Should lithium be added to drinking water to help prevent suicide?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via Fark:

Since adding fluoride to the water supply help prevent cavities is such a success, officials are now thinking about adding lithium to the water supply to help prevent suicides

A study carried out in June of 2011 demonstrated that drinking water contaminated with lithium could actually lower suicide rates, according to MedicalXpress.com. So should lithium be added as a supplement to the water supply, as is done with fluoride?

In the study, 6,460 samples of drinking water were tested across 99 districts in Austria. Districts with higher levels of lithium tended to report lower suicide rates. The results weren't terribly shocking, as lithium has been used for decades to treat a medley of mental health concerns, including depression. This was the first time its effect was measured based on trace amounts within drinking water, however.

In some areas lithium occurs naturally in the water supply, likely leached out of rocks and stones. However, there is growing reason to suspect that lithium levels in the water are increasing due to its use as a prescription drug.

more

Should lithium be added to drinking water to help prevent suicide? | MNN - Mother Nature Network

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Medicate the entire population without their consent? Um, I'm going to go with no.

I'd seriously question a doctor if he or she was suggesting a mood altering medication, why in the name of hell would I leave that kind of decision to a government?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Okay cool but if anybody plays Free Bird I will shoot.

To be like the 70's they need to add cocaine to the water.

Everybody would drink nothing but water, would be very very happy and energetic.

I Feel Love - Donna Summer - YouTube

Ah, I see your Donna Summer and raise you Billion Dollar Babies!8O

Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies - YouTube

As well as synthesizers and drum machines. I really hate those things. Those things ruined a lot of otherwise good songs for me.

Not used by these guys until the 80's (See the 80's were evil. ;))

Queen - Killer Queen - YouTube

As for the lithium - looks like its going to be there whether the government puts it there or not.

Didnt do much good for this guy:

Nirvana- MTV Video Music Awards 1992. Lithium - YouTube
There were some gems in the 90's. Sad the way his story did ultimately end.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Any band/artist(e) with a drum machine or that uses autotune should be lit on fire.

Remember, more cowbell.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
if lithium batteries last longer, perhaps lithium in water will help us last longer. ;)