The Ugliest Truth About War

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Excerpt From Marine's Speech Proves Little Has Changed In 80 Years - Business Insider

Marine Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler would be 132 years old today, were he still alive.

Here's an excerpt of the generals book.

War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses.

I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else. If a nation comes over here to fight, then we'll fight. The trouble with America is that when the dollar only earns 6 percent over here, then it gets restless and goes overseas to get 100 percent. Then the flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag.

I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

There isn't a trick in the racketeering bag that the military gang is blind to. It has its "finger men" to point out enemies, its "muscle men" to destroy enemies, its "brain men" to plan war preparations, and a "Big Boss" Super-Nationalistic-Capitalism.

It may seem odd for me, a military man to adopt such a comparison. Truthfulness compels me to. I spent thirty- three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle- man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.

I suspected I was just part of a racket at the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all the members of the military profession, I never had a thought of my own until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service.

I helped make Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912 (where have I heard that name before?). I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested.

During those years, I had, as the boys in the back room would say, a swell racket. Looking back on it, I feel that I could have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.

Read more: Excerpt From Marine's Speech Proves Little Has Changed In 80 Years - Business Insider

If only everyone could read and understand this.
I feel sadness every time I see someone with a support the troops sticker.
I'm all for supporting troops that are defending the home land.

But when its to support our corporations greedy aspirations, it makes me sick to the stomach.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
"Death has a tendency to encourage a depressing view of war." - Donald Rumsfeld

"We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat." –on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction - Rumsfeld

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." - George W. Bush

"I think I was unprepared for war." – GW Bush, on the biggest regret of his presidency, Dec. 1, 2008

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
"He was twice awarded the Medal of Honor, for his heroism during several combat tours in Central America. He took part in World War I, the Banana Wars, and the Boxer rebellion in China.
Consequently he became quite the anti-war activist in his older age."

With old age he finally clued in on what was really happening.
And like me it made him sick to his stomach.

"It may seem odd for me, a military man to adopt such a comparison. Truthfulness compels me to. I spent thirty- three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle- man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.

I suspected I was just part of a racket at the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all the members of the military profession, I never had a thought of my own until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service.

I helped make Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912 (where have I heard that name before?). I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested."

Corporate greed using patriotism to serve its own interests. All the mean while honest good people dieing thinking they where fighting for something good, liberty etc.... How easily fooled we are.

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
"He was twice awarded the Medal of Honor, for his heroism during several combat tours in Central America. He took part in World War I, the Banana Wars, and the Boxer rebellion in China.
Consequently he became quite the anti-war activist in his older age."

With old age he finally clued in on what was really happening.
And like me it made him sick to his stomach.
To think it is all the bankers, well I will leave it at that.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
To think it is all the bankers, well I will leave it at that.

So why do I see so many support the troops stickers on cars?
Where sending people to die for corporate profits and bankers,
Putting up a goody goody spin in our media, and everyone is eating it up?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
So why do I see so many support the troops stickers on cars?
Where sending people to die for corporate profits and bankers,
Putting up a goody goody spin in our media, and everyone is eating it up?

No no no no.... you have it all wrong...it is all about protecting us all from the scrouge of the earth.... right now that happens to be muslim fanatics.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I just knew gerryh should have put that in purple for the sarcastically impaired.

I know he's being sarcastic. ,! ;-)

But I couldn't miss out on the opera unity to call him Don Cherry :lol:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
General Smedley's words remain true to this day:

The Disturbing Expansion of the Military-Industrial Complex | Common Dreams | Breaking News & Views for the Progressive Community

The whole of civilisation is now facing a challenge with the growth of what President Dwight Eisenhower (1953-1961) warned the U.S. people against – the military/industrial complex – saying that it would destroy U.S. democracy.

We know now that a small group made up of the military/industrial/media/corporate/academic elite, whose agenda is profit, arms, war and valuable resources, now holds power worldwide and has a stronghold on elected governments ... We have witnessed this in ongoing wars, invasions, occupations and proxy wars, all allegedly in the name of “humanitarian intervention and democracy”. However, in reality, they are causing great suffering, especially to the poor, through their policies of arms, war, domination and control of other countries and their resources.

Unmaking this agenda of war and demanding the implementation of justice, human rights and international law is the work of the peace movement.

We can turn our current path of destruction around by spelling out a clear vision of what kind of a world we want to live in, demanding an end to the military-industrial complex, and insisting that our governments adopt policies of peace, just economics and cooperation with each other in this multi-polar world.

more ...

