US, Canada should merge into one country

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
US Eh?

No two nations in the world are as integrated, economically and socially, as the United States and Canada. We share geography, values and a gigantic border.

Regardless of this close friendship, our two countries are on a slow-motion collision course — with each other and with the rest of the world.

In 1987, the two countries signed the Free Trade Agreement (Mexico joined in 1994) but the US-Canada border has become more clogged than ever, hurting trade and tourism. There are heavy regulations, security controls and border police, the result of terrorist threats and extensive drug smuggling from Canada that has forced US officials to deploy drones and set up listening posts.

Border problems are also due to neglect. Talks to create joint infrastructure have dragged on for years. An initiative announced in 2011 aimed at creating a two-country security perimeter, by blending police, immigration, customs and anti-terrorist efforts, has still not delivered results.

While both countries wrestle with internal political challenges, meanwhile, the economies of the larger world change and flourish. The International Monetary Fund forecasts that by 2018, China’s economy will be bigger than that of the United States and Asian economies will be bigger than the US, Canada, Germany, Britain, France, Italy and Russia combined.

Rather than continuing on this road to mutual decline, the United States and Canada should chart a new course — by joining forces.

The United States and Canada could merge into one country, or follow a European Union model that eliminates the border without merging the two governments.

At the very least, the nations should discuss joint ventures to develop Canada’s staggering, and untapped, resources in the north, an area three times bigger than Alaska.

If combined, the US and Canada would have an economy larger than the European Union. The two would be an economic superpower, bigger than South America in size, with more energy, metals and minerals, water, arable land and technology than any other nation, all protected by America’s military.

Citizens of the merged countries would have more options in terms of jobs, business opportunities, climates, studies and lifestyles.

Of course, a merger, as the Europeans discovered, can be difficult. The US and Canada have unique cultures, governments, health care, taxes, gun laws and legal systems. But we have far more similarities than differences.

Good mergers, in business or diplomacy, create advantages and opportunities. But they also deliver sound defensive strategies. Emerging economies, and the Chinese version of state capitalism, compete against the US and Canada and are aggressively and effectively winning the new Economic Cold War with their arsenal of “soft” economic weapons. These include the deployment of secretive sovereign wealth funds, government-controlled corporations and diplomatic pressure to gain control of mines, oil fields, land and even occasionally politicians.

China has targeted Canada’s resources and Russia has declared that all of the Arctic is Russian. China is now the largest owner of farmland in Africa and last month bought 5% of the land in Ukraine to help feed its people.

South Koreans attempted to take over half of Madagascar’s arable land and were only repelled after the people and military revolted and brought in a new leader. Arab nations are buying huge tracts of farmland and gaining political influence by doing so. Water, oil and metals are becoming issues going forward in these regions too.

By joining forces, such looming problems can be overcome: The US will gain national security, energy and resource independence and create millions of jobs in helping develop Canada’s north; and Canada will be able to defend and develop its huge landmass, overcoming lack of capital, workers, technology and military might.
As a business writer and citizen of both countries, I believe that forming a more perfect union should top our bilateral priorities.

The status quo is not an option, and by combining efforts and marshaling resources between two trusted and traditional partners, Canada and America will remain prosperous and also be able to protect our shared values.

source: US, Canada should merge into one country | New York Post

source #2: The Big Idea: Why Canada and U.S. Should Merge - The Daily Beast

Give it 10 more years and Canada and the USA will be one country..

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The Boom never heard of NAFTA nor the TPP agreements I would guess. As fer American values, sure, more reality TV and cheezeburgers couldn't hurt an already fifty percent brain dead N American population.

The entire article reeks of commercial grade bovine feces designed to communicate with those same above brain dead.

Boomer could you supply a list of these famous shared values? Never mind we both share values with Israel according to our corrupt pocket politicians.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
US Eh?

No two nations in the world are as integrated, economically and socially, as the United States and Canada. We share geography, values and a gigantic border.

Regardless of this close friendship, our two countries are on a slow-motion collision course — with each other and with the rest of the world.

In 1987, the two countries signed the Free Trade Agreement (Mexico joined in 1994) but the US-Canada border has become more clogged than ever, hurting trade and tourism. There are heavy regulations, security controls and border police, the result of terrorist threats and extensive drug smuggling from Canada that has forced US officials to deploy drones and set up listening posts.

Border problems are also due to neglect. Talks to create joint infrastructure have dragged on for years. An initiative announced in 2011 aimed at creating a two-country security perimeter, by blending police, immigration, customs and anti-terrorist efforts, has still not delivered results.

