The Landscape-Scarring, Energy-Sucking, Wildlife-Killing Reality of Pot Farming

Locutus
Starting about 90 miles northwest of Sacramento, an unbroken swath of national forestland follows the spine of California's rugged coastal mountains all the way to the Oregon border. Near the center of this vast wilderness, along the grassy banks of the Trinity River's south fork, lies the remote enclave of Hyampom (pop. 241), where, on a crisp November morning, I climb into a four-wheel-drive government pickup and bounce up a dirt logging road deep into the Six Rivers National Forest. I've come to visit what's known in cannabis country as a "trespass grow."

more

The Landscape-Scarring, Energy-Sucking, Wildlife-Killing Reality of Pot Farming | Mother Jones

lone wolf
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
...sounds like the opening lines on a Discovery Channel show --- or Cops

WLDB
Guns aside it sounds like farming in general.

lone wolf
It's the trespassing on Forest Service land....

Locutus
mother f'ing jones of all folks.

EagleSmack
I often wonder how the Cartels will respond to the eventual legalization of Marijuana.

I doubt they will go quietly into the night.

lone wolf
They'll shake down legal merchants for a while. Gives DEA-types something to do

EagleSmack
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

They'll shake down legal merchants for a while. Gives DEA-types something to do

Right.

Until they have a Weed-Mart the mom and pop distributors will have to pay some protection money.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

I often wonder how the Cartels will respond to the eventual legalization of Marijuana.

Shift to heroin, coke, and meth, I imagine. That's what the alcohol cartels did when Prohibition was repealed.

WLDB

Go into other drugs, human trafficking, or keep a supply of marijuana going to places where it is still illegal. Organized crime didnt disappear when prohibition ended, they just got into a different racket. There will probably always be something for them to do.

Tecumsehsbones
Snap!

EagleSmack
They aren't already dealing in the coke, heroine, meth field?

WLDB

They aren't already dealing in the coke, heroine, meth field?

Probably are. If there are any that arent they will probably have to go into that or maybe even do something legal.

Twila
They'll provide tax free pot....for those opposed to paying taxes. They may also provide wheel chair weed when the gov't regulate the levels of HTC allowed in commercial pot. It'll be like moonshine pot...

bill barilko
What a load of bunk 95+% of all US & Canadian marijuana is grown indoors now-they're even doing it in Mexico & Colombia.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2011/0...marijuana.html

http://phys.org/news/2011-06-gm-mari...-colombia.html

Zipperfish
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Starting about 90 miles northwest of Sacramento, an unbroken swath of national forestland follows the spine of California's rugged coastal mountains all the way to the Oregon border. Near the center of this vast wilderness, along the grassy banks of the Trinity River's south fork, lies the remote enclave of Hyampom (pop. 241), where, on a crisp November morning, I climb into a four-wheel-drive government pickup and bounce up a dirt logging road deep into the Six Rivers National Forest. I've come to visit what's known in cannabis country as a "trespass grow."

more

The Landscape-Scarring, Energy-Sucking, Wildlife-Killing Reality of Pot Farming | Mother Jones

You are harshing my buzz, man.