Stephen Fry is boycotting The Dorchester Collection of hotels

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Michael Coren ‏@michaelcoren

Well done! All of us - gay, straight, Christian, Jewish, atheist, etc - should follow suit. Barbarism unacceptable: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2614852/Stephen-Fry-boycotts-Coworth-Park-hotel-owned-Sultan-Brunei-anti-gay-law.html …

Stephen Fry is boycotting The Dorchester Collection of hotels, owned by the Sultan of Brunei, after the country introduced a law to punish gays with death by stoning.

The journalist and presenter cancelled his stay at luxury hotel Coworth Park, in Berkshire, as it is part of the hotel group owned by the Sultan, Hassanal Bolkiah.

The star tweeted his decision, making him the latest in a line of celebrities to boycott hotels within the group, which includes two London hotels - The Dorchester and 45 Park Lane - as well as hotels in Paris, Geneva, Milan, Rome and the US.

story

Stephen Fry boycotts Coworth Park hotel owned by Sultan of Brunei over anti-gay law | Mail Online

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don't see what it's got to do with Stephen Fry.

I also doubt the Sultan of Brunei - which was part of the British Empire from 1888 until 1984 - is likely to change his country's laws just because a self-important, self-righteous guy who once played Melchett in Blackadder has decided not to stay at his Berkshire hotel. I think Brunei is likely to carry on regardless.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I don't see what it's got to do with Stephen Fry.

I also doubt the Sultan of Brunei - which was part of the British Empire from 1888 until 1984 - is likely to change his country's laws just because a self-important, self-righteous guy who once played Melchett in Blackadder has decided not to stay at his Berkshire hotel. I think Brunei is likely to carry on regardless.

Fry is gay. I'd say it has a lot to do with him. Why would he support such barbarism?

If the Saudi's were stoning whiney pompous idiots such as yourself you'd be boycottiing anything they did as well.

Lucky for you they're not, but I'm working on a petition.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Fry is gay. I'd say it has a lot to do with him. Why would he support such barbarism?

If the Saudi's were stoning whiney pompous idiots such as yourself you'd be boycottiing anything they did as well.

Lucky for you they're not, but I'm working on a petition.
Put me in. I can also provide a variety of cemetery listings, every name is dead on the money.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Fry is gay. I'd say it has a lot to do with him.

It's got nothing to do with him whatsoever, just as the fact that alcohol is illegal in Brunei also has nothing to do with those in Britain and other countries who like a pint of beer or a glass of wine. Maybe I shoudl boycott Brunei because I like drinking lager.

What's this got to do with the Saudis?

And if any pompous idiot should be stoned to death it's a luvvie like Stephen Fry.

The laws of Brunei have got sod all to do with him, and his pointless act of boycotting The Dorchester Collection of hotels is just that - a pointless act which will change nothing.

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
no I like Stephen Fry... :p

Oh you just wait till my smilies work again...............I'll give you such a tongue............er, well, you know what I mean eh.

It's got nothing to do with him whatsoever, just as the fact that alcohol is illegal in Brunei also has nothing to do with those in Britain and other countries who like a pint of beer or a glass of wine. Maybe I shoudl boycott Brunei because I like drinking lager.

What's this got to do with the Saudis?

And if any pompous idiot should be stoned to death it's a luvvie like Stephen Fry.

The laws of Brunei have got sod all to do with him, and his pointless act of boycotting The Dorchester Collection of hotels is just that - a pointless act which will change nothing.[/QUOTE

Blackie, you should take your act on the road. Make a fortune.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Oh you just wait till my smilies work again...............I'll give you such a tongue............er, well, you know what I mean eh.
sucks to be you honey bunny....:lol::cyclopsani::stop::female:

:toothy7::eek:ccasion5:

how come your smilies don't work Nug?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
no I like Stephen Fry... :p

I don't. He's just a pointless, self-righteous member of the Twitterati making pointless, self-righteous Tweets.

Blackie, you should take your act on the road. Make a fortune.

I don't see why not. My down-to-earth, normal, man-on-the-street views have lots of supporters - unlike those of Mr Fry.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Richard Branson @richardbranson · May 3

No @Virgin employee, nor our family, will stay at Dorchester Hotels until the Sultan abides by basic human rights

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/stephen-fry-boycotts-bruneiowned-hotel-chain-the-dorchester-collection-after-country-pass-stone-the-gays-law-9296744.html …

Relevant to this

#LetsPretendWeAreDoingSomething

Remember #kony2012, if you're on Twitter?

And now the equally useless #bringbackourgirls. All the important people are chattering.
Twits.

This is the difference between politicians and business leaders. One talks about doing things, the other does.

http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/archives/this-hillary-is.html#comments

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'll say again: The laws of Brunei have not nothing to do with Fry or Branson, and NO amount of useless tweets by the Twitterati will change that MUSLIM country's anti-homosexuality laws.

I'll say one good thing about the Muslims: they stick by their beliefs that homosexuality is a sin and don't let their religious beliefs get rode roughshod over like PC Christians in Europe and North America do.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I'll say again: The laws of Brunei have not nothing to do with Fry or Branson, and NO amount of useless tweets by the Twitterati will change that MUSLIM country's anti-homosexuality laws.

I'll say one good thing about the Muslims: they stick by their beliefs that homosexuality is a sin and don't let their religious beliefs get rode roughshod over like PC Christians in Europe and North America do.

Oh bullsh*t ! Just because we don't kill people if they don't agree with us, doesn't mean we don't have our beliefs...........such as they are.
You really are a dimwit aren't you

sucks to be you honey bunny....:lol::cyclopsani::stop::female:

:toothy7::eek:ccasion5:

how come your smilies don't work Nug?

Some dirty fukker broke them. Some slimey, lower than a snakes belly, whales fins, and worms house, BROKE THEM. I just read your question now. Sorry for the late reply. (big kissy smiley here)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Hollywood "Stars" Boycott Brunei, Hollywood "Blockbusters" Play In Brunei Cinemas

I spell hypocrisy "H-O-L-L-Y-W-O-O-D"

The Stars are boycotting the Sultan of Brunei's hotel chain because of the recently instituted "homophobic" sharia law regime.

I note Hollywood still seems to care about Brunei as a source of foreign market revenue however.

9 Other Sharia-Financed Projects Hollywood Should Boycott

Blazing Cat Fur: Hollywood "Stars" Boycott Brunei, Hollywood "Blockbusters" Play In Brunei Cinemas

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
wooooo hooo

Thanks SLM.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.--The pink stucco palace known as the Beverly Hills Hotel has long been a symbol of Hollywood glamour and affluence, the place where Elizabeth Taylor decamped for six of her eight honeymoons. Now it's become the unlikely epicenter of protest against a new set of harsh laws enacted by the Islamic country of Brunei.

The opulent hotel is part of the Dorchester Collection, a luxury chain owned by the Sultan of Brunei. This week, the tiny, oil-rich southeast Asian country set off a storm of celebrity protests and boycotts by introducing Islamic laws that include death by stoning for homosexuals and adulterers.

Over the past several days, 20 events have been canceled at the Beverly Hills property--a loss of about $2 million in revenue for the hotel, according to Dorchester. Local politicians and celebrities are also boycotting the nearby Hotel Bel Air in Los Angeles, the hotel's more subdued sister property.

Big names like Jay Leno and Ellen DeGeneres are urging boycotts, and the Beverly Hills mayor and council are calling for Dorchester to sell the famed hotel.

Dorchester, which runs 10 hotels world-wide, is looking to expand globally and has said it is seeking to acquire a luxury property in New York. Hotel analysts say the publicity surrounding protests against the company could complicate efforts to operate a Manhattan hotel, where there is also opposition to the new law.

more

Protests Swell at Beverly Hills Hotel - WSJ.com