1/3 of Canadian university students functionally illiterate

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A very easy stats to correct.

Stop filling our schools with foreign students and language skills will skyrocket.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I knew plenty of meatheads that had to retake the English Competency Test during my university stay in North Bay.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
a study that evaluates adult literacy, math, and problem-solving skills has found that 27 per cent of canadians with at least a bachelor’s degree don’t have the basic literacy skills to function in society.
the programme for the international assessment of adult competencies (piaac) study uses five levels to assess respondents’ proficiency in literacy and numeracy, and set level 3 as the minimum skill set needed to cope with daily life.
six per cent of canadian grads were found to function at level 1 or below. Tasks at this level involve reading short, simple texts to find one piece of information, and understanding very basic vocabulary.
and the overall stats for numeracy were even worse than literacy, with 31 per cent functioning at less than level 3.

So the people in this "Study" have a bachelor’s degree or greater, obviously graduated high school and their post secondary education.

The same people who filled out their college/university course applications, student loan forms, written exams and more than likely have some kind of job by now..... And yet magically passed and had all of the above approved to get to where they are, but "don’t have the basic literacy skills to function in society."

Seem to be functioning quite well in society I'd say.

Either this study (which I didn't see a link or reference to) screwed up and the people doing the study need to go back to school, or the people who did the study set the bar for society too high, as it would seem society is the one letting these people function quite well with their below ape level literacy.

"Tasks at this level involve reading short, simple texts to find one piece of information, and understanding very basic vocabulary"

So they handed them a cat in the hat book, asked them to find the word "cat" and they couldn't either find the word or understand the word's meaning, or both.

Basically the way they worded themselves was that these post secondary grads couldn't pull off a grade 1 task..... Yet could answer the questions and assignments given to them in college / university good enough to graduate?

I call bullsh*t on the whole thing and it just goes to show that you can find a useless study for anything out there.

Maybe

Just maybe the people in this "Study" thought the same thing and just screwed around to botch their statistics and findings and made themselves out to be dumber than a snot brick in winter for their own amusement.

I know I probably would..... But I just have two mediocre diplomas and a certificate from three seperate courses, what do I know?

Oh and the last time I voted, I voted NDP *gasp!*

Yes... It all makes sense now.

If you guys ever want to see the true meaning of not grasping English and literacy skills to function in society, check out some gaming forums, or better yet, check out the Steam Discussions by gamers.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
or better yet check out my FB feed

sometimes I have to read what they have written multiple times, fill in the blankets myself and just take it from my guess at "intent"

oh and they are not NDP or liberal...they are Republican...

so I would say, both sides share the burden eh?

lmao