Father, son killed in murder-suicide plunge from NYC high rise

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Father, son killed in murder-suicide plunge from NYC high rise
Reuters
First posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 03:48 PM EST | Updated: Monday, December 23, 2013 04:08 PM EST
NEW YORK – A father and his 3-year-old son died after the man threw the boy from the roof of a luxury Manhattan high-rise and then leapt off the building on Sunday following “domestic turmoil” with the boy’s mother, New York police said on Monday.
The father was Dmitriy Kanarikov, a 35-year-old Brooklyn resident, and his son was Kirill.
“Tragically, he took the son to the roof and all indications are that he threw him off and... jumped himself,” New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly told reporters. “The mother, obviously, is very distraught.”
Kanarikov and the boy’s mother, who has not been identified, were married in 2009 but had split up in August. The mother obtained a restraining order against Kanarikov, and he was allowed only supervised visits with the child, Kelly said.
Kanarikov had demanded that she sign over their Brooklyn home and other property to him and had threatened to “take” their child if she did not, Kelly said, though he declined to say when that threat was made.
Kelly said Kanarikov had never threatened to harm his son.
On Sunday, Kanarikov picked his son up at 10 a.m. and together they went to the South Park Tower, on Manhattan’s West Side, where an acquaintance lived. That acquaintance was not believed to have been involved in the incident and is not being investigated as an accomplice, Kelly said.
Dmitriy Kanarikov, right, and his son, Kirill. (Facebook)

Father, son killed in murder-suicide plunge from NYC high rise | World | News | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Dad threw son off highrise in retaliation: Mom
Reuters
First posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 03:01 PM EST | Updated: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 03:58 PM EST
NEW YORK – The grieving mother whose estranged husband threw their 3-year old son off a Manhattan skyscraper in a murder-suicide on Sunday said the act was his “sick” way of retaliating against her over a bitter custody dispute.
Svetlana Kanarikov had recently agreed to Sunday visits between her estranged husband, Dmitriy Kanarikov, 35, and their son, Kirill, she said in a statement released late Monday through her attorney.
The couple, who were married in 2009 but separated in August, had been feuding in court over property and the custody of the child.
“I was nervous about the visits, but the father never did anything violent against the child before,” Svetlana Kanarikov said in the statement. “When we first separated, Dmitriy told me that he would leave me alone only if I left him everything we had together.”
As part of the temporary agreement, she said, the boy was to live with her and spend three hours each Sunday with his father.
After two Sunday visits earlier this month, she said her son was “happy after seeing his Dad.”
On Sunday, according to New York police, Dmitriy Kanarikov took his son to the 52-floor rooftop of a residential highrise on Manhattan’s Upper West Side and threw the boy off before jumping himself.
Both father and son were killed in the fall, police said.
Dad threw son off highrise in retaliation: Mom | World | News | Toronto Sun

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There has to be a special place in hell for such a person. Imagine being so evil you
would kill a small boy because you couldn't have your own way. It is beyond words
to describe how one feels after hearing of this.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
And he had never shown any signs of psychosis in the time they were together?

I thought it said the visits were supervised...what am I missing here?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I am not condoning or excusing this in any way or form, but this happens all too often and one wonders if the family court system contributes to such terrible acts by not being the impartial venue it is supposed to be. I have seen family members go through divorce and have also seen (in Ontario) where preferential treatment is given to the mother during a custody dispute. I know a family member who walked away for the good of his children because the wife played so many games using the children as pawns that it became toxic and dysfunctional. He lost his kids during this time and it would not be until they grew up and got out of the clutches of their mother that they would have a relationship with their father. The decision to step back was after he bankrupted himself in the courts for joint custody and trying to get the mother to be there when he tried to pick up the kids. As I said at the beginning of this post, I'm not defending the actions of this father, but perhaps cases like this need to have their history dissected to see if there are factors that could have been addressed and perhaps in some cases a horrible tragedy such as this can be stopped before it happens.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I am not condoning or excusing this in any way or form, but this happens all too often and one wonders if the family court system contributes to such terrible acts by not being the impartial venue it is supposed to be. I have seen family members go through divorce and have also seen (in Ontario) where preferential treatment is given to the mother during a custody dispute. I know a family member who walked away for the good of his children because the wife played so many games using the children as pawns that it became toxic and dysfunctional. He lost his kids during this time and it would not be until they grew up and got out of the clutches of their mother that they would have a relationship with their father. The decision to step back was after he bankrupted himself in the courts for joint custody and trying to get the mother to be there when he tried to pick up the kids. As I said at the beginning of this post, I'm not defending the actions of this father, but perhaps cases like this need to have their history dissected to see if there are factors that could have been addressed and perhaps in some cases a horrible tragedy such as this can be stopped before it happens.

I think there's a lot to what you say and I know that you're not making an excuse for this guy but the biggest most significant difference between this guy and the family member you described is that your family member sacrificed himself, he put his kid(s) first. This guy didn't, obviously, but I think you either have that in you or you don't. While I'd absolutely acknowledge that the court system plays a large role in perpetuating the problems already inherent in custody disputes, I can't imagine this guy benefiting from any other type of intervention. I cannot imagine anyone who would toss their own child off a roof being within reach of help to be honest. Maybe it should be tried no matter what; probably we should always try to help. But at the end of the day, a parent, a real parent, does not put themselves ahead of their child no matter how much they may feel they've been treated unfairly.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I think there's a lot to what you say and I know that you're not making an excuse for this guy but the biggest most significant difference between this guy and the family member you described is that your family member sacrificed himself, he put his kid(s) first. This guy didn't, obviously, but I think you either have that in you or you don't. While I'd absolutely acknowledge that the court system plays a large role in perpetuating the problems already inherent in custody disputes, I can't imagine this guy benefiting from any other type of intervention. I cannot imagine anyone who would toss their own child off a roof being within reach of help to be honest. Maybe it should be tried no matter what; probably we should always try to help. But at the end of the day, a parent, a real parent, does not put themselves ahead of their child no matter how much they may feel they've been treated unfairly.

Very valid points. I knew a lady whose two sons killed themselves approximately four years apart. Both were drug related, but I was astounded and appalled that the second son would commit such a selfish act after seeing what the first suicide did to his mother. The fact of the matter is that people in that state of mind don't think like we do, they are lost, overwhelmed by whatever demons they have. I could never toss a child from a roof, but someone with severe depression might in fact do that. This guy was an A-Hole, no doubt about it, but it seems pretty clear that he had severe emotional problems otherwise he would not have done such a horrible thing. We need to learn from this, to look for patterns in behavior, to make sure we are not contributing to the mania.

This is such a terrible tragedy. Sadly, it won't be the last of its sort.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Very valid points. I knew a lady whose two sons killed themselves approximately four years apart. Both were drug related, but I was astounded and appalled that the second son would commit such a selfish act after seeing what the first suicide did to his mother. The fact of the matter is that people in that state of mind don't think like we do, they are lost, overwhelmed by whatever demons they have. I could never toss a child from a roof, but someone with severe depression might in fact do that. This guy was an A-Hole, no doubt about it, but it seems pretty clear that he had severe emotional problems otherwise he would not have done such a horrible thing. We need to learn from this, to look for patterns in behavior, to make sure we are not contributing to the mania.

This is such a terrible tragedy. Sadly, it won't be the last of its sort.

While you make a lot of good points, Mark, who's to say that depression was fully the motive behind his actions? All we need to do is look at the POS Guy Turcotte that murdered his children for no other reason than to spite his wife. I'm not saying this is what the guy in this story was doing, just that you never know what is going on in their heads (until it is too late).