Stand Up Comic vs Air Force Colonel: Who’s the Real Joker?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Doesn't the United States Air Force have bigger threats to target than Mitch Fatel?

The latest stand up comedy “controversy” is one you probably haven’t heard about yet, unless you’re serving in the United States Air Force.

Earlier this month, veteran comic Mitch Fatel performed for the troops at RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk, England.

One audience member — Colonel Mark K. Ciero, 48th Fighter Wing Vice Commander — didn’t care for Fatel’s raunchy jokes.

According to Stars & Stripes, Ciero’s report on the show up at the Lakenheath website has “prompted Air Force officials to review procedures regarding entertainment provided to troops.”
The performance comes at a time when the U.S. military is reeling from a number of sex assault scandals that have prompted top military and civilian leadership to stress a zero-tolerance policy toward such incidents.
Indeed, although it’s tempting to wonder whether or not the sudden “increase” in sexual assaults is simply a rise in the number of reports filed, due perhaps to changes in the definition of “sexual assault” or any number of other factors.

Given recent history, we’re well advised to proceed with caution when dealing with such alleged sexual “epidemics.”

They often turn out to be fanciful “moral panics” that cause even greater harm to innocent individuals and to society as a whole.

the rest of the story

PJ Lifestyle » Stand Up Comic vs Air Force Colonel: Who’s the Real Joker?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
In Greenwood, NS, late 70's, the Base Commander closed all Messes for Easter. He was read the riot act by much higher.

tober

Time Out
Aug 6, 2013
Doesn't the United States Air Force have biggerthreats to target than Mitch Fatel?
The latest stand up comedy “controversy” is one you probably haven’theard about yet, unless you’re serving in the United States Air Force.

Earlier this month, veteran comic Mitch Fatelperformed for the troops at RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk, England.

One audience member — Colonel Mark K. Ciero, 48th Fighter Wing ViceCommander — didn’t care for Fatel’s raunchy jokes.

According to Stars & Stripes, Ciero’s report on theshow up at the Lakenheath website has “prompted Air Force officials to review procedures regarding entertainment provided to troops.”

PJ Lifestyle » Stand Up Comic vs Air Force Colonel: Who’s theReal Joker?

That comedian was bad? Herr Colonel is SO typically American conservative, obsessed with other peoples’ morality, women’s genitalia and breeding habits, and straining at the bit to jump into his high performance aircraft and kill a few Muslim families for Christ and the US Constitution. His lifelong ambition is probably to do with sitting beside George W. Bush on a Sunday morning in a Southern Baptist church, or matching IQ’s with Ronald Reagan.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That comedian was bad? Herr Colonel is SO typically American conservative, obsessed with other peoples’ morality, women’s genitalia and breeding habits, and straining at the bit to jump into his high performance aircraft and kill a few Muslim families for Christ and the US Constitution. His lifelong ambition is probably to do with sitting beside George W. Bush on a Sunday morning in a Southern Baptist church, or matching IQ’s with Ronald Reagan.

Wow, nice string of stereotypes, you syrup-sucking, toque-wearing, flannel-clad, beer-buzzed, hockey-obsessed Trailer Park Boy.

tober

Time Out
Aug 6, 2013
That comedian was bad? Herr Colonel is SO typically Americanconservative, obsessed with other peoples’ morality, women’s genitalia and breeding habits, and straining at the bit to jump into his high performance aircraft and kill a few Muslim families for Christ and the US Constitution. His lifelong ambition is probably to do with sitting beside George W. Bush on a Sunday morning in a Southern Baptist church, or matching IQ’s with Ronald Reagan.
Wow, nice string of stereotypes, you syrup-sucking, toque-wearing,flannel-clad, beer-buzzed, hockey-obsessed Trailer Park Boy.

Apologies. I thought I made it clear that my position was taken against a specific group and not Americans generally. Maybe I should have been more precise and spoken of "American extremists" and not "American conservatives"? There is a loud and distinctively recognizable rightist American ideology that consists of what I described. The colonel in the article sounds like the kind of individual who would be quite happy dropping napalm and willy peter on a third world wedding party.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Apologies. I thought I made it clear that my position was taken against a specific group and not Americans generally. Maybe I should have been more precise and spoken of "American extremists" and not "American conservatives"? There is a loud and distinctively recognizable rightist American ideology that consists of what I described. The colonel in the article sounds like the kind of individual who would be quite happy dropping napalm and willy peter on a third world wedding party.

This is what Colonel Ciero said. . .

"At the start of the routine, the comedian came close, but did not cross the line on being overly inappropriate, Ciero wrote.
But, then Fatel “insulted women’s anatomies, added a punch line about spiking drinks to facilitate sex, described repeatedly removing undergarments while whispering ‘she was asleep,’ ” Ciero wrote in his commentary. “Then in his coup de grace, demonstrated how to physically push a lady into oral sex and remove the evidence. The headliner hit the line obliquely, kept assaulting, and crossed headstrong.”

