Mental Health Hospitalizations Increasing in Children

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Nearly 10 percent of children are hospitalized for a mental health diagnosis, but minority children are frequently overlooked.

More than 4 million American children and adolescents have a mental illness, and a study from the University of California, San Francisco shows mental health hospitalizations among this demographic increased by 24 percent between 2007 and 2010.

The latest findings suggest nearly 1 in 10 children are hospitalized because of a mental health problem.

"The most important finding is the fact that mental health hospitalizations are so common for kids," Dr. Naomi Bardach, a professor of pediatrics at the UCSF School of Medicine and the study’s lead author, tells U.S. News & World Report.

more

Study: Mental Health Hospitalizations Increasing in Children - US News

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
Defining mental illness maybe be at the root of this increase. Poor kids are probably victims of a profit driven system.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Defining mental illness maybe be at the root of this increase. Poor kids are probably victims of a profit driven system.

Minorities are underrepresented in these analyses. Do you mean they are victims in that they aren't getting the care that those on the upper socioeconomic distribution enjoy? That's definitely not a new finding.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
We were just discussing this on the weekend. A friend who works in a hospital was saying their mental health ward is now always full and is mostly occupied by young people 11 to late 20's.

For those here who think this is a load of c rap you trying dealing with some kid who is suicidal at 12... and for the nay sayers, no kids don't try to slash their wrists just for attention.

Also even when your kid is suicidal you may be turned away at triage because there are others worse off.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Minorities are underrepresented in these analyses. Do you mean they are victims in that they aren't getting the care that those on the upper socioeconomic distribution enjoy? That's definitely not a new finding.
No, of course not. We all know that minorities are favoured in the U.S. and Canada, and only poor, suffering white men are underemployed, undertreated, or otherwise denied the benefits of society.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
My cats been having trouble sleeping at night.
A bit of time in the dryer under the 'fluffy' setting would probably cure that. Disclaimer, that is not a real treatment not is putting him in a bag and exhaling into it unless you have Alice Cooper and 'alley cat fight' playing over and over and over.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
With the amount of processed food, lack of exercise ( to sweat out the toxin from the processed food) lack of sleep, over stimulation from electronics, it's no wonder. When you factor in microwaving in plastic dishes, not washing pesticides of fruit and veg, the amount of chemicals used in the home, I'm sometimes surprised we live past the age of 20.

Regarding cats: I have never met a sane cat and I've had them all my life and was a volunteer at a cat shelter for 10+ years. A sane cat is a myth.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's not surprising - what would you expect with the increase in the number of nutty parents?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Definitely not new, just trotted out every so often to make things look fair.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
But the question is why is this happening and how can it be stopped?

I personally believe there is a parallel between physical and mental health. Get 'em off the couch and on the soccer field or the arena or just doing some chores.