Does the drinking age for men need changing?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via Fark

Canada considers raising legal drinking age - for guys

Three very distinct news streams collided to get me thinking about young men and alcohol consumption. One is the geopolitical drama that is playing out in Russia and Ukraine, both which rank in the top five worldwide for consumption of alcohol, according to the World Health Organization. The second, much closer to home, is a study from the University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC) on drinking ages in Canada. The third is the spate of “rape culture” and other alcohol-related incidents at University campuses across our country.

Full disclosure: I grew up in New York City when the drinking age was 18. Of course people were also being drafted at that age into the U.S. military and sent to Vietnam, so there was a certain logic in treating 18 as the official entry into adulthood.

more

Does the drinking age for men need changing?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
No, just stop having a 1920s attitude towards alcohol. It didn't work then and doesn't now. Europe doesn't seem to have these problems. They evolved, we did not - or not enough anyway. Raise the drinking age and you will have more binge drinking and problems associated with it. Personally I found drinking lost a lot (but not all!) of its appeal when I reached the legal drinking age. The forbidden fruit thing seems to be true. Tell someone they cant or shouldn't do something and they will want to,particularly in their late teens or early adulthood. I did binge drink when I was 17-19 but not enough to have any significant problems. My father was an alcoholic which has made me a bit more wary of alcohol than most of my friends. Even now I dont drink often. Maybe once every few months.

If you are old enough to vote, serve in the military, pay taxes and be considered criminally responsible should you break a law you're old enough to have a drink. Or should be. Putting it off doesn't seem to do any good to anyone except in the minds of the paranoid teetotallers.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Women drink more than men in Britain.

As a result the legal drinking age for women should be raised from 18 to 25 to cut down the spate of our cities centre on Saturday nights being filled with young women lying legless on the pavements or walking down the street with their knickers literally around their ankles and behaving in a not-very-ladylike manner before vomiting profusely in the gutter.

It's obvious that women can't handle their alcohol, so appropriate measures should be taken to abolish the ladette culture.

And such measures will cut the rise in violent assaults perpetrated by young women in today's Britain.

Binge-drinking and 'ladette culture' are to blame for shocking rise in violent assaults by women say police

Cardiff

Cardiff

Cardiff

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
They do party hearty 'cross the pond.

One theory has it that it's the reason Brit ladies have evolved big boobs. They do a drunken faceplant and they are sort of cushioned.............HEY !!! I ****ING read it in the Enquirer. can't be wrong !!

But, getting back to the OP. 18 is a good age to start legally boozing. Think of the money the corps. will lose if the raise it back to 21. Don't want Wisers or the like to go t its up.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I got into the bars back when I was sixteen and did a lot of drinking but never behaved
like the pictures above. The fact is you can drag out all the pic's you want I would be
willing to bet most young people don't behave to this extent. Does that mean because
a few people behave badly all young people should be denied and made out to be
illegals cause some can't behave.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Women drink more than men in Britain.

As a result the legal drinking age for women should be raised from 18 to 25 to cut down the spate of our cities centre on Saturday nights being filled with young women lying legless on the pavements or walking down the street with their knickers literally around their ankles and behaving in a not-very-ladylike manner before vomiting profusely in the gutter.

It's obvious that women can't handle their alcohol, so appropriate measures should be taken to abolish the ladette culture.

And such measures will cut the rise in violent assaults perpetrated by young women in today's Britain.

Binge-drinking and 'ladette culture' are to blame for shocking rise in violent assaults by women say police

They are stuck with the useless excuse for men that britain produces. They need to drink to even look, let alone get laid.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
What's worse? The woman passed out on the ground, or the HUGE pile of garbage that for some reason has yet to be picked up?;)