Iran nuclear program deal reached with world powers during diplomatic talks in Geneva

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Iran nuclear program deal reached with world powers during diplomatic talks in Geneva

Iran has reached an agreement with world powers over its nuclear program, according to diplomats at talks in Geneva.

Details of the agreement have yet to be made public, but Iran said earlier on Saturday (local time) it would not accept any agreement that did not recognise what it describes as its "right to enrich uranium".

The agreement between the Islamic state and the United States, France, Germany, Britain, China and Russia was nailed down after more than four days of negotiations.

Tehran denies it would ever "weaponise" enrichment.

Refined uranium can be used to fuel nuclear power plants - Iran's stated goal - but also provide the fissile core of an atomic bomb if refined much further.

Diplomacy was stepped up after the landslide election of Hassan Rouhani, a relative moderate, as Iranian president in June, replacing bellicose nationalist Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Iran nuclear program deal reached with world powers during diplomatic talks in Geneva - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Iran has reached an agreement with world powers over its nuclear program, according to diplomats at talks in Geneva.

Details of the agreement have yet to be made public, but Iran said earlier on Saturday (local time) it would not accept any agreement that did not recognise what it describes as its "right to enrich uranium".

The agreement between the Islamic state and the United States, France, Germany, Britain, China and Russia was nailed down after more than four days of negotiations.

Tehran denies it would ever "weaponise" enrichment.

Refined uranium can be used to fuel nuclear power plants - Iran's stated goal - but also provide the fissile core of an atomic bomb if refined much further.

Diplomacy was stepped up after the landslide election of Hassan Rouhani, a relative moderate, as Iranian president in June, replacing bellicose nationalist Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Iran nuclear program deal reached with world powers during diplomatic talks in Geneva - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

"relative moderate"????

Rouhani might be the relative of a moderate, but if so the poor guy is probably hanging from his toes in some dungeon.

Six Questions About Iranian President Hassan Rouhani | Irwin Cotler

My suspicion is that the idiot west has been duped again.

Geneva, Don't Forget Iran's History of Negotiating in Bad Faith | Irwin Cotler

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This deal = +1 faith in humanity.

Now to get moving on North Korea.

When the issue is the defense of the Jewish state (which this is) and the main players are European politicians, faith in their humanity is a huge mistake.

As for North Korea, we wouldn't be in this mess with them if it weren't for that idiot Jimmy Carter.

"Peace in our time"......the Great PreWar Joke.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I don't like wading into the j00 thing.

For me this is about an unproven state making some ground on the international stage and the rest of us sleeping easier knowing there is reduced threat.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I don't like wading into the j00 thing.

For me this is about an unproven state making some ground on the international stage and the rest of us sleeping easier knowing there is reduced threat.

I know and I don't blame you, but it IS a Jew thing.

How safe this feels depends very much on where you live......in the short term.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Well I would assume proximity and that religion war is obviously a problem over there but I do also think most people around the world are skeptical of letting a state like Iran develop nuclear weapons.

I think everyone can acknowledge this as a step in the right direction though.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Well I would assume proximity and that religion war is obviously a problem over there but I do also think most people around the world are skeptical of letting a state like Iran develop nuclear weapons.

I think everyone can acknowledge this as a step in the right direction though.

Two things:

1. I will give you that we do not know the details....and that I am simply very untrusting in this matter.

2. Israel will do whatever is necessary in its own defense, no matter what the world thinks.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Sometimes Peace is the Joker in the pack. What we think is peace is not really peace.
Chamberlain was Peace in our Time, and after he said that six months later his peace
effort turned into a conflict that killed millions.
There are times a leap of faith is required. There would still be a Cold War if there was
no trust with the Russians. Mind you we were dealing with sane people in the Middle
East we are not. The Middle East should not be regarded as a group of countries on a
map. They should be regarded as mental institutions and labelled as such.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
How about you bring this closer to reality because I have no idea what your analogy even means.

Also, I don't know the efficacy of Haaretz as an Israeli publication but they also seem to believe it's in everyone's best interest.

http://www.haaretz.com/mobile/.premium-1.559860

Despite the irate responses from the Prime Minister’s Office to the agreement signed in Geneva early Sunday between Iran and six world powers, the deal is not really a bad one. Even from an Israeli perspective, it is actually a reasonable deal. Maybe even a good one.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How about you bring this closer to reality because I have no idea what your analogy even means.
My point was about trust. I was just trying to bring it down to smaller terms you could relate to.

But I can see you don't trust me, which also helps get my point across, lol.

I can understand Israel's apprehension, and oddly enough, yours.

Also, I don't know the efficacy of Haaretz as an Israeli publication but they also seem to believe it's in everyone's best interest.
Isn't any process that involves discussion, as apposed to conflict, in everyone's best interest?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When the issue is the defense of the Jewish state (which this is) and the main players are European politicians, faith in their humanity is a huge mistake.

As for North Korea, we wouldn't be in this mess with them if it weren't for that idiot Jimmy Carter.

"Peace in our time"......the Great PreWar Joke.

F-ck 'em. We don,'t. have any obligations.