Feminist summer camp launching in Saskatoon

Locutus
isn't that special

Saskatoon’s first “Feminist Summer Camp” will involve much more than women talking about women’s rights.

“Women are not yet at an equal level, but I think feminism is about equality of gender. Feminism is for everybody,” said co-ordinator Tanya Andrusieczko.

She said the camp, which begins May 26, will offer sessions on the objectification of women in the media and pop culture. But they’ll also cover topics such as gender identity among First Nations and other cultural groups or women in politics. There will also be a panel of men talking about their support for feminist principles, she said.

“Men are allies in the feminist movement,” she said.

Andrusieczko notes men also face pressure to conform to unreasonable societal standards.

“Guys have to be tough and keep their emotions under wraps. That can suppress honesty and lead to aggression.

“That’s not fair to men,” she said.

The camp is designed to promote connections that will last beyond this year. Participants will learn ways to promote feminist philosophy and gender equality and “counter-narratives” among their peers and family, on social media and in the wider media.

She said many gains have been made in recent decades, but women still face discrimination and inequality.

“We’ve come a long way, but there’s much more that needs to be done,” said Andrusieczko.

The camp runs for 10 consecutive Monday evenings. Most sessions will be held in a classroom at the Saskatoon Food Bank, with a few in community gardens or other locations.

Women and men are welcome, and up to 30 participants can take part.

© Copyright (c) The StarPhoenix

Feminist summer camp launching in Saskatoon (external - login to view)

feminist summer camp - Home (external - login to view)

petros
Jesus!

Retired_Can_Soldier
Objectification...

So basically they want everyone to be ugly like them?

BaalsTears
Real men don't put down toilet seats in unisex public restrooms.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Objectification...

Not only to be ugly but eat salad laced with pine nuts too.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
#6  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

And no shaving! Can't wear a skimpy bikini if your smuggling tarantulas.

petros

Thank God Bare A$s Beach washed away in last years floods.

Twila
+1

Objectification...

No, I think it just means that some women would like to walk down the street and NOT be told to smile or be hit on and then called a bi&ch or cu$* for saying they`re not interested.

Seems small potatoes I know, but sometimes when you`re small and those surrounding you are big...

Here`s an add run in India to show men just how creepy it is to stare at women. I hope people watch it. It`s a bit of an eye opener for some people. Both men AND women.

This Ad From India Shows Men Exactly How Creepy They Are When They Stare At Women On The Street (external - login to view)

Here`s one from France. It`s typically French. With topless women running

A French Film Showing Men What Being A Woman Feels Like Kinda Nails It (external - login to view)

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

No, I think it just means that some women would like to walk down the street and NOT be told to smile or be hit on and then called a bi&ch or cu$* for saying they`re not interested.

Seems small potatoes I know, but sometimes when you`re small and those surrounding you are big...

Here`s an add run in India to show men just how creepy it is to stare at women. I hope people watch it. It`s a bit of an eye opener for some people. Both men AND women.

This Ad From India Shows Men Exactly How Creepy They Are When They Stare At Women On The Street (external - login to view)

Here`s one from France. It`s typically French. With topless women running

A French Film Showing Men What Being A Woman Feels Like Kinda Nails It (external - login to view)

Twila, in all fairness. Women have the same rights as men and only idiots do the things described. This isn't India, this is Canada where if you will find yourself talking to HR if you hit on a woman in the workplace and she objects.

Twila
+1

Twila, in all fairness. Women have the same rights as men and only idiots do the things described. This isn't India, this is Canada where if you will find yourself talking to HR if you hit on a woman in the workplace and she objects.

RCS, not being a woman, I don`t think you would be aware of what it`s like. Women in North America are stared at just the same. It's not an Indian thing.

Women do have the same rights. However, women do not get the same pay for the same work.

In several studies where women and men competed for the same job with the same qualifications and answering questions the exact same:

Men were considered confident, capable and trustworthy
Women were considered bitchy, aggressive and unreasonable.

Same education, same skill set, answered the questions the same.

Let me share this video with you. This women explains some of the differences that happen with women. She's very eloquent.
Watch A Student Totally Nail Something About Women That I've Been Trying To Articulate For 37 Years (external - login to view)

petros
Quote:

Women were considered bitchy, aggressive and unreasonable.

Have you spoken with any 20 something females lately? That describes them to a T.

Sal

Jesus!

yeah, my first thought too

I like pine nuts baby...

sure ya can...any guy under 40 now shaves everything so it's all good

Twila

Have you spoken with any 20 something females lately? That describes them to a T.

Have you heard 20 something males lately...

petros

Have you heard 20 something males lately...

Yeah the poor bastards have to deal with all the Princesses who think they are entitled to the planet.

Twila
+2

Yeah the poor bastards have to deal with all the Princesses who think they are entitled to the planet.

50% of it at least.

petros
Oh no...... They expect it all.

For example my sister in-law is a basket case but very pretty. My daughter and her friends were talking about her when one piped up and said "she is soooo pretty she should have a great job and piles of money."

Apparently if you are pretty money and opportunity are supposed to fall from the sky.

Twila

Oh no...... They expect it all.

For example my sister in-law is a basket case but very pretty. My daughter and her friends were talking about her when one piped up and said "she is soooo pretty she should have a great job and piles of money."

Apparently if you are pretty money and opportunity are supposed to fall from the sky.

Sounds like they've also got things backwards and need some feminist enlightenment.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Sounds like they've also got things backwards and need some feminist enlightenment.

Oh Twila knock off all that crazy talk and make me a sandwich.

petros

How did they get it backwards? It's what they've been trained to think.

Twila

How did they get it backwards? It's what they've been trained to think.

so, you agree with them then?

Oh Twila knock off all that crazy talk and make me a sandwich.

oh RCS, I'd love to make YOU a sandwich
Last edited by Twila; Apr 22nd, 2014 at 12:44 PM..

petros

Where did you get that silly idea?

Twila

Where did you get that silly idea?

You're defending them when I suggested they had gotten something backwards.

Tecumsehsbones
+2

Be sure to slice him real thin. These old coots can be tougher'n shoe leather.

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Be sure to slice him real thin. These old coots can be tougher'n shoe leather.

I thought the idea was to gobble not chew.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1

That's what I like about you Twila, you get my sense of humor and... You make great sandwiches.

Sal
+1
mastication

sounds dirty

eh1eh
I can't wait for the book, "Zickig Kampf".

Twila
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

mastication

sounds dirty

Should never be done with the mouth open...

Funny, that it totally DOES sound dirty...something that ceiling cat would watch...

Sal

Should never be done with the mouth open...

Funny, that it totally DOES sound dirty...something that ceiling cat would watch...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeew mouth open... hate those, and food suckers, just masticate with your mouth closed (mouth breathers need not eat) and don't suck it to death puleese

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

don't suck it to death puleese

Is that even possible?