Over nine hundred dollars to clean our cat's teeth

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We took Pyewacket to the vet and he said she was fairly healthy but her teeth needed cleaning. This
was going to cost over eight hundred dollars plus the cost of the anesthetic which my neighbor tells me
will beat the hell out of a 200 dollar bill. I looked at her teeth and to me, thery don't even look dirty. Pye is
eleven years old....Any opinions???

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We took Pyewacket to the vet and he said she was fairly healthy but her teeth needed cleaning. This
was going to cost over eight hundred dollars plus the cost of the anesthetic which my neighbor tells me
will beat the hell out of a 200 dollar bill. I looked at her teeth and to me, thery don't even look dirty. Pye is

It sounds like a racket to me. They must keep their teeth maintained in the wild somehow. Maybe Google can help. A thousand bucks for Pyewackets smile seems steep when I know It costs a couple of hundred to clean mine.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I am def the wrong person to ask because my pets are a part of the family but here goes... it's now or after the teeth have caused damage to the heart and other organs just like they do with a human. Also if they are inflamed at all your pet is in constant pain. I would have asked for a further explanation likely but to me, I would do it if I could afford to do it. If it is going to cause hardship to your family you might want to explore other possibilities.

I would also get a second opinion regarding cost.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I've never tried to brush a cat's teeth, but after being sick for weeks and needing tons of meds due a cat bite, I don't think you'll catch me trying!

Our cat lived to 13 and never needed a teeth cleaning in his life. I've never seen anyone pay for this. If she's eating kibble and not canned food, she will likely die before her teeth rot.

Now, if she has a problem, that's another matter, but if she has no discomfort while chewing, I'd let it be.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
as long as pye isn't complaing of tooth aches, she'll be fine. ;)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh, an added note.... with our new puppy, tooth brushing went on the list of weekly maintenance work. He's a year old now, 60+lbs, and I still pin him on the floor and brush his teeth. So, his teeth should be well maintained and he shouldn't ever need a $1000 cleaning (crossing fingers).

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I've never tried to brush a cat's teeth, but after being sick for weeks and needing tons of meds due a cat bite, I don't think you'll catch me trying!

Our cat lived to 13 and never needed a teeth cleaning in his life. I've never seen anyone pay for this. If she's eating kibble and not canned food, she will likely die before her teeth rot.

Now, if she has a problem, that's another matter, but if she has no discomfort while chewing, I'd let it be.
Yeah. Might be worth getting her chompers checked to see if there's any problems for sure. A grand seems a wee bit steep to me.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Funny you should mention this. I think you were ripped off personally. I watched a program
just before or after Christmas talking about the vets business and how people can get conned
conned is my word not CBC. They showed how some Vets see a little this and that and then
a whopper of a bill cause your cat (who could care less) will feel so much better.
BEWARE Vets are now like going to a mechanic for repairs I would question this with someone
even the society that governs them

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Funny you should mention this. I think you were ripped off personally. I watched a program
just before or after Christmas talking about the vets business and how people can get conned
conned is my word not CBC. They showed how some Vets see a little this and that and then
a whopper of a bill cause your cat (who could care less) will feel so much better.
BEWARE Vets are now like going to a mechanic for repairs I would question this with someone
even the society that governs them

I took my dog to a new vet for a ear ache. The whole ordeal cost me $185 more than it would if I'd taken him to a farm vet, because he kept struggling against the vet, so the vet 'had' to sedate him. Next time, I will find a vet that will muzzle and pin him down. Farm vets are way more practical.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
These vets are doing things that don't need to be done apparently not all but
enough of them. No way to have teeth cleaned on a pet is going to run a
person 900 bucks. The other thing that should be noted if you are going to have
something done get a quote.