Is it racist?

BornRuff
Video in the link. What say you?

Colbert Tweet Triggers Firestorm, #CancelColbert Twitter Trend | Mediaite (external - login to view)

Locutus
+1
He ain't the first libtard to pull the ching-chong thing and won't be the last. Plenty of forgiveness in hollyweird man.

Rosie Ching Chong O39Donnell - YouTube

EagleSmack
Liberals in the US are quite successful of being their racist selves and get away with it fairly regularly.

spaminator
alexandra wallace - YouTube (external - login to view)

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Liberals in the US are quite successful of being their racist selves and get away with it fairly regularly.

Tell me about it. Many American lefties, particularly in the east, often assume Indians are deeply spiritually connected with the land, or the spirits, or whatever. If anything, it's more irritating than the "lazy, drunken Injun" stereotype pushed by many on the right.

From experience, I can tell you there's probably more Indians in the U.S. deeply connected with distilled spirits than the Great Spirit.

BornRuff
Lol, so the anti-PC group here are more than happy to cast shame on people who have different political views than themselves?

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Tell me about it. Many American lefties, particularly in the east, often assume Indians are deeply spiritually connected with the land, or the spirits, or whatever.

And I bet they get furious when you try and correct them.

Do they call you an Uncle Tom?

Quote:

If anything, it's more irritating than the "lazy, drunken Injun" stereotype pushed by many on the right.

From experience, I can tell you there's probably more Indians in the U.S. deeply connected with distilled spirits than the Great Spirit.

Welcome to the Right!

Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

Lol, so the anti-PC group here are more than happy to cast shame on people who have different political views than themselves?

Absolutely!

As well as point out how hypocritical they are.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Ay-yup. And worse. When I'm in a bad mood and somebody asks me my "Indian name," I usually say a string of nonsense syllables. When they ask what it means, I say "Blow Me."

I do have an "Indian" name, and I use it regularly. I just don't like stereotypes. No, I take that back. I just don't like people who insist on imposing their stereotypes on me, positive or negative.

EagleSmack

Ay-yup. And worse. When I'm in a bad mood and somebody asks me my "Indian name," I usually say a string of nonsense syllables. When they ask what it means, I say "Blow Me."

I do have an "Indian" name, and I use it regularly. I just don't like stereotypes. No, I take that back. I just don't like people who insist on imposing their stereotypes on me, positive or negative.

That made me crack up.

Yeah the white man doesn't like when Native Americans "break character".

BornRuff
+2

Absolutely!

It's not like Colbert has ever been one to get up in arms about any issue, so I don't know how you could call him a hypocrite.

Could you not argue that the people who in one thread want to pass a law banning "political correctness" and in another go after people for not being PC enough are a bit hypocritical?

EagleSmack

It's not like Colbert has ever been one to get up in arms about any issue, so I don't know how you could call him a hypocrite.

I'm not calling him one. I really do not know what he represents. IF it was Jon Stewart... oh you bet I would.

Quote:

Could you not argue that the people who in one thread want to pass a law banning "political correctness" and in another go after people for not being PC enough are a bit hypocritical?

Ban political correctness. Why would I even comment on that? It is silliness.

BaalsTears

Video in the link. What say you?

Colbert Tweet Triggers Firestorm, #CancelColbert Twitter Trend | Mediaite (external - login to view)

That's straight up racist.

Locutus
+4
#13  Top Rated Post
And I don't like that he's pointing right at me either. It's a very aggressive posture. I feel bullied, threatened.

EagleSmack
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

Yes it does look to be the case.

Why does anyone tweet? All you hear of is stuff like this.

Locutus
If there's nothing wrong with it why was the tweet removed I wonder. Hmmm. That's a tricky one eh.

DaSleeper

Welcome to the Right!

Absolutely!

The proper term in an Injun's case is "Apple"

BornRuff
+1

Ban political correctness. Why would I even comment on that? It is silliness.

I don't keep records of everyone's comments on everything, but a lot of members were involved in that thread.

shadowshiv
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

And I don't like that he's pointing right at me either. It's a very aggressive posture. I feel bullied, threatened.

Perhaps that is due to the fact you are carrying your My Little Pony lunchpail to work with you?

SLM
+1

Which, oddly enough, is also a stereotype.

Is the inference then that only one who is anti-PC would have something to be ashamed of? Because experience has taught me that even the most perfectly coined statement can also be a load of condescending bull.

It'll all be okay, just go to your happy place.

Locutus
Oh, and now of course...

Stephen ColbertVerified account ‏@StephenAtHome (external - login to view)

#CancelColbert (external - login to view) - I agree! Just saw @ColbertReport (external - login to view) tweet. I share your rage. Who is that, though? I'm @StephenAtHome (external - login to view)

thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/b6cwb3/sport-report---professional-soccer-toddler--golf-innovations---washington-redskins-charm-offensive (external - login to view)

Cancel Colbert Tweet Controversy -- Press Runs To Stephen Colbert's Aid (external - login to view)

Nuggler
+1
So Colbert gets lots of publicity............cries all the way to the bank.

If there's nothing wrong with it why was the tweet removed I wonder. Hmmm. That's a tricky one eh.

Someone in power made a value judgement, as they are wont to do.............shabam!!! gone.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Which, oddly enough, is also a stereotype.

No, a stereotype is attributing to all members of a group a characteristic that is present only in some members of the group, esp. a negative or undesirable characteristic.

Stating that from my personal experience with lots of Indians more of them have alcohol problems than have deeply religious feelings about Moneto (in whatever name) is a personal observation based on fact.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
I like Colbert. Enough with the fake outrage already!

Dixie Cup
Can't say that I'm too interested in what everyone is saying about it. It's plain ridiculous and PC run amok - again.

JMO

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

I like Colbert. Enough with the fake outrage already!

Roger that. Being hypersensitive to every little nuance uses up political capital and goodwill that should be saved for genuine, harmful, deliberately racist statements (like Paul Ryan's).

SLM

No, a stereotype is attributing to all members of a group a characteristic that is present only in some members of the group, esp. a negative or undesirable characteristic.

Stating that from my personal experience with lots of Indians more of them have alcohol problems than have deeply religious feelings about Moneto (in whatever name) is a personal observation based on fact.

I didn't say what YOU were saying was a stereotype, I was saying that it is also a common stereotype, lol.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

It is satire. Laid on fairly thick as well. Colbert at his best.

As for Rosie, not a fan of her or The View but I think it was intended as a joke. It would have been ideal if she could speak the language but since she didn't. It's no worse than somebody piecing together broken French or Italian or Russian to make a similar joke.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I didn't say what YOU were saying was a stereotype, I was saying that it is also a common stereotype, lol.

Oh, the "drunk Injun?" Yeah, run into that one every now and then. Like every time I take a drink, which ain't too bad, since I do it maybe 4-5 times a year.

But you're certainly correct. Sorry 'bout the misunderstanding.

You keep me honest. As a lawyer, I really HATE that!

Tonington
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

It is satire. Laid on fairly thick as well. Colbert at his best.

Of course it is; anyone who can't see that needs to change their outrage panties. The lead was using the Washington Redskins story and the new charity, it couldn't be any more obvious without putting a disclaimer on the screen.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Of course it is; anyone who can't see that needs to change their outrage panties. The lead was using the Washington Redskins story and the new charity, it couldn't be any more obvious without putting a disclaimer on the screen.

Who laughs last thinks slowest.