While both countries wrestle with internal political challenges, meanwhile, the economies of the larger world change and flourish. The International Monetary Fund forecasts that by 2018, China’s economy will be bigger than that of the United States and Asian economies will be bigger than the US, Canada, Germany, Britain, France, Italy and Russia combined.

Rather than continuing on this road to mutual decline, the United States and Canada should chart a new course — by joining forces.

The United States and Canada could merge into one country, or follow a European Union model that eliminates the border without merging the two governments.

At the very least, the nations should discuss joint ventures to develop Canada’s staggering, and untapped, resources in the north, an area three times bigger than Alaska.

If combined, the US and Canada would have an economy larger than the European Union. The two would be an economic superpower, bigger than South America in size, with more energy, metals and minerals, water, arable land and technology than any other nation, all protected by America’s military.

Citizens of the merged countries would have more options in terms of jobs, business opportunities, climates, studies and lifestyles.

Of course, a merger, as the Europeans discovered, can be difficult. The US and Canada have unique cultures, governments, health care, taxes, gun laws and legal systems. But we have far more similarities than differences.

Good mergers, in business or diplomacy, create advantages and opportunities. But they also deliver sound defensive strategies. Emerging economies, and the Chinese version of state capitalism, compete against the US and Canada and are aggressively and effectively winning the new Economic Cold War with their arsenal of “soft” economic weapons. These include the deployment of secretive sovereign wealth funds, government-controlled corporations and diplomatic pressure to gain control of mines, oil fields, land and even occasionally politicians.

China has targeted Canada’s resources and Russia has declared that all of the Arctic is Russian. China is now the largest owner of farmland in Africa and last month bought 5% of the land in Ukraine to help feed its people.

South Koreans attempted to take over half of Madagascar’s arable land and were only repelled after the people and military revolted and brought in a new leader. Arab nations are buying huge tracts of farmland and gaining political influence by doing so. Water, oil and metals are becoming issues going forward in these regions too.

By joining forces, such looming problems can be overcome: The US will gain national security, energy and resource independence and create millions of jobs in helping develop Canada’s north; and Canada will be able to defend and develop its huge landmass, overcoming lack of capital, workers, technology and military might.
As a business writer and citizen of both countries, I believe that forming a more perfect union should top our bilateral priorities.

The status quo is not an option, and by combining efforts and marshaling resources between two trusted and traditional partners, Canada and America will remain prosperous and also be able to protect our shared values.

source: US, Canada should merge into one country | New York Post

source #2: The Big Idea: Why Canada and U.S. Should Merge - The Daily Beast

Give it 10 more years and Canada and the USA will be one country..

Nah, I like you guys but don't want to "sleep" with you! -:)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
From what I see, both are maxed out for their ability for their central governments to be able to effectively provide for their widespread and varied populations. Merger would be a disaster.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I think we have enough debt to payback I wouldn't want the load they have.
Just that would be a good enough reason not to. I think we would lose out way more then any type of gain we may think we would get.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I think borders need realigning, but toward more countries, not fewer. I suggest:

Nunavut
Acadia
Canada
The Atlantic Republic
Dixie
The Republic of Texas
Bundesrepublik Mitte
The Wild West
Pacifica

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Hey darkestbeaver...my entire post should have reeked of sarcasm to you but your red says otherwise. So sarcastic as a matter of fact that I used 'excellent' twice.

No harm no foul and I'm over the hurt, but really man...:lol:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA, relax, I did it for the children reading this thread. Even sarcastic positives on this subject must be suppressed without regard to personal feelings and I do have some and it did hurt quite a bit to push the button on you but, even granny would get the same. I have defended my country, I will simply smoke away any residual guilt.

I think borders need realigning, but toward more countries, not fewer. I suggest:

Nunavut
Acadia
Canada
The Atlantic Republic
Dixie
The Republic of Texas
Bundesrepublik Mitte
The Wild West
Pacifica

Excellent idea, and if anything of freedom would exist it must happen.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
A failed merger is a disaster for all involved.

Geez Karrie... I don't know what the downside for the US is of absorbing Canada into the US.

Of course this is all far fetched... this idea. I am making assumptions on the form of government that would certainly not be a parliamentary government with the Royal Family as its head of state.

For sake of argument (or discussion)... lets just say the provinces simply became states I don't see the downside for the US... but I see it as a disaster for Canadians.