Humans will be extinct in 100 years says eminent scientist


B00Mer
+1
#1
Humans will be extinct in 100 years says eminent scientist



(PhysOrg.com) -- Eminent Australian scientist Professor Frank Fenner, who helped to wipe out smallpox, predicts humans will probably be extinct within 100 years, because of overpopulation, environmental destruction and climate change.

Fenner, who is emeritus professor of microbiology at the Australian National University (ANU) in Canberra, said homo sapiens will not be able to survive the population explosion and “unbridled consumption,” and will become extinct, perhaps within a century, along with many other species. United Nations official figures from last year estimate the human population is 6.8 billion, and is predicted to pass seven billion next year.

Fenner told The Australian he tries not to express his pessimism because people are trying to do something, but keep putting it off. He said he believes the situation is irreversible, and it is too late because the effects we have had on Earth since industrialization (a period now known to scientists unofficially as the Anthropocene) rivals any effects of ice ages or comet impacts.



Fenner said that climate change is only at its beginning, but is likely to be the cause of our extinction. “We’ll undergo the same fate as the people on Easter Island,” he said. More people means fewer resources, and Fenner predicts “there will be a lot more wars over food.”

Easter Island is famous for its massive stone statues. Polynesian people settled there, in what was then a pristine tropical island, around the middle of the first millennium AD. The population grew slowly at first and then exploded. As the population grew the forests were wiped out and all the tree animals became extinct, both with devastating consequences. After about 1600 the civilization began to collapse, and had virtually disappeared by the mid-19th century. Evolutionary biologist Jared Diamond said the parallels between what happened on Easter Island and what is occurring today on the planet as a whole are “chillingly obvious.”

While many scientists are also pessimistic, others are more optimistic. Among the latter is a colleague of Professor Fenner, retired professor Stephen Boyden, who said he still hopes awareness of the problems will rise and the required revolutionary changes will be made to achieve ecological sustainability. “While there's a glimmer of hope, it's worth working to solve the problem. We have the scientific knowledge to do it but we don't have the political will,” Boyden said.


Fenner, 95, is the author or co-author of 22 books and 290 scientific papers and book chapters. His announcement in 1980 to the World Health Assembly that smallpox had been eradicated is still seen as one of the World Health Organisation’s greatest achievements. He has also been heavily involved in controlling Australia’s feral rabbit population with the myxomatosis virus.

Professor Fenner has had a lifetime interest in the environment, and from 1973 to 1979 was Director of the Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies at ANU. He is currently a visiting fellow at the John Curtin School of Medical Research at the university, and is a patron of Sustainable Population Australia. He has won numerous awards including the ANZAC Peace Prize, the WHO Medal, and the Albert Einstein World Award of Science. He was awarded an MBE for his work on control of malaria in New Guinea during the Second World War, in which Fenner served in the Royal Australian Army Medical Corps.

Professor Fenner will open the Healthy Climate, Planet and People symposium at the Australian Academy of Science next week.

Read more at: Humans will be extinct in 100 years says eminent scientist

-------------------------------------

well that sorta sucks
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+6 / -2
#2  Top Rated Post
Yeah, and the Arctic will be ice free in 2013.
 
Spade
#3
Malthus thuckth.
 
QuebecCanadian
#4
Didn't get past the headline before I concluded this eminent scientist is a flake.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by QuebecCanadianView Post

Didn't get past the headline before I concluded this eminent scientist is a flake.

When speaking of scientists, "eminent" usually means "hasn't done a hand's turn of useful work in 40 years."
 
taxslave
+2
#6
No worries. Us, our children and grandchildren will be dead by then anyway.
 
Cliffy
+4 / -1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

No worries. Us, our children and grandchildren will be dead by then anyway.

Yup, why care about the great grandchildren you will never see. That is their problem, eh? Let's rape and pillage the resources while we can. At least we will be able to have the good life while our grandkids choke in our effluent and affluence.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Yup, why care about the great grandchildren you will never see. That is their problem, eh? Let's rape and pillage the resources while we can. At least we will be able to have the good life while our grandkids choke in our effluent and affluence.

Sounds like a plan.
 
gerryh
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Yup, why care about the great grandchildren you will never see. That is their problem, eh? Let's rape and pillage the resources while we can. At least we will be able to have the good life while our grandkids choke in our effluent and affluence.


The only ones I hear putting this forward are fear mongers like yourself and morons like taxslave.
 
taxslave
+2
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

The only ones I hear putting this forward are fear mongers like yourself and morons like taxslave.

For you resident retards I will try to remember to do sarcasm in purple.
 
gerryh
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

For you resident retards I will try to remember to do sarcasm in purple.

It's not like I haven't heard similar sentiments in the past by the terminally selfish and stupid.
 
petros
+1
#12
What a load of crap.
 
Timetrvlr
+3
#13
Think about it a moment, if 99.999% of the 7 billion humans died, there would still be a large viable breeding population and we do that so well. We are survivors, like cockroaches, we will be there at the end. The Professor is full of ****.
 
JLM
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

The only ones I hear putting this forward are fear mongers like yourself and morons like taxslave.


You may have missed a little "tongue in cheek" there, Gerry.

Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Humans will be extinct in 100 years says eminent scientist



(PhysOrg.com) -- Eminent Australian scientist Professor Frank Fenner, who helped to wipe out smallpox, predicts humans will probably be extinct within 100 years, because of overpopulation, environmental destruction and climate change.

Fenner, who is emeritus professor of microbiology at the Australian National University (ANU) in Canberra, said homo sapiens will not be able to survive the population explosion and “unbridled consumption,” and will become extinct, perhaps within a century, along with many other species. United Nations official figures from last year estimate the human population is 6.8 billion, and is predicted to pass seven billion next year.


I think it may take more than 100 years as a few people are starting to pay heed.

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

It's not like I haven't heard similar sentiments in the past by the terminally selfish and stupid.


Is there anyone you approve of Gerry? -
 
WLDB
+1
#15
If the Cold War were still going on and he said this Id say there was a good chance he was right. If we are extinct in 100 years it'll be our own fault one way or another. I doubt we will though. Unfortunately either way no one alive here and now will be able to say "I told you so."
 
SLM
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

If the Cold War were still going on and he said this Id say there was a good chance he was right. If we are extinct in 100 years it'll be our own fault one way or another. I doubt we will though. Unfortunately either way no one alive here and now will be able to say "I told you so."

Well they say that once it goes on the internet it's there forever. So you kind of sort of just did.
 
pgs
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Yup, why care about the great grandchildren you will never see. That is their problem, eh? Let's rape and pillage the resources while we can. At least we will be able to have the good life while our grandkids choke in our effluent and affluence.

I know us conservatives want to cut down all the trees and put power plants on every corner .
 
taxslave
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

I know us conservatives want to cut down all the trees and put power plants on every corner .

Not every corner. Just at the other end of the block.
 
mentalfloss
+2
#19
Too pessimistic I would say.

The science is pretty firm on the cause but the scope of damage is still up in the air.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Too pessimistic I would say.

The science is pretty firm on the cause but the scope of damage is still up in the air.

It's well short of extinction, though. Apparently this eminent environmental scientist has never heard of a die-back.
 
Spade
#21
Humanity is another red tide.
 
lone wolf
#22
One asteroid....
 
Praxius
+3
#23
100 years.... Sure sure.... This is yet another one of those doomsday prophecies like Y2K, 2012, etc.

Just add it to the list:
A Brief History of the Apocalypse

^ and it's a very long list.

Humans won't go extinct any time soon. When the crap looks like it's hitting the fan, people will head into their bomb shelters or hide out in the forests and caves to wait it out while everybody kills themselves off fighting wars over jarred pickles and processed hot dogs.

Worst case scenario and his predictions are accurate?

Nuke a couple of third world nations and drop the population down a chunk or two, problem solved.

Target the ones where people keep living in deserts and places they can't grow crap in, who keep begging for donations and food supplies from charities and governments because they're too damn lazy to learn how to grow their own food, or dig their own wells (or move) while their kids get money from middle class families halfway around the world to go to school, learn their ABC's in clean looking clothes, only to graduate and end up like their parents who keep begging for donations and handouts because they're too lazy and ignorant to do anything for themselves.

Nuke em Ricco, solve the world's problems, stop the vicious cycle and save humanity in the process.

Yeah I know, me being weed free for three years has turned me into such a loving bowel of sunshine and cupcakes...... I love you all.
 
Twila
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Well they say that once it goes on the internet it's there forever. So you kind of sort of just did.

I thought it had to be on Facebook to be real? or is it any social media now?
 
SLM
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

I thought it had to be on Facebook to be real? or is it any social media now?

Nobody said it had to be real. Just that it will be there forever.

I think when it comes to the internet, real is a subjective term.
 
EagleSmack
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Too pessimistic I would say.

The science is pretty firm on the cause but the scope of damage is still up in the air.

 
JLM
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Nobody said it had to be real. Just that it will be there forever.

I think when it comes to the internet, real is a subjective term.


I'm dumb (stupid) when it comes to the Internet, but like any organization is there not one head honcho in charge? Does it not need cleaning up once in awhile or does Little Johnny's episode of playing hookey from school just stay on there ad infinitum? Isn't there eventually going to be such a clutter it may be impossible to find anything? (Actually it's that way now as is obvious when you try to Google something)

Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Humans will be extinct in 100 years says eminent scientist



(PhysOrg.com) -- Eminent Australian scientist Professor Frank Fenner, who helped to wipe out smallpox, predicts humans will probably be extinct within 100 years, because of overpopulation, environmental destruction and climate change.


I'm sure by that time we will have morphed into some other similar creature!
 
Twila
+1
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I'm dumb (stupid) when it comes to the Internet, but like any organization is there not one head honcho in charge? Does it not need cleaning up once in awhile or does Little Johnny's episode of playing hookey from school just stay on there ad infinitum? Isn't there eventually going to be such a clutter it may be impossible to find anything? (Actually it's that way now as is obvious when you try to Google something)




I'm sure by that time we will have morphed into some other similar creature!

I found my daughters gr.8 report card on line (she'd been on the honour roll at her school) a month or so ago. She was in gr 8 nearly 10 years ago!
 
JLM
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

I found my daughters gr.8 report card on line (she'd been on the honour roll at her school) a month or so ago. She was in gr 8 nearly 10 years ago!


There's an example of the good side of it. Someone else's daughter may have been caught hooking during lunch break. -
 
BaalsTears
+2
#30
Humans will become extinct shortly after machines become self aware.
 

Similar Threads

2
Eminent Domain With Vengeance
by Locutus | Jul 7th, 2013
21
Humans Nearly Extinct 70,000 Years Ago
by mt_pockets1000 | Apr 26th, 2008
0
EMINENT DOMAIN
by mrmom2 | Jul 10th, 2005
no new posts