Canada & USA Join, what would be the political makeup??

B00Mer
If the USA and Canada joined, would the Conservatives ever win an election again??

Machjo
+1
The US Democrats are comparable to the Conservative Party of Canada, so they'd probably form a colation. The Republicans and the Liberals and NDP would be on their own. Well, no, the Liberals might join with Social Democrats USA, an insignificant party, as the Greens would. But the Republicans and NDP would still be left on their own.

BaalsTears
+2
There are too many leftists in Canada. That would entrench leftism in a union between Canada and America. The resulting political entity would be a land of douchebags.

WLDB
+2
Canada has the population of one of the US's larger states so I doubt it would make much of a difference. A merger would suck in any case.

petros
We are already heavily integrated.

BaalsTears
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

We are already heavily integrated.

How's that working out?

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

How's that working out?

Not great when competing in energy exports.

Nuggler
+2

There are too many leftists in Canada. That would entrench leftism in a union between Canada and America. The resulting political entity would be a land of douchebags.

You would certainly know all about being a douchebag.

Sal
+3
#9  Top Rated Post

How's that working out?

so why be here in the forum hanging out with a bunch of douche bags...

just wondering is all

oh and whoever gave ya the greenie calling us douche bags should just fuk off and move south

Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

If the USA and Canada joined, would the Conservatives ever win an election again??

Boomer you are 100% American now...you moved there precisely because you did not like Canada correct? So now that you are there and loving it, why do you persist in wishing Canada to join with the States. Is it a power thing or what?

Canadians do not wish to be American...why do Americans wish we did? I have run into this before with an American...he was one angry individual because Canadians didn't want to be Americans. They were the best. They were the strongest... well that's nice. So why not just enjoy it then. Why the need to keep pressing it?

I seriously don't get it. You already know from your other threads that we do not wish to join you. If we did, we could just move south.

So, what's up with that? I really am trying to understand the mentality.

Nuggler
+2 / -1
trolls and as sholes, Sal. Trolls and as sholes

B00Mer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

trolls and as sholes, Sal. Trolls and as sholes

You would certainly know all about being a troll and as shole.. wouldn't you Nuggler.

Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

Boomer you are 100% American now...you moved there precisely because you did not like Canada correct? So now that you are there and loving it, why do you persist in wishing Canada to join with the States. Is it a power thing or what?

Of give it a rest Sal... it's a political question... nothing more, nothing less.. quit trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill..

I was surfing the Internet and found the pic of the map.. I thought it was a little to blue for my taste, and made a post to see what the opinion of others is...

That's it, That's all Sal.

@ the same time, I also found these pics and posted them to members walls...

Cliffy's Profile

Blackleaf's Profile

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

You would certainly know all about being a troll and as shole.. wouldn't you Nuggler.

Of give it a rest Sal... it's a political question... nothing more, nothing less.. quit trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill..

I was surfing the Internet and found the pic of the map.. I thought it was a little to blue for my taste, and made a post to see what the opinion of others is...

That's it, That's all Sal.

@ the same time, I also found these pics and posted them to members walls...

Cliffy's Profile

Blackleaf's Profile

Boomer
Yaaal plannnin onne of dem daer vasions the ruskies rre adouin. Weelll rre ya

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Boomer
Yaaal plannnin onne of dem daer vasions the ruskies rre adouin. Weelll rre ya

Yeah, but the USA will take Alberta, like Russia took Crimea

BaalsTears
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

You would certainly know all about being a douchebag.

You have nothing to gain by personalizing the conversation.

B00Mer
+1

You have nothing to gain by personalizing the conversation.

Evidence of low self esteem, making himself feel better at the expense of others..

BaalsTears
+1

so why be here in the forum hanging out with a bunch of douche bags...

just wondering is all

There are lots of Canadians who aren't leftists. But even if all Canadians were leftists that would be fine as long as Canada and America remain at arm's length politically. The problem is when a North American Union is discussed. Any such union would tip the balance in the Home of the Brave in favor of leftists on a permanent basis.

Why would Canada and America become a single polity? Because we love each other and feel so much affinity?

No. Such a union would be pursued in order to advance the interests of Statists and Big Business. I can't even believe Canadians are not denouncing the mere suggestion of a union because the sole element uniting Canadians is the fact they aren't Americans.

Quote:

oh and whoever gave ya the greenie calling us douche bags should just fuk off and move south

Don't you think that part of your post is gratuitous?

When I'm in Canada and discuss closer Canadian/American cooperation with Canucks I always tell them it would be foolish from a Canadian perspective because it would permit the American disease of political hatred to infect the Canadian body politic.

Tecumsehsbones
+3

Canadians do not wish to be American...why do Americans wish we did? I have run into this before with an American...he was one angry individual because Canadians didn't want to be Americans. They were the best. They were the strongest... well that's nice. So why not just enjoy it then. Why the need to keep pressing it?

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Just because some transplanted pseudo-Texan flaps his gums, that don't make him representative.

