home - but it would be more accurate to say they prefer to work from home rather than be the Ozzie & Harriet type housewife of 1960s television.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
When I was 13 I wanted to be a goat farmer. When I was 15 I just wanted out of my parents house (I did leave) by 18 I was a hair stylist and just wanted to sleep in.

I wonder if many parents talk with (not to, with) their kids about career possibilities? Mine never really did, at least not talk WITH me. Lots of lectures about what would happen if I didn't "knuckle down".

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
didn't speak to my girls either.

being a stay at home wife also containes a very important task, and that is raising the children, nurturing
them, loving them, and guiding them along the way.

that can be done along with part time work, working from the home.

being a housewife doesn't mean sitting at the neighbours drinking coffee all day and gossiping,
but that aspect does exist.

smart women have many abilities which include being at home with their children, much can be
learned at home, and the smart mothers pass that intelligence on to their children.

the word housewife is an old one, And the stigma attached to that name doesn't really exist
any longer, as well as the word.

if many girls want to remain at home that is fine, they can be productive people while at home,
with all of the technology of today right there with them.

i taught my daughters to read starting at the age of three with a manual machine i purchased with
enclyclopedias, but today that process would be much more efficient, as there were no computers
back then.

but after saying that, they 'all' started school able to do phonics and read quite well. one
teacher actually told me i had interferred with the school program, and i should not have done
that, well, she and i had quite a long chat, along with the principal, and all was well after that,
three of my four daughters skipped a grade along the way, the fourth was a late in the year
birthday, and the choice was not to skip her ahead, which i agreed with.

there are many many different types of stay at home wives/mothers, and the word housewife should
be scrapped.

many women would love to be at home, but financial necessities donot allow that
to happen, not many families can live these days on 'one' income.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Housewife with broadband and a credit card with no limit. Who wouldn't want to stay at home?
It should only take 3% of the population to keep 97% of the population living in the lap of luxury. We have a ways to go before we aren't just struggling to survive.