Texting and Driving. All the really cool idiots are doing it!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Florida driver learns why texting and driving is a very bad idea

Don't text and drive.
A terrifying crash in Fort Myers, Florida, was recently captured by an officer's dash cam.
The cause: texting while driving.

On January 4, Officer Ivan Moorer of the Fort Myers Police Department started trailing a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am after he noticed it swerving erratically.
The driver, Michael James Woody Jr., 23, wasn't drunk. He was just texting.
After Woody made "the world's worst right turn," he accelerated across the lane and onto the sidewalk, striking a guardrail, bus stop sign and tree, before flipping over, according to the crash report.
The video shows a shaken-up Woody crawling out the window of the overturned car.

Woody, who was promptly cited for both careless driving and texting while driving, survived the crash uninjured.
Here's hoping he's learned his lesson.
According to The Canadian Automobile Association, texting drivers are 23 times more likely to be in an accident or a "near-crash event" than drivers who are paying attention to the road.
"Distracted driving has always a major factor in collisions, but it's been a result of electronic technology that has really brought it to the forefront," Ontario Provincial Police Sgt. Pierre Chamberland told CBC News last August.

A 2011 study found that drivers' reaction times double when texting — and that included just reading texts.
"The act of reading and writing a text message are equally impairing and equally dangerous," said one of the study's authors.
So if you're tempted to just read texts from a phone on your lap — "It's hands-free, right?" — don't. Crotches kill.

Florida driver learns why texting and driving is a very bad idea.

And this is a slogan I want to see on a billboard.

:D

Well hot damn!

Your crotch can kill, claim Alberta ads.

An edgy new campaign aimed at distracted drivers is being rolled out across Alberta called "Crotches Kill."
The idea is to remind drivers to keep their eyes on the road and not on the phones in their lap.
"Because every text you send from your lap takes your eyes off the road for five seconds — enough to do a lifetime of damage," the ad states.
The $380,000 campaign is rolling out on radio, billboards, posters and online in two phases.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Police using big rigs to catch texting drivers | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

The fines of $200 for texting needs to be increased to $2000 for cars. Bigger the fine, more chances people will think twice before texting while driving..

Truckers fine is $2,750 in most states.. if caught texting while driving.. personally they should take away the drivers CDL.

I get a kick out of using my air horn when passing someone texting while driving.. they lose it.. and my truck has a real air horn.. not a sissy horn like the newer trucks.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Non-idiotic people will sometimes attempt idiotic things, happens to the best of us. But when he almost went off the road the first time, that probably should have been enough to inform him that perhaps he wasn't skilled enough to text and drive at the same time.

But noooooo he had to keep practicing until he got it right. Well done. :roll:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
....that perhaps he wasn't skilled enough to text and drive at the same time.

There is the problem.. those words right there...

"Oh i'm not that drunk"

"Oh I'm a a good driver, I can text and drive"

Nobody is skilled enough to text and drive.. that 3 seconds you look down, you look back up and surprise..

Yup 3:00AM travelling south in my Neon.. nobody on the road.. nope wasn't texting, checking an app for the next fuel stop.. 3 seconds down and looked up and OH SH!T!!!

Big A$$ Elk on the road..

Just best to toss the phone in the glove box.. no message or phone call is that important..

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
that kid had multiple warnings each one bigger than the time before...glad he didn't kill someone including himself

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
There is the problem.. those words right there...

"Oh i'm not that drunk"

"Oh I'm a a good driver, I can text and drive"

Nobody is skilled enough to text and drive.. that 3 seconds you look down, you look back up and surprise..

Well exactly. If you're not smart enough to know that from the get go, then almost running your car off the road the first time should have alerted you.

There is a reason why we have the Darwin Awards.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I hope he broke his phone.
now pete, don't be mean, guys gotta do what a guys gotta do...did you see him pulling his pants back up over his azz...I freaking laugh at those guys with their azz hanging out like it's truly a fashion statement...dorks.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I finally bought a new phone recently after throwing my old one out the window about 10 years ago. Not much has changed. This one will probably end up getting tossed too.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
As usual, we have a one size fits all approach to problem solving. I push I button and speak into my phone to send text messages. That's illegal because of bozos like the guy in the video.

By the way, I wonder who considers that a "terrifying" accident.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I finally bought a new phone recently after throwing my old one out the window about 10 years ago. Not much has changed. This one will probably end up getting tossed too.
keep it, in another thread an old lady lay in the cold elements for "daze" when a simple call could have helped her. Besides land lines are going the way of the dinosaur.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
She didn't even have to start eating the mice yet. There is enough water and protein in them to survive until you heal.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
As usual, we have a one size fits all approach to problem solving. I push I button and speak into my phone to send text messages. That's illegal because of bozos like the guy in the video.

As far as I understood it hands free devices are fine.

More like a very ordinary garden variety crash.

Take that up with this individual, she wrote the story.

By Nadine Kalinauskas | Daily Buzz – Fri, 17 Jan, 2014

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

I bet the flippee was a bit shaken....

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
As far as I understood it hands free devices are fine.

Without Bluetooth in the vehicle you still have to hold the phone which is illegal. I can talk all day on my two-way radio but it's "dangerous" to talk into my phone. Once again, sanity goes out the window.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Without Bluetooth in the vehicle you still have to hold the phone which is illegal. I can talk all day on my two-way radio but it's "dangerous" to talk into my phone. Once again, sanity goes out the window.

We did a little enquiring about that and was told that two way radios would require bluetooth to be legal too.