Why do Islamic women wear the Burka?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Why do Islamic Woman wear the Burka as its not mentioned in the Quran?

Its not a religious thing as its not specifically mentioned in the Quran
The only reason I can imagine it to be worn is to create trouble and miss-trust and separate yourself from the rest of society, Or that you have a...We are better than everyone else attitude you don't deserve to see our face and eyes, If I see someone wearing it the first thing that comes to my mind is be very suspicious of that person and why are they hiding and what do they have to hide?
I don't understand it because your not doing the nice decent people in your culture any favours by wearing it as you are all being tarred by the same brush because of it.
Its not a racist thing as I would be very suspicious of anyone who covers their eyes and face in public.
I do think it should be banned and hopefully then our societies can learn to live peacefully together without being so artificially segrigated.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It is to protect the woman from male eyes. Apparently, men are such pigs they can not be trusted around women who are not their personal property unless they are covered from head to toe.

In actuality it is a symbol of oppression much like chaining slaves.

teach them to love their burkas and they will stay in their place

don't get me going on this, it angers me just thinking about how they are treated

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It is to protect the woman from male eyes. Apparently, men are such pigs they can not be trusted around women who are not their personal property unless they are covered from head to toe.

don't get me going on this, it angers me just thinking about how they are treated

A few weeks ago a judge wouldn't let an Islamic woman enter a plea because she was wearing a Burka. His reasoning was that with her whole face covered, nobody could be sure who the hell she was. Sounds completely reasonable to mr.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Muslim women often wear clothes which cover themselves from head to toe. It's the best way to avoid rape in a culture in which there are so many sexually frustrated young men.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It is cultural and not religious at all. Some wear it to protect themselves
from men who in their society cannot control themselves because of a
self centered lack of willpower. It is time to tell Muslim men to grow up
and become part of society. Again women pay the price because these
men don't know how to behave. Then they disguise it as religion. Personally
I am sick of this stuff. I don't see a problem with the Japanese, Or the Chinese
or the Australians or Europeans or people from anywhere else.
Listen everyone would have a bit of time getting used to a different culture in a
new land and I believe in being tolerant. But when people come here and want
to change the laws to suit them I have a problem. When they use excuses for
customs call it religion I have a problem. I am sometimes p*ssed with the
fundamentalist Christians too but the Middle East they don't care about anyone
except themselves and its time we as in the rest of us said Enough

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
A few weeks ago a judge wouldn't let an Islamic woman enter a plea because she was wearing a Burka. His reasoning was that with her whole face covered, nobody could be sure who the hell she was. Sounds completely reasonable to mr.
In the country my girlfriend is from, they wear burkas. When a female walks down the street there are men with sticks standing around. If your burka is caught by the wind and lifts or if it is too short and your leg is exposed, they smash your ankles with the stick.

Also, they do not wear burkas in the home so under that burka they may be covering a pair of shorts with their *** cheeks hanging out... it's bizarre.

So the women are covered from head to toe but if she is raped, it's her fault and she is put to death.

The hotest week of the summer which was several weeks ago, it was so frigging hot and we passed a couple walking down the street. She's covered in a freaking black tent and buddy has his shirt stripped off and is sweating along...and there she was in that hot sun all smothered up...great little net for seeing out of too, ensures ya can't walk too fast in the 40° heat.

Fricking savage cultural standards, savage, misogynistic bastards.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
In the country my girlfriend is from, they wear burkas. When a female walks down the street there are men with sticks standing around. If your burka is caught by the wind and lifts or if it is too short and your leg is exposed, they smash your ankles with the stick.

Also, they do not wear burkas in the home so under that burka they may be covering a pair of shorts with their *** cheeks hanging out... it's bizarre.

So the women are covered from head to toe but if she is raped, it's her fault and she is put to death.

The hotest week of the summer which was several weeks ago, it was so frigging hot and we passed a couple walking down the street. She's covered in a freaking black tent and buddy has his shirt stripped off and is sweating along...and there she was in that hot sun all smothered up...great little net for seeing out of too, ensures ya can't walk too fast in the 40° heat.

Fricking savage cultural standards, savage, misogynistic bastards.

Friend of mine (a Marine) saw that happen. He dropped the "morality cop" with a single shot from his M-4.

His unit had to work very hard to cover it up. When he got back to the States, I bought him and his buddies drinks. Least they deserved.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Muslim women often wear clothes which cover themselves from head to toe. It's the best way to avoid rape in a culture in which there are so many sexually frustrated young men.

Really, I find that hard to believe. Rape is alive and well and flourishing in Muslim Countries. This garb is about oppression.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Friend of mine (a Marine) saw that happen. He dropped the "morality cop" with a single shot from his M-4.

His unit had to work very hard to cover it up. When he got back to the States, I bought him and his buddies drinks. Least they deserved.
Hoooooooooooly moly, 8O. Yeah that would be hard to get around.

