Study proves that talking on your cell in public DOES make you an a s s hole

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

We know that overhearing someone’s cell phone conversation is annoying. But does the act of talking on the phone actually make you more of a jerk? In this study, the authors tested whether people talking on their phone would be less likely to help someone in need — in this case, a ‘confederate’ wearing a leg brace who drops a stack of magazines. As you might have guessed, the people on the phone were much less likely to offer any help (9% vs. 72% for people not on the phone). Is this no big deal? A sign of the death of civilized society? Discuss!

Study proves that talking on your cell phone makes you act like an a**hole. - Seriously, Science? | DiscoverMagazine.comthe

one of the highest levels of public douchebaggery

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
So are you only an a s s h o l e while on your cellphone or are you an a s s h o l e if you have ever used your cellphone in public? Does this include apps on your phone or just talking? I think more study is needed.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So are you only an a s s h o l e while on your cellphone or are you an a s s h o l e if you have ever used your cellphone in public? Does this include apps on your phone or just talking? I think more study is needed.
not really

they need to stop spending money on stupid s hit .....

a fake setup of someone needing help while I use my cell phone to take a call from work/my sick aunt/ the hosptial/ or any other thing I wish to do with MY time makes me an a sshole?

lmao...I think not

just because some a sshole dropped something and needs help which 20 other people dive in to give him...but I'm the a sshole not the azzhat who concludes that it's me with the problem....guess how much I care?

yeah...not a whit of care in the world...

now..... back to talking on my phone while those around me have blood pressure issues because of s hit that should not concern them.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Once in a blue moon there is an occasion to use it in public (like a change of plans if you are meeting someone) but you take the f**kin' thing off to one side and speak quietly. The whole wide world doesn't have to know beans are 2 cents cheaper at Safeway!

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I wouldn't call them a**holes because there are times that the call is important and not just a chat. However as far as I am concerned 'savoir vivre' and respect have gone out the window, not for everybody but a good number.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I wouldn't call them a**holes because there are times that the call is important and not just a chat. However as far as I am concerned 'savoir vivre' and respect have gone out the window, not for everybody but a good number.

There's rare occasions when there's an emergency but 95% of it is a sickness!

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Doesnt bother me at all. Id rather they be talking on their phone than to me in most cases.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Lol funny results, but if they were also tracking results for workers walking and talking to other workers, you might conclude that human interaction with another person makes you inattentive with others.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I think you're more of an a$$hole if you do a dumb study and use a sensational title to attention ***** yourself. then claim that your dumb study actually 'proves' something. I would expect nothing less, or I guess I should say more, from Discovery et al in the TV scape these days.