Given that the U.S. military has a problem with sexual assault that amounts to a crisis, how the hell do you know Ciero isn't a liberal who objected to someone making jokes about raping women?

There is nothing in the article to suggest that Colonel Ciero is a conservative of any stripe. You are an anti-military bigot.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Maybe Tober thinks joking about sexual assault on women is something to laugh at?

The colonel in the article sounds like the kind of individual who would be quite happy dropping napalm and willy peter on a third world wedding party.

No you're right T-Bones... he's just a bigot

tober

Time Out
Aug 6, 2013
There is nothing in the article to suggest that Colonel Ciero is a conservative of any stripe. You are an anti-military bigot.

I am a Canadian veteran. Just goes to show how wrong you can be when you personally attack total strangers. I have not personally attacked you and do not intend to. As for describing what I feel to be the colonel's ideology, that is fair comment, IMO.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
[/FONT]
This is what Colonel Ciero said. . .

"At the start of the routine, the comedian came close, but did not cross the line on being overly inappropriate, Ciero wrote.
But, then Fatel “insulted women’s anatomies, added a punch line about spiking drinks to facilitate sex, described repeatedly removing undergarments while whispering ‘she was asleep,’ ” Ciero wrote in his commentary. “Then in his coup de grace, demonstrated how to physically push a lady into oral sex and remove the evidence. The headliner hit the line obliquely, kept assaulting, and crossed headstrong.”

Given that the U.S. military has a problem with sexual assault that amounts to a crisis, how the hell do you know Ciero isn't a liberal who objected to someone making jokes about raping women?

I call " monkey fight'" section for that , Gentlemen

tober

Time Out
Aug 6, 2013
Maybe Tober thinks joking about sexual assault onwomen is something to laugh at?
No you're right T-Bones... he's just a bigot

Another personal, name-calling attack? Wow, it seems Americans are really arrived and have brought their national anger with them. Thank God that Canada is so much more peaceful than America.

Displaying a US Marine Corp icon on a Canadian web site and claiming that Canadians favour assaults on women sounds distinctly illogical. The massacre at My Lai, the Americal Division whose Tiger Force collected Vietnamese ears, the punitive attack on Fallujah where snipers killed every man, woman and child who moved, airborne Spooky indiscriminately spraying urban Baghdad at night with mini-guns, these are the images of woman and children being killed that define the US military. If today’s US forces had fought on the side of Germany in WW2 they would have been tried as war criminals alongside the SS. The image of the Canadian Forces, of which I am a veteran, is a world removed from the US image and reputation.

I watched the video that is under discussion and don't recall any overt references to rape. In any event it is sexual humour so what does a person expect? I have heard it said that humour by definition refers to things that evoke humiliation, degradation and pain. To attend a comedian's show and become offended that he told off-colour jokes sounds naïve. Over-all I chuckled at some of the humour and shrugged off the rest. As for the personal criticism, it is nothing more than Internet hyperbole, IMO.

Cheers.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I call " monkey fight'" section for that , Gentlemen

What's with the continual steel cage/monkey fighting antagonism dude? It's their business, let them sort it out sans peanut gallery eh.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
What's with the continual steel cage/monkey fighting antagonism dude? It's their business, let them sort it out sans peanut gallery eh.

a soft answer turneth away wrath, saith Scripture. A diverted personal battle keepeth the otherwise good folk form grudges lasting year, saith the book of the Mishnah.

a resolved personal dispute keepeth all things civil, saith the commentaries of Akiva..:lol:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
a soft answer turneth away wrath, saith Scripture. A diverted personal battle keepeth the otherwise good folk form grudges lasting year, saith the book of the Mishnah.

a resolved personal dispute keepeth all things civil, saith the commentaries of Akiva..:lol:

Thou wanteth a fight sayeth Locutus. Thou wisheth two parties to skirmish sayeth He. Troll softer suggesteth the One, lest thou receiveth thine demerits.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Buddy is too slow talking for me and I did not find him funny. Amusing maybe but I'd have found it hard to listen to much more. Dude's a yawn.

As for the colonel, sounds like he is actually sensitive to the problems women have faced in the army with their fear to report and nightmare procedures when they did.

Six of one, half a dozen of another...

tober

Time Out
Aug 6, 2013

If you are addressing me, I didn't post to any individual to start with and have attacked nobody since then. The "continual" isn't me. Neither is antagonism.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
If you are addressing me, I didn't post to any individual to start with and have attacked nobody since then. The "continual" isn't me. Neither is antagonism.
he wasn't...no worries