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The fact is there is mad men running about the Middle East killing people with abandon.
they are also training young people from other countries including ours to go home and
hopefully rise up to continue the struggle. Knowing that and doing nothing is not an option.
In addition Muslims in and of themselves are not the problem. The problem is radical
Muslims who are not following their religion in the mainstream. It is true that there is a
serious of religious edicts that allow for slavery in Islam. Read Thy Bible Jesus said himself
Slaves obey your Masters.
This is language of another time and a different vent in history and by world society standards
is unacceptable. Perhaps it is time to rewrite the Holy Books. Outrageous no its been done
a number of times Many read the King James version everyday as such its a rewrite.
Books are books and we can rewrite Snow White we can rewrite anything hell they even want
to change the image os Santa can you imagine? Santa is a pipe smoking fat guy who eats
cookies and the animals eat vegetables let not get carried away here.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The real ugly truth is once a soldier dies from each side nobody wins and it gets
worse from there however when madmen are allowed to run wild on the stage
internationally the next ugly truth emerges. They become embolden and decide they
can conquer the world and a larger war is fought where a smaller conflict could have
contained it

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
American intervention creates enemies and danger

BRUCE FEIN: American Empire heightens dangers - Washington Times

All empires are alike.

They are all begotten from the DNA of the species that craves power for the sake of power — an evil that has persisted unchanged since Adam and Eve.

The United States has predictably followed the model of its Roman precursor. First we fought in self-defense against the British. Then we fought in defense of allies in World War I. Then we invented allies to defend, for example, Vietnam, Kuwait or Somalia. And then we began to fight for the sake of fighting unable to define victory over international terrorism or otherwise beyond U.S. Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart’s memorable definition of obscenity, “I know it when I see it.”

Like its predecessors, the American Empire refuses to entertain the idea that our endless, gratuitous foreign interventions have created enemies that would not otherwise have attacked us. Upton Sinclair explained the fierce resistance to the truth: “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

Trillions of dollars of wealth, great power and social status lie behind our military-industrial-terrorism (MIT) complex. It thrives on perpetual war and concocted fears of danger and existential threats. Since the Americana Empire took hold after World War II, none have dared to insinuate that our chronic, objectless, military interventions in the Middle East in support of brutal, corrupt, oppressive regimes have provoked retaliation by the oppressed. We have provided material assistance to state’s featuring repression, torture and extrajudicial killings, for example, the Shah of Iran, the House of Saud in Saudi Arabia or Egypt’s President Hosni Mubarak. Two fatwas issued by Osama bin Laden before 9/11 protested the presence of our troops in Saudi Arabia near the Muslim holy cities of Mecca and Medina, not our freedom of speech or religion, elections, due process, or gender equality.

Think of the analogy of a bayonet and a hornet’s nest. The nest will not harm you if you leave it undisturbed. But if you smash it to bits with a bayonet, the hornets within will sting you.

The United States would be vastly freer, wealthier, and safer if we withdrew all our troops from the Middle East for redeployment at home to protect our borders, our shores, and our skies. Israel commands more than enough power to fend for itself. With vastly less military might in 1948, Israel handily defeated Egypt, Iraq, Syria and Palestinian Arabs combined. And we should cease selling arms or providing non-humanitarian aid of any type to the region.

Our warfare state, nursed and fueled by the military-industrial-terrorism (MIT) complex, is the great destroyer of liberty. Its malignant children have been the surveillance state, national bankruptcy, secret government, and the evisceration of constitutional checks and balances.

Abraham Lincoln said it best in 1838 as we began our descent into Empire riding the militant wave of Manifest Destiny:
“At what point shall we expect the approach of danger? By what means shall we fortify against it? — Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant, to step the Ocean, and crush us at a blow? Never! — All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest; with a Buonaparte for a commander, could not by force, take a drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the Blue Ridge, in a trial of a thousand years. … If [danger] ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.”

author:

CONSERVATIVE Bruce Fein:

Bruce Fein served as associate deputy attorney general and general counsel of the Federal Communications Commission under President Reagan. He is now a partner in the firm Fein & DelValle, PLLC. Mr. Fein is also the author of "American Empire Before the Fall and Constitutional Peril: The Life and Death Struggle for Our Constitution and Democracy." You can contact him at Brucefeinlaw.