1 in 3 Young U.S. Women Uses 'Withdrawal' for Birth Control

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
But new study confirms that it's not good for preventing pregnancy

TUESDAY, Aug. 6 (HealthDay News) -- Withdrawal is an old-fashioned, unreliable form of birth control, but one-third of young women still use it anyway, new research indicates.

"Our study showed that use of withdrawal for contraception is very common, but it doesn't work as well as other methods," said study author Dr. Annie Dude, a resident in the department of obstetrics and gynecology at Duke University Medical Center, in Durham, N.C.

Dude and her colleagues analyzed 2006-2008 data from a national survey of U.S. women, focusing on 2,220 participants between the ages of 15 and 24. Their aim was to see how commonplace it was for young, sexually active women to use withdrawal as a way to avoid pregnancy.

dude

1 in 3 Young U.S. Women Uses 'Withdrawal' for Birth Control - US News and World Report

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
from the article:
She said the research shows that health care providers who care for sexually active young women need to recognize that one reason couples may use withdrawal as a method of birth control is that they haven't planned ahead, and that providers need to take the time to discuss more effective birth control methods with their patients.

or parents need to get out of their state of denial that their kids are likely to have sex and speak to their kids about birth control methods, planning ahead and making intelligent choices

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
But new study confirms that it's not good for preventing pregnancy

TUESDAY, Aug. 6 (HealthDay News) -- Withdrawal is an old-fashioned, unreliable form of birth control, but one-third of young women still use it anyway, new research indicates.

"Our study showed that use of withdrawal for contraception is very common, but it doesn't work as well as other methods," said study author Dr. Annie Dude, a resident in the department of obstetrics and gynecology at Duke University Medical Center, in Durham, N.C.

Dude and her colleagues analyzed 2006-2008 data from a national survey of U.S. women, focusing on 2,220 participants between the ages of 15 and 24. Their aim was to see how commonplace it was for young, sexually active women to use withdrawal as a way to avoid pregnancy.

dude

1 in 3 Young U.S. Women Uses 'Withdrawal' for Birth Control - US News and World Report
lol That "new" research is just backing up other research on the same topic except for the statistics part. Previous research shows that withdrawal is unreliable and has shown that for decades. On the "new" part, statistics, damn that's high. And excuse me, but women don't withdraw, men withdraw. It's a physiological phenomenon, ya know. Fortunately, wifey's never told me to get the f out. :D (We use a different couple of methods).

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
lol That "new" research is just backing up other research on the same topic except for the statistics part. Previous research shows that withdrawal is unreliable and has shown that for decades. On the "new" part, statistics, damn that's high. And excuse me, but women don't withdraw, men withdraw. It's a physiological phenomenon, ya know. Fortunately, wifey's never told me to get the f out. :D (We use a different couple of methods).
I know I thought that as well, once again the onus is upon the woman..."the woman uses withdrawl" who knows what the guy uses apparently they don't study them

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
doesn't matter, as abortion is an acceptable form of birth control in todays society.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
from the article:

or parents need to get out of their state of denial that their kids are likely to have sex and speak to their kids about birth control methods, planning ahead and making intelligent choices
Yep. Edimication is kinda handy.

doesn't matter, as abortion is an acceptable form of birth control in todays society.
hhmm Thought I heard a whine somewhere.