It's a very different world over there. Women can't even access proper medical care because the women can't practice as doctors under Taliban rule and male doctors aren't supposed to see them undressed... it hideous. Women who speak out are killed.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

And here you are posting about it on a web forum.

We call friends like you Buddy F'ers.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Why do Islamic Woman wear the Burka as its not mentioned in the Quran?

Its not a religious thing as its not specifically mentioned in the Quran
The only reason I can imagine it to be worn is to create trouble and miss-trust and separate yourself from the rest of society, Or that you have a...We are better than everyone else attitude you don't deserve to see our face and eyes, If I see someone wearing it the first thing that comes to my mind is be very suspicious of that person and why are they hiding and what do they have to hide?
I don't understand it because your not doing the nice decent people in your culture any favours by wearing it as you are all being tarred by the same brush because of it.
Its not a racist thing as I would be very suspicious of anyone who covers their eyes and face in public.
I do think it should be banned and hopefully then our societies can learn to live peacefully together without being so artificially segrigated.

another glaring example of how age does not equal wisdom.

So, I guess that means western women were never oppressed since they have never had to wear a burka.

Yup, even judges can be morons. Especially since there were officers of the court and police that were willing to testify that she was who she said she was.

Doesn't surprise me at all that americans would cover up an american soldier committing murder and then congratulate him on it afterward.

It's a very different world over there. Women can't even access proper medical care because the women can't practice as doctors under Taliban rule and male doctors aren't supposed to see them undressed... it hideous. Women who speak out are killed.

and where exactly is this place you are talking about?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Doesn't surprise me at all that americans would cover up an american soldier committing murder and then congratulate him on it afterward.

Yep. Like it or not, gerryh, there are places in this world where the only justice you get comes from the barrel of a gun.

Don't like it, wish it was different. But as long as it's so, I'm glad there are guys who react forcefully, even violently, to men who beat women with steel bars.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Yep. Like it or not, gerryh, there are places in this world where the only justice you get comes from the barrel of a gun.

Don't like it, wish it was different. But as long as it's so, I'm glad there are guys who react forcefully, even violently, to men who beat women with steel bars.

GerryH likes to go 'on line moralistic'. Deterrence factors include 'corrective discipline".

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So, I guess that means western women were never oppressed since they have never had to wear a burka.
you guess?
are you pro Burka gerry?

and where exactly is this place you are talking about?
google is your friend...here's a few words to type in, women's health and taliban, I don't know, maybe Afghanistan

GerryH likes to go 'on line moralistic'. Deterrence factors include 'corrective discipline".
I'm thinking he is also pro burka and anti female

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Really, I find that hard to believe. Rape is alive and well and flourishing in Muslim Countries. This garb is about oppression.
Yeah. Check out Algeria, where women have generally been allowed to dress as they please, and there has been a trend of women donning hijab, or even the burqa, to avoid unwanted male "attention."

And here you are posting about it on a web forum.

We call friends like you Buddy F'ers.
You think this will lead to prosecution, considering there's no time mentioned, no place mentioned, and the only identifying reference is that it was a Marine?

I wish our military investigative services were as good as you give them credit for.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Barefoot in the winter.
Pregnant in the summer.
Burkas for in between times.
Allah Akbar, an all that.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
another glaring example of how age does not equal wisdom.
Yup, even judges can be morons. Especially since there were officers of the court and police that were willing to testify that she was who she said she was.
Not relevant- The Judge makes the ruling and that can be appealed. The Police and other Officers of the court are just that, Officers of the Court, not Judges.

Certain cultural practices are completely and utterly abhorrent.

The Burka is not a Religious based requirement but cultural.

If it was a Religious based requirement the SCoC would have made that clear in their recent ruling.
The ruling just muddled the issue.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Obviously you don't mind it at all. You congratulate the guy and buy him a beer for his good work.

you guess?
are you pro Burka gerry?

It would be up to the woman as to whether or not she wore it. I have read many instances where women have stated that they wear it by choice.

google is your friend...here's a few words to type in, women's health and taliban, I don't know, maybe Afghanistan

Really, Afghanistan, so I guess all the deaths over there since 9/11 have been for naught since you are saying the Taliban is still in charge.

I'm thinking he is also pro burka and anti female

If you were actually able to think, but obviously that is not one of your strong points. Unlike you and others on here, I don't find it to be my place to tell others how to dress.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Obviously you don't mind it at all. You congratulate the guy and buy him a beer for his good work.

It would be up to the woman as to whether or not she wore it. I have read many instances where women have stated that they wear it by choice.

Really, Afghanistan, so I guess all the deaths over there since 9/11 have been for naught since you are saying the Taliban is still in charge.

If you were actually able to think, but obviously that is not one of your strong points. Unlike you and others on here, I don't find it to be my place to tell others how to dress.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Gerry and his wisdom....you keep guessing and you are wrong as usual...but continue on