Over nine hundred dollars to clean our cat's teeth

#juan
We took Pyewacket to the vet and he said she was fairly healthy but her teeth needed cleaning. This
was going to cost over eight hundred dollars plus the cost of the anesthetic which my neighbor tells me
will beat the hell out of a 200 dollar bill. I looked at her teeth and to me, thery don't even look dirty. Pye is
eleven years old....Any opinions???

L Gilbert
Is this a trick question?

Are false teeth any cheaper for her?

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Is this a trick question?

Are false teeth any cheaper for her?

I wonder if I bought some kitty pepsodent and a kitty toothbrush, could I clean them myself?...

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

We took Pyewacket to the vet and he said she was fairly healthy but her teeth needed cleaning. This
was going to cost over eight hundred dollars plus the cost of the anesthetic which my neighbor tells me
will beat the hell out of a 200 dollar bill. I looked at her teeth and to me, thery don't even look dirty. Pye is

It sounds like a racket to me. They must keep their teeth maintained in the wild somehow. Maybe Google can help. A thousand bucks for Pyewackets smile seems steep when I know It costs a couple of hundred to clean mine.

Sal

I am def the wrong person to ask because my pets are a part of the family but here goes... it's now or after the teeth have caused damage to the heart and other organs just like they do with a human. Also if they are inflamed at all your pet is in constant pain. I would have asked for a further explanation likely but to me, I would do it if I could afford to do it. If it is going to cause hardship to your family you might want to explore other possibilities.

I would also get a second opinion regarding cost.

darkbeaver
+1

I wonder if I bought some kitty pepsodent and a kitty toothbrush, could I clean them myself?...

petsodent

karrie
+1

I've never tried to brush a cat's teeth, but after being sick for weeks and needing tons of meds due a cat bite, I don't think you'll catch me trying!

Our cat lived to 13 and never needed a teeth cleaning in his life. I've never seen anyone pay for this. If she's eating kibble and not canned food, she will likely die before her teeth rot.

Now, if she has a problem, that's another matter, but if she has no discomfort while chewing, I'd let it be.

L Gilbert
+1

To avoid a cost that high, I'd try it. lol

spaminator

as long as pye isn't complaing of tooth aches, she'll be fine.

karrie
Oh, an added note.... with our new puppy, tooth brushing went on the list of weekly maintenance work. He's a year old now, 60+lbs, and I still pin him on the floor and brush his teeth. So, his teeth should be well maintained and he shouldn't ever need a $1000 cleaning (crossing fingers).

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

I've never tried to brush a cat's teeth, but after being sick for weeks and needing tons of meds due a cat bite, I don't think you'll catch me trying!

Our cat lived to 13 and never needed a teeth cleaning in his life. I've never seen anyone pay for this. If she's eating kibble and not canned food, she will likely die before her teeth rot.

Now, if she has a problem, that's another matter, but if she has no discomfort while chewing, I'd let it be.

Yeah. Might be worth getting her chompers checked to see if there's any problems for sure. A grand seems a wee bit steep to me.

karrie
Phone around for prices elsewhere. I'm willing to bet it's the going rate.

damngrumpy
Funny you should mention this. I think you were ripped off personally. I watched a program
just before or after Christmas talking about the vets business and how people can get conned
conned is my word not CBC. They showed how some Vets see a little this and that and then
a whopper of a bill cause your cat (who could care less) will feel so much better.
BEWARE Vets are now like going to a mechanic for repairs I would question this with someone
even the society that governs them

petros
Why?

spaminator
is there pet insurance that covers all this?

karrie
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Funny you should mention this. I think you were ripped off personally. I watched a program
just before or after Christmas talking about the vets business and how people can get conned
conned is my word not CBC. They showed how some Vets see a little this and that and then
a whopper of a bill cause your cat (who could care less) will feel so much better.
BEWARE Vets are now like going to a mechanic for repairs I would question this with someone
even the society that governs them

I took my dog to a new vet for a ear ache. The whole ordeal cost me $185 more than it would if I'd taken him to a farm vet, because he kept struggling against the vet, so the vet 'had' to sedate him. Next time, I will find a vet that will muzzle and pin him down. Farm vets are way more practical.

L Gilbert
+1
I'd make a bet that cost depends upon whether the critter is a pet or a farm animal, too. The more emotional value one places on something, the higher the cost, I think.

Zipperfish
Is the cat in pain? If the animal was suffering because of it, maybe. But even then--$900. Baloney.

L Gilbert
NO2 is pretty cheap. I think I'd try it myself. $140 for a 10 pounder.

damngrumpy
These vets are doing things that don't need to be done apparently not all but
enough of them. No way to have teeth cleaned on a pet is going to run a
person 900 bucks. The other thing that should be noted if you are going to have
something done get a quote.

karrie
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

I'd make a bet that cost depends upon whether the critter is a pet or a farm animal, too. The more emotional value one places on something, the higher the cost, I think.

Nah. I've taken my pets to farm vets and had them be super practical about treatment. The one time, it was the cat went on to live to 13. Neighbour dogs had caught and shaken him so bad, he was paralyzed from the waist down. I was beside myself, sobbing, the vet could have milked me for tons.

Do you know what it cost me to fix that cat?

The vet visit, plus $5 worth of steroids.

And when he got sick later as he was recovering (bladder infection because he could pee properly while paralyzed), I didn't eve have to bring him back in for a repeat visit, they just had me come pick up anti-b's.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Nah. I've taken my pets to farm vets and had them be super practical about treatment. The one time, it was the cat went on to live to 13. Neighbour dogs had caught and shaken him so bad, he was paralyzed from the waist down. I was beside myself, sobbing, the vet could have milked me for tons.

Do you know what it cost me to fix that cat?

The vet visit, plus $5 worth of steroids.

And when he got sick later as he was recovering (bladder infection because he could pee properly while paralyzed), I didn't eve have to bring him back in for a repeat visit, they just had me come pick up anti-b's.

Awesome! Only vets we've known have also been friends and as we have lived rural fo most of our lives and marriage, they have been farm vets anyways. One in Creston even wrote a Herriot type book or two.

#juan
Sorry I've been away for a few hours. Our power went off a couple hours ago. Back on now....don't know for how long...

petros
+1
Did winter happen or just a transformer? Did anybody die as if it were ON?
Last edited by petros; Jan 29th, 2014 at 08:31 PM..

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Did winter happen or just a traspnsformer? Did anybody die as if it were ON?

Or worse yet, Atlanta?

#juan

Did winter happen or just a traspnsformer? Did anybody die as if it were ON?

Don't know. The power just went off. No obvious reason.

petros
+1

Don't know. The power just went off. No obvious reason.

Did you have to run for your life to the nearest school gymnasium?

SLM

Did you have to run for your life to the nearest school gymnasium?

Run out of food? Just want to hold your children? Lol

taxslave
SOunds like the vet knew you had a big fat pension cheque in your wallet and was trying to lighten the load for you.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Run out of food? Just want to hold your children? Lol

I can live on pickles and beets for 4-5 months, then we eat the kids.