Gaudeamus Janitor

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The Department of Labor tells us that only 20% or so of jobs require college degrees. We have 115,520 janitors in the United States with bachelor’s degrees or more. Why are we encouraging more kids to go to college?

Ach...turn on, tune in, drop out...man.

Gaudeamus Janitor | National Review Online

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Not sure.

At my sons HS graduation just about every kid was off to college as they announced their plans over the speakers when they got their diplomas. One kid was off to start his plumbing apprenticeship that summer. I thought to myself that he probably will do better than most off to college.

His friend chose a tech school over college. After one school year training he fixes vending machines for Coca-Cola for $56K a year.

Not bad at all.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Skilled labour is the future of jobs.

Kids getting out of college with a liberal arts degree or communications degree (etc) and $100K debt with no job are wondering WTF happened.

They think any kind of labor is beneath them. Any kind.

Skilled labour is the future of jobs.

Fixing coke machines for $56K. He's 19. Brilliant!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Kids getting out of college with a liberal arts degree or communications degree (etc) and $100K debt with no job are wondering WTF happened.

There are some degrees which aren't worth much.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

And he's secure. In Canada there are waiting lists to get into trade school.

I got mine at the perfect time when geosciences were transitioning from analog to digital. I rocketed up the ladder past the dinosaurs who were struggling to write an email.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I would imagine a significant concentration of those janitors are new immigrants. Here in North Van, half the cab drivers are engineers or doctors from Iraq or Iran.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
And he's secure. In Canada there are waiting lists to get into trade school.

No kidding? Is there a lack of trade schools or so many young Canadians are seeing the light? Meaning they realize that degrees aren't always going to guarantee a job.

By trade schools do you mean simply construction/mechanical trades like plumbers, electricians, HVAC etc?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My grandson is just starting his third year at UBC. I'm worried that he will end up with a BA but no job. I've been trying to talk him into switching to education.....They always seem to need teachers.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
My grandson is just starting his third year at UBC. I'm worried that he will end up with a BA but no job. I've been trying to talk him into switching to education.....They always seem to need teachers.

I remember when I was in university (back when dinasours roamed the earth) there were people who were about 10 years older than me working on their 3rd or 4th degree ... all BA type (French Studies and other ridiculous degrees). They fit in so nicely in the university culture that they never felt the need to leave (until mommy's & daddy's money runs out no doubt).

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I remember when I was in university (back when dinasours roamed the earth) there were people who were about 10 years older than me working on their 3rd or 4th degree ... all BA type (French Studies and other ridiculous degrees). They fit in so nicely in the university culture that they never felt the need to leave (until mommy's & daddy's money runs out no doubt).

And many MANY have never held a job... at all. Many are dumbfounded when they get out of college.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

Yet people still persist on accessing them and Universities still provide them i.e. Batchelor of Arts Degree - I have yet met a person working and who has this degree, have anything to do with Art!!!

Yet people still persist on accessing them and Universities still provide them i.e. Batchelor of Arts Degree - I have yet met a person working and who has this degree, have anything to do with Art!!!
LOL

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No kidding? Is there a lack of trade schools or so many young Canadians are seeing the light? Meaning they realize that degrees aren't always going to guarantee a job.

By trade schools do you mean simply construction/mechanical trades like plumbers, electricians, HVAC etc?
Technical too and there is no shortage of schools.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've invoked the "grand dad rule". If grand dad pays, grand dad picks the courses. Grandson will now take courses that lead to a job at the end of four or five years. Grand dad's popularity has slipped a bit but it will come back eventually.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Is that the "undecided" grandson with the lazy streak? I hope you picked something he'll enjoy.

My feeling is that the degree should be something that helps a career or helps find employment. He's not lazy. All he needed was some motivation. Philosophy is great but how many jobs are there in that field. He has professed an interest in teaching and that is likely where he will end up.