The new 'math' in Manitoba is dying slowly

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Nope, Goober, the new math was introduced shortly after that embarrassing year 1957.

The NASA big heads were new mathites.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Nope, Goober, the new math was introduced shortly after that embarrassing year 1957.

I am referring to teaching math with pen and paper.
Like correcting spelling. Gonzo.
Heard a good one last night on CBC, Just for laughs

Parent to Teacher- Why do you not correct her spelling errors?

Teacher - We do not do that anymore.

Parent- Well what happens when they apply for a jib or want to go to Collage?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Perhaps the "new math" (Not at all new) which emphasizes understanding over rote pencil-and-paper algorithms is poorly understood and delivered by elementary reachers wo are generalists with little mathematical expertise themselves?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Perhaps the "new math" (Not at all new) which emphasizes understanding over rote pencil-and-paper algorithms is poorly understood and delivered by elementary reachers wo are generalists with little mathematical expertise themselves?

That is in fact a fact- they cannot. So they cannot teach.
Math is logical, how can people who cannot add 2 double digit numbers think?
Subtracting triple digits- not gonna happen
Multiply- forget that.
So is it important or not to be taught, that is the question.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
That is in fact a fact- they cannot. So they cannot teach.
Math is logical, how can people who cannot add 2 double digit numbers think?
Subtracting triple digits- not gonna happen
Multiply- forget that.
So is it important or not to be taught, that is the question.

Algoeithms should be taught. However, some of the methods we were taught do not necessarily promote mental arithmetic or estimation skills.
For instane, add 357 and 893 as we were taught; then, watch this video.
Left to Right Addition - 3 digit examples - YouTube

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The way "old math" was taught 98% of kids wondered why they took it, because they didn't see any relevant use. Half of the kids couldn't care less and fell asleep from boredom. In more recent years schools have done a far better job of linking skills to practical applications.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Algoeithms should be taught. However, some of the methods we were taught do not necessarily promote mental arithmetic or estimation skills.
For instane, add 357 and 893 as we were taught; then, watch this video.
Left to Right Addition - 3 digit examples - YouTube

That is truly a complicated way of doing things. One step our way becomes four steps this way. three more chances to make a mistake. I bet they could make simple division into an all day event.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
That is truly a complicated way of doing things. One step our way becomes four steps this way. three more chances to make a mistake. I bet they could make simple division into an all day event.

If you're adding 699 and 299, why not just add 700 and 300 and subtract 2?

Frankly, my kids go to public school, but we teach them a lot at home, at a pace and in a way that works best for them. School is more of a social indoctrination exercise where you learn to be punctual and follow instructions. Parents have to take responsibility.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If you're adding 699 and 299, why not just add 700 and 300 and subtract 2?

Frankly, my kids go to public school, but we teach them a lot at home, at a pace and in a way that works best for them. School is more of a social indoctrination exercise where you learn to be punctual and follow instructions. Parents have to take responsibility.

Taking responsibility? Isn't that rather like paying a mechanic but fixing your car yourself.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well, in the case of public education, I have to pay my mechanic wehather he fixes my car or not. :lol:

But don't forget, in the case of public education, we're all paying your mechanic not to fix your car. Makes me think that perhaps we should get a different mechanic.

Just to be clear, I have no problem whatsoever with paying my share towards educating youth in this nation. We all benefit from it, in theory. I do have a problem paying for something that we're not getting though.

So which math gives you 5 when you add 2+2?

That's called creative accounting and that's an advanced level course. ;)

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
But don't forget, in the case of public education, we're all paying your mechanic not to fix your car. Makes me think that perhaps we should get a different mechanic.

Just to be clear, I have no problem whatsoever with paying my share towards educating youth in this nation. We all benefit from it, in theory. I do have a problem paying for something that we're not getting though.

The main service education provides is indoctrination to turn kids into productive citizens. That's why kids who can't read graudate as long as they try hard and show up on time.

So which math gives you 5 when you add 2+2?

2 + 2 = 5 for large enough values of 2.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The main service education provides is indoctrination to turn kids into productive citizens. That's why kids who can't read graudate as long as they try hard and show up on time.

That isn't the point of education, at least it's not supposed to be. And I can't agree with accepting that as "well that's just how it is". We're paying to educate children, we should get educated children.