Dog Lovers Beware! Strange Cross Breeds

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
There were some breeds I'd never heard of. Some were quite beautiful.

I have a Wee-chon. West highland terrier x bichon frise. And a schnauzer x brussels griffon. Don't know wuat tue "designer" name for her would be.

Love mixes. You never know what you're going to get or how they'll look once grown.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
There were some breeds I'd never heard of. Some were quite beautiful.

I have a Wee-chon. West highland terrier x bichon frise. And a schnauzer x brussels griffon. Don't know wuat tue "designer" name for her would be.

Love mixes. You never know what you're going to get or how they'll look once grown.

Course you do. We all love our dogs.

I loved my Lab cause he retrieved ducks and flushed grouse. As did my English Springer Spaniel.
I loved my Beagles cause they chased rabbits/hare/flushed grouse, and a couple of them retrieved.

But::::::::::::most dogs were bred for a purpose. i.e. things they could do. and do well.

Breeding dogs just to look pretty or for different colours, or fancy fur, or lack thereof is not responsible breeding.

Breeders doing this are only out for the money.

If that's your thing, whatever. Don't have a dog in the fight. as they say.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
but the majority of people want pretty dogs... working dogs and the need for them is not current...therefore is it right to keep breeding dogs to retrieve that never will see a hunt, or to round sheep when they will never live on a ranch?

maybe just breed them for what they will settle into best, looking cute and living with people who spoil them

just asking

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Course you do. We all love our dogs.

I loved my Lab cause he retrieved ducks and flushed grouse. As did my English Springer Spaniel.
I loved my Beagles cause they chased rabbits/hare/flushed grouse, and a couple of them retrieved.

But::::::::::::most dogs were bred for a purpose. i.e. things they could do. and do well.

Breeding dogs just to look pretty or for different colours, or fancy fur, or lack thereof is not responsible breeding.

Breeders doing this are only out for the money.

If that's your thing, whatever. Don't have a dog in the fight. as they say.

Don`t get me started on breeding for looks. There is something extraordinarily wrong with people who take a beautiful healthy working breed and change it for appearance sake alone. German Shepards, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Pugs, English bull dogs, All toy breeds. Those poor animals live a life of pain and torment so that someone who doesn`t understand the workings of the breed can enjoy looking at them.

There is nothing esthetically pleasing about a German Sheppard that can`t walk, can`t run, can sheppard. There is nothing esthetically pleasing about a dog that can`t breath because his pallet is too long and his snout is too short.

My dogs weren`t bred for looks. They`re mixes cause I wanted a healthy as possible dog. I know the responsibility of keeping these dogs in top physical form. I`m a hiker. They hike with me. They run with me. They are walked twice a day. Every morning before work and every evening as soon as I am home.

gotta be a brauzer!

cuz schnauffon just aint right

I hate to admit this, but knowing my dog as I do, Schnauffon might just be the most aprepo word for her. Although Brauzer is also good. She`s built like a little hairy staffy. lol

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
but the majority of people want pretty dogs... working dogs and the need for them is not current...therefore is it right to keep breeding dogs to retrieve that never will see a hunt, or to round sheep when they will never live on a ranch?

maybe just breed them for what they will settle into best, looking cute and living with people who spoil them

just asking

There are breeds that are not high energy breeds. You should always pick the breed of dog thats disposition and typical energy levels match your own. You don`t take a jack russel and stick it in an apartment all day. Likewise you don`t take a toy yorkie and make it run with you.

The looks of a dog are unimportant. It`s the inside of a dog that is important.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
There are breeds that are not high energy breeds. You should always pick the breed of dog thats disposition and typical energy levels match your own. You don`t take a jack russel and stick it in an apartment all day. Likewise you don`t take a toy yorkie and make it run with you.

The looks of a dog are unimportant. It`s the inside of a dog that is important.
actually I just go with the nature of whatever I rescue which always comes to me.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
have to be very careful crossing different breeds, and trying to establish that crossbreed as a new
breed.
inherited deseases must be paid attention to, as all purebreds have their certain deseases they are
suseptible to, so cross breeding two that have the same vulnerabilities in that area, only doubles
the chances of that breed getting that desease.

also temperament must be studied carefully, and also bone structure, jaw structure, eyes, ears, and
other body parts that could be damaged by crossbreeding.

look what people have done with the bulldog from years of breeding for a certain look, now they
have breathing problems, can't stand the heat etc.

it is a very fragile area to get into, and people shouldn't be going after 'fad' breedings, the
health and welfare of the animal must come first.

some are trying to sell a silver lab and claim it is a real lab colour, not so, the lab only comes in
yellow,black and chocolate, and if breeders want to register a silver lab, they call them chocolate
on the reg. forms, as the ckc,akc do not recognize a silver lab.
many years ago a kennel that raised weimaraners and labs, obviously were crossed, and the silver lab showed
up in future breedings, then of course people bred them to each other. the silver labs carry a gene
that the three real colors do not carry, but the weimaraner does, so that is the story of the silver lab.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
actually I just go with the nature of whatever I rescue which always comes to me.

I like this approach. It's the approach I use (along with requesting mixed breeds) cause then you have the joy of learning about each other together. As long as you're willing to do what it takes to make the animal healthy and happy. I think you would be. You come across as very caring.

With my little schnauzer mix, I was all ready to walk her at 5:00 am rain or shine for an hour everyday if that's what it took. Turns out she had no desire to be out walking at that time of the morning. She's prefers a 6:30 walk and hates the rain.

have to be very careful crossing different breeds, and trying to establish that crossbreed as a new
breed.
inherited deseases must be paid attention to, as all purebreds have their certain deseases they are
suseptible to, so cross breeding two that have the same vulnerabilities in that area, only doubles
the chances of that breed getting that desease.

also temperament must be studied carefully, and also bone structure, jaw structure, eyes, ears, and
other body parts that could be damaged by crossbreeding.

look what people have done with the bulldog from years of breeding for a certain look, now they
have breathing problems, can't stand the heat etc.

it is a very fragile area to get into, and people shouldn't be going after 'fad' breedings, the
health and welfare of the animal must come first.

some are trying to sell a silver lab and claim it is a real lab colour, not so, the lab only comes in
yellow,black and chocolate, and if breeders want to register a silver lab, they call them chocolate
on the reg. forms, as the ckc,akc do not recognize a silver lab.
many years ago a kennel that raised weimaraners and labs, obviously were crossed, and the silver lab showed
up in future breedings, then of course people bred them to each other. the silver labs carry a gene
that the three real colors do not carry, but the weimaraner does, so that is the story of the silver lab.

I remember when Dobermans were very popular and people were claiming to have King Doberman purebreds. I learned they were actually great dane x Dobermans.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I like this approach. It's the approach I use (along with requesting mixed breeds) cause then you have the joy of learning about each other together. As long as you're willing to do what it takes to make the animal healthy and happy. I think you would be. You come across as very caring.
They each have their cool unique personalities that's for sure. My current cat is more like a dog than any other I've had. She demands constant play, carries her toys around and needs to be picked up a lot. She begs and talks incessantly. It's no problem to do for them what they need. If it is, then we need to find someone who has either more experience or patience for the animal;s needs.

We had a dog move in a few months ago. Saddest looking creature I've ever seen. Had agoraphobia, was depressed and scared of everything. This couple has really worked with Farley taking him just outside the door at first until he knew he got to come back home when he needed, and then trying again and again a little further as much as he could manage until he can go for blocks now. I was out walking yesterday and he could hardly wait to get petted by me. First time I touched him he just looked up with a sad don't hit me look. On the other hand when I saw him today I had boxes and he hid behind his owner and hung his head. I wouldn't have that kind of time right now for a really scared pooch but they are so good with him.

