Founder Of Wikipedia Makes A Stand Against “Holistic Approaches To Healing”

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
People signed up at Petition.org requesting Jimmy Wales, Founder of Wikipedia:

Jimmy Wales, Founder of Wikipedia: Create and enforce new policies that allow for true scientific discourse about holistic approaches to healing.

Jimmy Wales responds:
Jimmy Wales

No, you have to be kidding me. Every single person who signed this petition needs to go back to check their premises and think harder about what it means to be honest, factual, truthful.

Wikipedia's policies around this kind of thing are exactly spot-on and correct. If you can get your work published in respectable scientific journals - that is to say, if you can produce evidence through replicable scientific experiments, then Wikipedia will cover it appropriately.

What we won't do is pretend that the work of lunatic charlatans is the equivalent of "true scientific discourse". It isn't.

I myself am a fan of science. I'm not a fan of things that are not quantifiable, non reproducable and I don't believe in 'luck'

Story here: https://www.change.org/petitions/ji...olistic-approaches-to-healing/responses/11054

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
He's right about the need for scientific validation of most natural remedies.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Wickedpedia, ya yer house of scientific validation .The utility of holistic medicine has been verified by thousands of years of trial/experiment. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Does that need an more validation? How about hundreds of oils and hundreds of roots and hundred of veggies. Where was scientific validation since the beginning of mankind? Science is having enough trouble validating itself these days. Holistic practices are validated by the simple fact we're all here today discussing it.

Is there a problem with honey?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Wickedpedia, ya yer house of scientific validation .The utility of holistic medicine has been verified by thousands of years of trial/experiment. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Does that need an more validation? How about hundreds of oils and hundreds of roots and hundred of veggies. Where was scientific validation since the beginning of mankind? Science is having enough trouble validating itself these days. Holistic practices are validated by the simple fact we're all here today discussing it.

Is there a problem with honey?

Well, no, it doesn't. Apples do have some doctor repelling properties if you can throw them hard enough, but if you only get one per 24 hour period it doesn't give you much opportunity to maintain a defense. You better kill him on the first shot.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
They say most natural remedies need scientific validation because they think their grannies was stupid old people. This whole topic is a giant insult to our illustrious ancestors. Well my illustrious ancestors at least.
Fresh mountain drawn spring water should be tested, even if you get very thirsty waiting for lab results. Children should be kept inside because of the unverified plants like dandy lions. We don't know much about the thousands of injuries each year caused by playing with flowers and eating nuts and berries.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Thankyou spade, that was very very good, I'll watch it again when it gets darker. The good old days eh you can't get medical attention like that anymore, not in my hood anyway, at least I don't think so.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
They say most natural remedies need scientific validation because they think their grannies was stupid old people. This whole topic is a giant insult to our illustrious ancestors. Well my illustrious ancestors at least.
Fresh mountain drawn spring water should be tested, even if you get very thirsty waiting for lab results. Children should be kept inside because of the unverified plants like dandy lions. We don't know much about the thousands of injuries each year caused by playing with flowers and eating nuts and berries.

You seem to have a very warped idea of what is being discussed here. Nobody is arguing against water. Just because water is a natural substance doesn't mean that there is not a huge body of research on the benefits of water and exactly how it effects our body.

The argument is purely about things that can't be backed up with any sort of scientific evidence.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A vast chunk of Rx medication clome from the natural world and are synthetically duplicated under patent.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
If Grannies cures actually worked then scientifically they'd be proven to work.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I get all my holistic and scientific advice from Kevin Trudeau.

Mak54291

Dec 23, 2011
Montreal
If I understand well what holistic mean from google, than I say that it's probably what I would do or tell to do.

But come on, in this world... I doubt it's the way of the super lucky risk taker that build so much great things like the metro of Montreal.