Why seniors shouldn’t get discounts

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Why seniors shouldn’t get discounts

Seniors today are among the richest, most comfortable people in the country. (That’s why.)

By Peter Shawn | Maclean's – Sun, 24 Nov, 2013

While Travelling in Hungary this past summer with his wife, Ernst Friedel had a revelation. “Anyone 65 and over is allowed to use the Budapest transit system for free,” he reports. “And everyone seemed very happy about that.”
Friedel, a retiree from Waterloo, Ont., enjoyed the experience so much, he figures senior citizens at home should get a similar deal. “If you made transit passes free for seniors, even if it was only during off-peak hours, it wouldn’t cost the system anything, there would be many more passengers and the seniors would certainly appreciate it.”
Canadian transit systems may not let seniors ride for free, but they do go out of their way to provide cheap fares. Friedel’s hometown Grand River Transit, for example, offers a 16 per cent discount on monthly passes. Calgary Transit goes much further, selling a yearly pass to anyone over 65 for $95, or less than one-tenth the regular price. That price is cut to $15 for seniors in financial need.

As any attentive shopper knows, cheap bus travel is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to seniors discounts. Shoppers Drug Mart has made the last Thursday of every month famous with its 20 per cent off promotion for anyone over 55 years old. Competitor Rexall Pharmaplus offers a similar discount on the last Tuesday of the month for shoppers over 65. (Although, from now until the end of December, every Tuesday is seniors’ day.) The Bay gives customers 60 years and older a 15 per cent discount on the first Tuesday of each month. And numerous hotels, taxi cabs, hamburger joints, optometrists, movie theatres and arts groups give seniors a hefty discount any time. With careful timing and planning, a senior almost never needs to pay full price.
The public sector is even more generous. Everything from taxes to incidental fees gets cheaper when you turn 65. Alberta exempts seniors from provincial health care premiums and gives them a break on medical devices such as hearing aids. Senior citizens in most provinces pay only a fraction of the cost of prescription drugs, and often these co-payments are capped at a few hundred dollars. And there are also substantial property-tax rebates available for senior homeowners from coast to coast. Beyond such big-ticket items, countless smaller expenses are also discounted. Seniors in Prince Edward Island can get a fishing licence for free. Anyone 65 and older visiting Fundy National Park in New Brunswick gets $1.00 off the regular admission rate; at Banff National Park in Alberta, it’s a $1.50 discount. The city of Toronto shovels seniors’ snow for free. As well, numerous universities allow seniors to take courses either without paying tuition or at substantial discounts. The list, quite literally, goes on and on and on.

More here:

Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Well, that'll be sure to piss some people off.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Lol. Is this a popcorn event?

I came across it on yahoo and thought it looked "stimulate discussion and debate" worthy, lol.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
DaS already has more rights than me, lol.
Yup, I can fish without a licence

But so could you if you pushed it......

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Lol. Is this a popcorn event?

I came across it on yahoo and thought it looked "stimulate discussion and debate" worthy, lol.

Let me help get it started.

Old people are idiots!

:lol:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Seniors deserve a discount cause...... It's the only way stores will get those cheap bastards to spend any money?

:lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think the issue isn't that seniors shouldn't get discounts. I think the issue is that we almost seem to have hit a point where we need to redefine what senior means.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I think the issue isn't that seniors shouldn't get discounts. I think the issue is that we almost seem to have hit a point where we need to redefine what senior means.

Then do it....just do it... don't just talk about it...do it...do it...do it.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

Or that we have already redefined what being a senior is.
Maybe seniors arn't doing so bad anymore. Mission accomplished

That's something we can be proud of as a nation no?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Just because someone has lived on the earth for a while doesn't mean they need any special discounts. At 74 my ex boss is worth millions, someone explain to me why he needs discounts on everything.