If it gets sent my way I think it's my job to care for it...some people should never ever be allowed near an animal. And people on FB letting their cats breed sends me crazy. but there are a lot of good caring people out there for sure

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
One word: mutts. Smartest, healthiest. Breeds just appeal to the ego.

mutts are ok, they are not bred to repeat each other over and over till it becomes a new fad breed.

they aren't necessarily smarter, because there are many purebreds that are amazingly smart and
and trained for very important jobs in life, but they do reduce the vulnerable deseases that
purebreds do carry, unless of course the two mutts that are bred do happen to carry the same
inheritant desease.

dogs are dogs, but letting any dog breed without any control at all, is what fills the spca buildings
and other rescue centers, and that is sad.
humans don't seem to think about the important aspects of animal breeding, but just seem to think
about themselves, and what they want, and the looks of a dog, without thinking about the actual dog.

dogs aren't stuffed animals sold to please the 'ahhh isn't that cute' part of the human, but unfortunately
that is what many many people do, and don't see deeper into the life of animals at all.

the puppy mills are criminal, they breed to make money, and their kennels have no safety aspects, and often
the animals live in filthy kennels, real breeders do not make money, but the money they receive from
selling their litters, pay expenses for a very long list of responsibilities that the breeders have.
medicAl clearances, registration cost, costs of travelling to and from dog shows, the costs of feeding
And housing their animals in clean well cared for living areas.
real breeders do not breed a lot of dogs, maybe 2 or 3 litters per year, and most of those are sold before
they Are born.

preparing a breeding takes time, pedigrees are cArefully matched, and definitely no crossing of possible
deseases, as carefully as possible, also temperament of both future parents, so that all puppies will be
well mannered and happy, and will make a good pet for families, as well as always striving to improve the
breed, and the possibility of keeping a puppy for the show ring, and future breeding.

i know because i bred, raised and showed shelties, then later labradors for years.

the only time i made a profit on puppies was the 'last' litter we bred, as i didn't have to
prepare for more.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ligers are cute!

They may be a fairly distant relative of the dog! -:)

mutts are ok, they are not bred to repeat each other over and over till it becomes a new fad breed.

they aren't necessarily smarter, because there are many purebreds that are amazingly smart and
and trained for very important jobs in life, but they do reduce the vulnerable deseases that
purebreds do carry, unless of course the two mutts that are bred do happen to carry the same
inheritant desease.

Good post- We've owned a Schnoodle for the past three years, very smart and affectionate dog, she's 3/4 schnauzer and 1/4 poodle. She just loves the grand daughters as much as they love her and she's a very friendly dog once she's got to know you for 5 minutes. Definitely an ideal family dog. The breed does apparently have an inherent intestinal weakness prone to constipation which is easily managed by feeding her a spoonful of pumpkin every day. She's better behaved than my kids and grandkids. -:)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
They may be a fairly distant relative of the dog! -:)

Good post- We've owned a Schnoodle for the past three years, very smart and affectionate dog, she's 3/4 schnauzer and 1/4 poodle. She just loves the grand daughters as much as they love her and she's a very friendly dog once she's got to know you for 5 minutes. Definitely an ideal family dog. The breed does apparently have an inherent intestinal weakness prone to constipation which is easily managed by feeding her a spoonful of pumpkin every day. She's better behaved than my kids and grandkids. -:)

yes pumpkin is the right food for that problem.

my chocolate labradors, 9 months, and 1 3/4 yrs old are very affectionate too, so affectionate they can
knock anyone's child over with their kisses, but fortunately all of my grandchildren are big now, and
no greatgrandchildren in the world yet, so no little kids around here, but the cats have their paws
full from the chase and the hugs, as the young lab loves them, but doesn't know at the moment not
to play quite so energetically. but it is all fun, i love it.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I would like to see a golden retriever with the colour scheme of a saint Bernard. :) :cool: