Darwin Awards

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Bungee Jumper
[SIZE=-1]
1997 Darwin Awards Runner-Up
Confirmed True by Darwin[/SIZE]

(13 July 1997, Virginia) Eric A. Barcia, a 22-year-old Reston, VA resident, was found dead yesterday after he used bungee cords to jump off a 70-foot railroad trestle, police said.
The fast food worker taped a number of bungee cords together and strapped one end around his foot. Barcia had the foresight to anchor the other end to the trestle at Lake Accotink Park, and he even remembered to measure the length of the bungee cords to make sure that they were a few feet short of the 70 foot drop. He proceeded to fall headfirst from the trestle, and hit the pavement 70 feet below several seconds later.
Fairfax County police said "The stretched length of the cord that he had assembled was greater than the distance between the trestle and the ground." Perhaps the deceased fast food worker should have stuck to the line, "Do you want fries with that?"

Guy patienly waits for elevator and gets on said elevator..flv - YouTube

Little bit late, ain't it?

Well, it's always best if these dopes take themselves out of the gene pool before they have kids but it is
always good to get them out anytime....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Did he forget the pool was on the other side of the house? :roll:

If he didn't break bones he was very lucky. It appeared to be a jump of about twenty five feet. I once jumped off a 15 foot roof and broke a leg.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I like that video of the lift. I almost accidentally spat out my tea with laughter when he fell down the shaft.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones
Little bit late, ain't it?
Well, it's always best if these dopes take themselves out of the gene pool before they have kids but it is
always good to get them out anytime....

I think ****face meant that you were reporting it a bit late. But who would know.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Having sex on a rail road track surely must qualify both parties for a Darwin award. Both the dead and the legless.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A few years ago I looked under a train to see if I thought there was room for a man (nutcase) to be between the rails when a train went by. without injury. At the time I thought it was really close. I didn't even consider two people under there at the same time doing anything...My conclusion is that there isn't any kind of safety margin for even one person

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Apparently the man is disputing his place in the Darwin Awards....Darwin committee responded that he didn't have a leg to stand on! :lol:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Austin Dawkins, 37, of Clarksville, was charged with one count of reckless conduct, according to Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens.

On Oct. 16, Dawkins was fueling his Ford F-250 at the Gulf Food Mart at 183 Grant Street when he ignited a cigarette lighter near his gas tank causing a fuel vapor explosion, according to Hudgens.

Dawkins' wife, Jessica Dawkins, 30, was standing next to her husband when the explosion occurred. She sustained second and third degree burns to her legs, arms, back and head.

The case has been turned over to the Habersham District Attorney's Office for prosecution.

Investigators: Man causes a fuel explosion at gas station - CBS Atlanta News

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Babysitter admits killing infant in game of airplane gone wrong
By Heather Rivers ,Woodstock Sentinel-Review
First posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 07:51 PM EST | Updated: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 08:00 PM EST
WOODSTOCK, Ont. — Murder charges were dropped against Ingersoll, Ont., babysitter Mellissa Garland following a shocking confession by the accused.
At what was supposed to be the start of a lengthy jury trial, a new version emerged of what happened on the morning of Aug. 9, 2010, to eventually cause the death of baby Brookelyn Hopkins.
Garland pleaded guilty to manslaughter, admitting to causing the infant's death while playing.
"Two weeks ago, Mellissa Garland finally chose to account for what happened in her home," assistant Crown attorney Steve Guiler told the court.
Guiler said Garland “put Brookelyn in harm's way” by engaging "in what is best described as an airplane ride."
"For some reason, she chose to spin herself and Brookelyn around," Guiler said. "Brookelyn was launched from her hands. Brookelyn was propelled through the air at least six feet in distance.
"Her brain swelled so much it choked off oxygen and blood."
Defence lawyer Rhonda Fawcett confirmed Garland began to "swing Brookelyn around in her arms" in a 360-degree circle and hit her head on a wall or a desk.
Garland, who had been babysitting the five-month-old, previously told officials she accidentally dropped the infant down the stairs after being tripped by her cat.
In this original version, Garland took Brookelyn upstairs to change her diaper and "get her ready to return to her parents" after the baby awoke around 10 a.m.
"She lost her footing at the top of the stairs, with Brookelyn in her arms, (and) reached out to grab the railing," Guiler said of the original version of events.
Brookelyn fell down the stairs, hit her head on the landing, and continued to the bottom of the stairs.
At that point, the child was "softly whimpering but responsive."
Previously, Garland had ended her story there, saying she then bolted out the door with the child. Two volunteers then rushed the Brookelyn to Alexandra Hospital.
A coroner's investigative team could not make sense of her story and the severity of the child's injuries, prompting a second-degree murder charge.
"She is remorseful. She wants Brookelyn's parents to know the truth," Fawcett said. "She is remorseful she did not tell the police everything at the time."
Garland will be sentenced on Jan. 9, 2014.
heather.rivers@sunmedia.ca
Five-month-old Brookelyn Hopkins. (Family Handout)

Babysitter admits killing infant in game of airplane gone wrong | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun