Richard Dawkins defends “mild pedophilia,”

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
says it does not cause “lasting harm”

The biologist and author described the sexual abuse that occurred among his former classmates as "mild touching up"

more

Richard Dawkins defends “mild pedophilia,” says it does not cause “lasting harm” - Salon.com

World's most irritating stopped clock gets it wrong

..."mild pedophilia" does no "lasting harm" says Richard Dawkins.

(Actually, in context, the quote isn't all that shocking. A bit creepy. But notice how popular this sort of thing is getting. I don't see how anyone could believe that there isn't a push to normalize paedophilia.)

‘Mild pedophilia’: Cockroach Richard Dawkins brazenly defends sexual abuse of children

‘Mild pedophilia’: Cockroach Richard Dawkins brazenly defends sexual abuse of children | Twitchy

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Richard Dawkins must have a new Book ready to launch. Either that or he has been ignored on the talk show circuit.
either that or he is trying to pay a LARGE -out of court settlement....or some other minor issue..

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'd have to flat out disagree with him on this one. Perhaps it did no lasting harm to him but he has no right to speak for others on that issue.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
(Actually, in context, the quote isn't all that shocking. A bit creepy. But notice how popular this sort of thing is getting. I don't see how anyone could believe that there isn't a push to normalize paedophilia.)

He was speaking of a time and place in which it was "normal." The trend fortunately is moving away from that. Everyone knew that this stuff went on in those schools and did little to nothing about it at the time. Now it is far from normal and people are no longer inclined to look the other way.

Errr. . . Dawkins has pretty much made a career out of speaking for others. Why stop now?

When has he done that? His work in biology and even his militant atheism has all been his own point of view. He has never claimed to be representing anyone.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
He was speaking of a time and place in which it was "normal." The trend fortunately is moving away from that. Everyone knew that this stuff went on in those schools and did little to nothing about it at the time. Now it is far from normal and people are no longer inclined to look the other way.

When has he done that? His work in biology and even his militant atheism has all been his own point of view. He has never claimed to be representing anyone.
When one declares something to be Da Troof, one is pretty much speaking for everyone. Even when one fig-leafs it with "for me" or "in my opinion" (as, I would note, Dawkins does in his defence of shirt-lifting).

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He's done what? Wrote a couple long winded books and has bunch of confused weirdos walking around with red A's pinned to their "Another day has gone by that I never used algebra t-shirts".

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
He's done what? Wrote a couple long winded books and has bunch of confused weirdos walking around with red A's pinned to their "Another day has gone by that I never used algebra t-shirts".

I'm not gonna call anybody who googles more hits than I do a "nobody."

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Richard Dawkins taught at Oxford. He is considered an intellectual by all who are competent to judge him. By "long winded" I assume you mean you don't understand his books. Dawkins is probably the easiest to read/understand scientific writer/speaker around today. Best to quote what he actually said as opposed to what someone else said he said.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
There is a push by the Left to normalise gay paedophilia in particular.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I generally assume that when starting a foundation for the furthering of a specific point of view, your views represent to a degree, the people who have linked themselves to your foundation. No?

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I don't think the tweeters read the actual artilce. My guess is that they got about 140 characters into it. People witht he attention span of a gnat are probably better off avoiding Dawkins and other thinkers. CNN is better suited for them.

Dawkins likes the controversey. He says these thigns deliberately to offend (which, though he doesn't seem to realize it, is why people call him an atheist fundamentalist--because he's in your face the same way the Godbotherers are).