Feminist summer camp launching in Saskatoon

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
isn't that special

Saskatoon’s first “Feminist Summer Camp” will involve much more than women talking about women’s rights.

“Women are not yet at an equal level, but I think feminism is about equality of gender. Feminism is for everybody,” said co-ordinator Tanya Andrusieczko.

She said the camp, which begins May 26, will offer sessions on the objectification of women in the media and pop culture. But they’ll also cover topics such as gender identity among First Nations and other cultural groups or women in politics. There will also be a panel of men talking about their support for feminist principles, she said.

“Men are allies in the feminist movement,” she said.

Andrusieczko notes men also face pressure to conform to unreasonable societal standards.

“Guys have to be tough and keep their emotions under wraps. That can suppress honesty and lead to aggression.

“That’s not fair to men,” she said.

The camp is designed to promote connections that will last beyond this year. Participants will learn ways to promote feminist philosophy and gender equality and “counter-narratives” among their peers and family, on social media and in the wider media.

She said many gains have been made in recent decades, but women still face discrimination and inequality.

“We’ve come a long way, but there’s much more that needs to be done,” said Andrusieczko.

The camp runs for 10 consecutive Monday evenings. Most sessions will be held in a classroom at the Saskatoon Food Bank, with a few in community gardens or other locations.

Women and men are welcome, and up to 30 participants can take part.

© Copyright (c) The StarPhoenix

Feminist summer camp launching in Saskatoon

feminist summer camp - Home

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Objectification...

So basically they want everyone to be ugly like them?

No, I think it just means that some women would like to walk down the street and NOT be told to smile or be hit on and then called a bi&ch or cu$* for saying they`re not interested.

Seems small potatoes I know, but sometimes when you`re small and those surrounding you are big...

Here`s an add run in India to show men just how creepy it is to stare at women. I hope people watch it. It`s a bit of an eye opener for some people. Both men AND women.

This Ad From India Shows Men Exactly How Creepy They Are When They Stare At Women On The Street

Here`s one from France. It`s typically French. With topless women running

A French Film Showing Men What Being A Woman Feels Like Kinda Nails It

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
No, I think it just means that some women would like to walk down the street and NOT be told to smile or be hit on and then called a bi&ch or cu$* for saying they`re not interested.

Seems small potatoes I know, but sometimes when you`re small and those surrounding you are big...

Here`s an add run in India to show men just how creepy it is to stare at women. I hope people watch it. It`s a bit of an eye opener for some people. Both men AND women.

This Ad From India Shows Men Exactly How Creepy They Are When They Stare At Women On The Street

Here`s one from France. It`s typically French. With topless women running

A French Film Showing Men What Being A Woman Feels Like Kinda Nails It

Twila, in all fairness. Women have the same rights as men and only idiots do the things described. This isn't India, this is Canada where if you will find yourself talking to HR if you hit on a woman in the workplace and she objects.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Twila, in all fairness. Women have the same rights as men and only idiots do the things described. This isn't India, this is Canada where if you will find yourself talking to HR if you hit on a woman in the workplace and she objects.

RCS, not being a woman, I don`t think you would be aware of what it`s like. Women in North America are stared at just the same. It's not an Indian thing.

Women do have the same rights. However, women do not get the same pay for the same work.

In several studies where women and men competed for the same job with the same qualifications and answering questions the exact same:

Men were considered confident, capable and trustworthy
Women were considered bitchy, aggressive and unreasonable.

Same education, same skill set, answered the questions the same.

Let me share this video with you. This women explains some of the differences that happen with women. She's very eloquent.
Watch A Student Totally Nail Something About Women That I've Been Trying To Articulate For 37 Years

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh no...... They expect it all.

For example my sister in-law is a basket case but very pretty. My daughter and her friends were talking about her when one piped up and said "she is soooo pretty she should have a great job and piles of money."

Apparently if you are pretty money and opportunity are supposed to fall from the sky.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Oh no...... They expect it all.

For example my sister in-law is a basket case but very pretty. My daughter and her friends were talking about her when one piped up and said "she is soooo pretty she should have a great job and piles of money."

Apparently if you are pretty money and opportunity are supposed to fall from the sky.

Sounds like they've also got things backwards and need some feminist enlightenment.