What Purpose Does It Serve?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Newtown 911 recordings released

DANBURY, Conn. - Audio recordings from the Connecticut school shooting that killed 20 children and six educators a year ago reveal a mixture of calm and anguish from the callers, and gunshots from the assailant are heard in the background.
Officials in Newtown, Connecticut, on Wednesday released the 911 phone calls from the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in what may be the final official report on the tragedy that rocked the United States.
Gunman Adam Lanza, 20, shot dead his mother at home on Dec 14, 2012, then went to the school, where he massacred 26 people before killing himself.
“They’re shooting at the front door, something’s going on ... The front glass is all shot out, it kept going on. It’s still happening,” a man calling himself Richard, sounding agitated and confused, told a 911 emergency operator in one of the seven phone recordings.
The operator calmly told him to take cover.
Town officials initially tried to prevent release of the recordings. The state Freedom of Information Commission ordered seven calls placed from inside the elementary school to be aired.
Late last month, a judge ruled the town must comply with the commission’s order, and Newtown officials have since dropped their appeal. First Selectman Pat Llodra recently reversed her long-standing position, saying the tapes should be released in full in order to prevent partial leaks.
One of the first callers, a deeply-anguished woman, grows increasingly distraught over the course of the 24-second call. In the final seconds, she grows more insistent, pleading with the 911 operator for help.
“They’re still running, they’re still shooting,” she said, a volley of several gunshots audible in the background. “Sandy Hook school, please!”
On another call, a woman who described herself as a teacher said she was shot in the foot. The 911 operator instructed her to apply pressure on the wound.
“There’s children in this room,” the teacher said, sighing heavily.
“Are you OK right now?” the 911 operator asks?
“For now, hopefully,” the teacher said, sounding worried.
On Tuesday, Newtown School Superintendent John Reed emailed parents to alert them to the recordings’ release and remind them they could serve as an “emotional trigger.”
Last week, State’s Attorney Stephen Sedensky released a report on the Newtown massacre that concluded Lanza had acted alone, and that his motivation for the attack “may never be answered.”
The town has intended for the 911 recordings to be the final release of evidence from the case. Other phone calls and crime scene photographs exist but have been sealed by state officials
Otherwise, once the Dec. 14 anniversary has passed, the town may finally get a reprieve from the exhaustive media coverage of the past year.
“Vulture media, you got your tapes,” read a hand-painted sign on a telephone pole in Newtown on Wednesday. “Please leave.”

Sandy Hook Shooting: 911 Calls From Newtown Massacre (ALL CALLS) - YouTube

Newtown 911 recordings released

I haven't listened...I really don't want to hear it. I know what happened, I don't need to know sordid details.

What purpose is there to making them release the recordings? Does it satisfy some grim thrill? I really don't get it. It's not 'news', there's nothing in there that I can conceive of that would benefit the public to know, at least nothing that needs to be heard directly. It's just sensational. Some media outlets looking to make a few more bucks out of this tragedy?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
emotional voyeurism. It's something society would be well served to condition out of our news media.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
emotional voyeurism. It's something society would be well served to condition out of our news media.

Thank you. That's the phrase I was looking for....I was just too aghast at the news of what was happening to think clearly enough.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
On occasion 911 operators have screwed the pooch. Then the reason exists- Outside of those few there is no need to release these tapes.
And I agree with Karrie's point.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Helps shut the conspiracy nuts up. Its so strange that some believe it was faked. Of course the fact that it took a year for tapes like this to surface will probably just fuel their paranoia.

Other than that it simply puts what happened out in the open. We can say we know what happened by reading transcripts. Listening and watching is quite different. I havent listened either and dont know if I ever will. Now people have the choice of finding out more or less exactly what happened in detail.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Helps shut the conspiracy nuts up. Its so strange that some believe it was faked. Of course the fact that it took a year for tapes like this to surface will probably just fuel their paranoia.

Other than that it simply puts what happened out in the open. We can say we know what happened by reading transcripts. Listening and watching is quite different. I havent listened either and dont know if I ever will. Now people have the choice of finding out more or less exactly what happened in detail.

You know what? I say screw their paranoia...they can suffer...there is no need to listen to people dying or desperately pleading for help when they are in fear for their lives. Idiots and their conspiracy theories can get stuffed.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
You know what? I say screw their paranoia...they can suffer...there is no need to listen to people dying or desperately pleading for help when they are in fear for their lives. Idiots and their conspiracy theories can get stuffed.

Unfortunately that does nothing to stop them from spreading their ideas. There are a surprising number of them and they are growing. That can have some serious negative effects long term.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Unfortunately that does nothing to stop them from spreading their ideas. There are a surprising number of them and they are growing. That can have some serious negative effects long term.

Somebody needs to slap the stupid out of them.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
.Teddy Bear grief. Everyone wants to be a part of the story. This abhorrent event should not be replayed for any reason. Michael Moore is an A-hole for endorsing such voyeuristic behavior.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

he looks perfectly normal. :shock: :wink:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
In a way, it's like the video that's out there that shows the Paul Walker accident. I don't have any desire to watch it, as I know that two people are dead (dying?) while the car is on fire. It's a horrible enough death that I don't need to watch it "live".

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
They'd be dead by the end of that.

And that would be a problem because?????

Kidding. Sort of.

In a way, it's like the video that's out there that shows the Paul Walker accident. I don't have any desire to watch it, as I know that two people are dead (dying?) while the car is on fire. It's a horrible enough death that I don't need to watch it "live".

There's no "need" other than a perverse thrill.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I never watch tv news at all. Too sensationalistic for my taste, at least in print you can be more discerning in what you read.