Get rid of the Point System

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I know this issue has been discussed before and I will likely earn some "neg rep" for this post, but I feel it necessary to open this suggestion thread.

.... this needs to be sorted.. neg repping because you don't like the response or formulate a well rounded argument is not a reason to neg rep someone ....

This system of neg repping is being used against members who just dislike other members... it has nothing to do with the forum post, it's more about who posted it rather than the content of the post.

Sure, some jerk gives me a neg I'll return the negs 10 fold.. because I try to only give out positive thumbs up...

Can the amount of that can be given out per day be limited?? Forcing people to be more choosey will in turn result in less neg reps for silly reasons.

The difference is that neg rep misuse is malicious and pos rep misuse ia benign.

The neg rep button fuels internet tough guy syndrome and encourages internet hooliganism and is only being used by used by passive aggressive bullies.

i mean, you simply speak up something true and trolls start using thumbs down on you for the love of it

Last edited:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I know this issue has been discussed before and I will likely earn some "neg rep" for this post, but I feel it necessary to open this suggestion thread.

.... this needs to be sorted.. neg repping because you don't like the response or formulate a well rounded argument is not a reason to neg rep someone ....

This system of neg repping is being used against members who just dislike other members... it has nothing to do with the forum post, it's more about who posted it rather than the content of the post.

Sure, some jerk gives me a neg I'll return the negs 10 fold.. because I try to only give out positive thumbs up...

Can the amount of that can be given out per day be limited?? Forcing people to be more choosey will in turn result in less neg reps for silly reasons.

The difference is that neg rep misuse is malicious and pos rep misuse ia benign.

The neg rep button fuels internet tough guy syndrome and encourages internet hooliganism and is only being used by used by passive aggressive bullies.

i mean, you simply speak up something true and trolls start using thumbs down on you for the love of it

Is this a joke?

You literally just gave me 15 "bad" votes in the last half hour.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Is this a joke?

You literally just gave me 15 "bad" votes in the last half hour.

Yes, and you seem to be handing out a fair number yourself.. Colpy, Myself seem to attract negs from you..

I guess you now how it feels to be neg'ed for no real good reason.. just because someone dislikes you.

It sucks, it's stupid and yes childish... and should be abolished or removed.

Oh well - we all can play "fast edit"

With you on the forum, it has to be lightening speed edit.. smooth. ;)

How 'bout we just get you a big ol' economy-size jar of butthurt cream instead?

Sorry, I'm not one of your Gay boy friends..

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Yes, and you seem to be handing out a fair number yourself.. Colpy, Myself seem to attract negs from you..

I guess you now how it feels to be neg'ed for no real good reason.. just because someone dislikes you.

With you on the forum, it has to be lightening speed edit.. smooth. ;)

Sorry, I'm not one of your Gay boy friends..

Control yourself, Billy.... You're drooling. Why not resort to being an as*hole and slandering folk over another neg rep.

Grow T/F up, jerk!

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006
What happens if you get a whole bunch of negative votes?
How dire are the consequences?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

Lol, I think you are losing it. I can't think of a single time I have ever voted negative on any of your posts. My account says I have only ever voted on 6 posts in my entire time here, and I can only remember those being positive.

Can you refresh my memory here?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Control yourself, Billy.... You're drooling. Why not resort to being an as*hole and slandering folk over another neg rep.

Grow T/F up, jerk!

Look Lone Wolf, this thread was brought on by a post by Colpy, who got a neg rep for no real good reason.

I don't know if you know much about coding php but there are lots of better alternatives out there for vBulletin.

It seems plenty of folks from several forums feel that negs sorta create a hostile environment on the forum.

It's not about being an As.hole or Jerk... it's about respecting ones views..

The majority of members on this forum are Liberals.. If it wasn't for the Liberal view point we would not have Socialized Health Care in Canada and some of the safety nets for the most needy, handicap, disabled or senior citizens.

I razz Liberals but truly I'm politically in the middle (I think).

Sure I believe in Gun rights (2nd amendment) and the Death Penalty, but I also feel that Socialized Health Care should be provided to every citizen and Gay marriage should be allowed, don't agree with abortion unless the life of the mother is threatened.. abortion is being used to freely as a secondary birth control.

I'm really all over the map when it comes to political views..

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You want an opinion on neg reps...you and a bunch of others won't like mine. But ya asked so here goes.

I don't care about neg reps for real.

What that means is I don't comment about the neg rep every fuking time I get one. Some in here discuss it incessantly. Here's how the talk always unfolds:

You gave me a neg rep.
I don't care about neg reps
I consider neg reps a badge of honour.

And on and on and on. Which is essentially like saying: I want to fuk you over in a post with no consequence. There was a consequence and now I am upset.

Same conversation every time... a discussion about neg reps.

Then I hear about just ignore so and so. I have been told this repeatedly from various well meaning members. And I thank you for your concern however; I don't ignore anyone ever until they have reached their limit with ME. That is MY choice. If I choose to engage someone over an issue I don't need to discuss it on the board with other members. I have reached my limit with several people in here.

That is my business between them and me. They are not stupid individuals we just rub each other the wrong way behaviorally. And we have done it enough that I completely stop responding to them. We have likely had a private conversation about it. I don't expect you to ignore them so don't expect me to ignore the people who p iss on your shoes.

For me the board is fun and entertaining and I learn from the posts and they do make me think and see other view points. I do not want nor need everyone to be like me nor to like me. I do expect people to be civil with me or I get nasty especially if we are in a private discussion. A few of you know that already.

But if you flame with a post either in the title or the OP expect to get burned.

If you don't like that behaviour don't do it to anyone else. Otherwise stfu, man up and take what ever gets dished out.

Same with the troll label. Yes it is irritating but it's not as though each and everyone of us has not done it in one form or another. I know by now what pushes certain people's buttons. Do I press the button sometimes, er, yup. Do I then receive a neg rep from some...eeeerrrr yup. Do I comment? No, unless it is to give a green to that person who redded me. Then I comment.

Otherwise to be honest what I usually think is, yup I pushed the right button. Likely I deserved the rep in that case. In other cases the person cannot be bothered to argue it out with me sometimes because it will be the same convo for the 90th time...a waste of keyboarding for them and me. So yeah they redded me and 99% of the time I know exactly why.

Otherwise frankly folks I ain't fuking ya, feeding ya or living with ya so I wish you all the best whether you red me or green me. Have at it. And I hope even when I p iss ya off, I gave ya something to think about.

You're a good bunch. And when I disappear for periods of time I am either busy as hell or taking a break...from you. Doesn't mean I don't miss your p issy azz and I will return to taunt you shortly.

cheers

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Sal. I just can't see you ever getting a red rep... you're just too nice and even keeled as one could get.. they should make you a mod here.
lol that's nice Boom but I get my share...and like I said it's usually when I pushed the right button or it's a quick way to tell me that my opinion on that topic sucked for them.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
lol that's nice Boom but I get my share...and like I said it's usually when I pushed the right button or it's a quick way to tell me that my opinion on that topic sucked for them.

So what would be wrong with abolishing the point system and having the member reply to your post with the reason he does not like it.. it creates more dialogue.. isn't that what a forum is suppose to be about, not a childish red neg.