I like Canada and Canadians just fine the way they are. ESPECIALLY Canadians. Close enough to be easily understood, different enough to bring new perspectives and new ideas to the problems that plague us all.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Just because some transplanted pseudo-Texan flaps his gums, that don't make him representative.

I like Canada and Canadians just fine the way they are. ESPECIALLY Canadians. Close enough to be easily understood, different enough to bring new perspectives and new ideas to the problems that plague us all.

pseudo-Texan - that's sorta harsh..

Don't get me wrong, I like Canada just the way it is.. I maintain a residence in Alberta, Canada and one in the USA.. don't want to loose my free health care..

Say Tecumsehsbones ya ol'hag.. I'm in good company - George W. Bush is a pseudo-Texan; he was born in Connecticut. In Texas, we call those people "tourists."

BornRuff

There are lots of Canadians who aren't leftists. But even if all Canadians were leftists that would be fine as long as Canada and America remain at arm's length politically. The problem is when a North American Union is discussed. Any such union would tip the balance in the Home of the Brave in favor of leftists on a permanent basis.

Why would Canada and America become a single polity? Because we love each other and feel so much affinity?

No. Such a union would be pursued in order to advance the interests of Statists and Big Business. I can't even believe Canadians are not denouncing the mere suggestion of a union because the sole element uniting Canadians is the fact they aren't Americans.

Why do you believe the bolded part? As you pointed out, there are lots of right wingers in Canada. Combine that with the fact that Canada would only add ~10% to the population of the US, I can't see it having all that much of an impact on the US.

That is really exactly why nobody in Canada would ever really want to merge with the US. We would just be swallowed up and have no real power in that union. Who would want that?

Kreskin
+1
Boehner would be the Governor General. Obama would be the Minister of Silly Walks.

B00Mer
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Boehner would be the Governor General. Obama would be the Minister of Silly Walks.

Justin Trudeau the President...

That's it I'm moving to Australia.

petros
+1
Quote:

It must be old. SK and MB redden it right up to modernization.

gopher
+1
The map of the USA above missed a few Blue states: Florida, Colorado, New Mexico, Iowa, Virginia, Ohio went for the good guy whereas the others went with Romney. The result - a victory for America.

BaalsTears
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

Why do you believe the bolded part?...

Overall, Canadians are more like Europeans than Americans in their attitude toward Big Govt. They are very comfortable with it. Virtually all Canadian politics is played out the field established by the left. Canada reminds me of Blue America. Ontario is similar in many ways to Minnesota. British Columbia is reminiscent of California. The Maritimes are like New England. Canadian provinces would change the electoral count among American states. Since there is no region in Canada similar to the American South and Border states or the rural Midwest electoral votes would effectively be taken from conservative states on a net basis. Those redistributed electoral votes would end up Blue.

Despite the diversity and divisions in Canadian society it is less tribal than America, and doesn't have the same level of mutual hostility among groups. If Canada joined the United States in a political union Canadians would be infected with the American disease of political hatred. Conservative/Libertarian Americans don't need anyone else joining the enemy camp.

B00Mer

Overall, Canadians are more like Europeans than Americans in their attitude toward Big Govt. They are very comfortable with it. Virtually all Canadian politics is played out the field established by the left. Canada reminds me of Blue America. Ontario is similar in many ways to Minnesota. British Columbia is reminiscent of California. The Maritimes are like New England. Canadian provinces would change the electoral count among American states. Since there is no region in Canada similar to the American South and Border states or the rural Midwest electoral votes would effectively be taken from conservative states on a net basis. Those redistributed electoral votes would end up Blue.

Despite the diversity and divisions in Canadian society it is less tribal than America, and doesn't have the same level of mutual hostility among groups. If Canada joined the United States in a political union Canadians would be infected with the American disease of political hatred. Conservative/Libertarian Americans don't need anyone else joining the enemy camp.

So Quebec?? is like?? What Louisiana?

QuebecCanadian
We just fought our butts off to remain Canadian. I'd like to stay that way thanks! I don't even want to entertain the idea of merging with the States.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by QuebecCanadianView Post

We just fought our butts off to remain Canadian. I'd like to stay that way thanks! I don't even want to entertain the idea of merging with the States.

What, not even throw a barbecue for the idea? Maybe sing it some patriotic songs?

QuebecCanadian

What, not even throw a barbecue for the idea? Maybe sing it some patriotic songs?

Hmmmm, not sure if there are any Canada/US patriotic songs. I'll have to give that some thought.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by QuebecCanadianView Post

Hmmmm, not sure if there are any Canada/US patriotic songs. I'll have to give that some thought.

Ah, c'mon. Haven't you ever wanted to be fat, ignorant, armed, and convinced you're Gawd's sidekick?

Hey, maybe that'd be the campaign slogan. . . JOIN WITH THE STATES. WE GOT ATTITUDE.

QuebecCanadian

Ah, c'mon. Haven't you ever wanted to be fat, ignorant, armed, and convinced you're Gawd's sidekick?

Hey, maybe that'd be the campaign slogan. . . JOIN WITH THE STATES. WE GOT ATTITUDE.

Rob Ford is American?? (I assume he's armed)