Nestlé chairman says water is not a human right

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Nestlé chairman says water is not a human right

Nestlé-Konzernchef Peter Brabeck: "Zugang zu Wasser sollte kein öffentliches Recht sein." - YouTube

In a candid interview for the documentary We Feed the World, Nestlé Chairman Peter Brabeck makes the astonishing claim that water isn’t a human right. He attacks the idea that nature is good, and says it is a great achievement that humans are now able to resist nature’s dominance. He attacks organic agriculture and says genetic modification is better.

Nestlé is the world’s biggest bottler of water. Brabeck claims – correctly – that water is the most important raw material in the world. However he then goes on to say that privatisation is the best way to ensure fair distribution. He claims that the idea that water is a human right comes from “extremist” NGOs. Water is a foodstuff like any other, and should have a market value.

He believes that the ultimate social responsibility of any Chairman is to make as much profit as possible, so that people will have jobs.

And just to underline what a lovely man he is, he also thinks we should all be working longer and harder.

Consequences of water privatisation

The consequences of water privatisation have been devastating on poor communities around the world. In South Africa, where the municipal workers’ union SAMWU fought a long battle against privatisation, there has been substantial research (pdf) about the effects. Water privatisation lead to a massive cholera outbreak in Durban in the year 2000.

The Nestlé boycott

Nestlé already has a very bad reputation among activists. There has been a boycott call since 1977. This is due to Nestlé’s aggressive lobbying to get women to stop breastfeeding – which is free and healthy – and use infant formula (sold by Nestlé) instead. Nestlé has lobbied governments to tell their health departments to promote formula. In poor countries, this has resulted in the deaths of babies, as women have mixed formula with contaminated water instead of breastfeeding.

Tell Nestlé they are wrong – water is a human right

There is Europe-wide campaign to tell the European Commission that water is a human right, and to ask them to enact legislation to ensure this is protected.

If you live in Europe, please sign the petition.

Original article published by Union Solidarity International.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Well, if one considers water not to be a human right, then it follows that air, food, anything on and off-planet the planet isn't either, including making profits. So does he have the right to make money and be a CEO or even get into business?
Privatising water? Yeeeeaahh right. B Bunny- "Ah, whatta maroon."
Meh. Just another clown with a mouth and some stupid ideas and no understanding of science.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Even though the average human is mostly composed of water. We might be surprised even shocked at the source of bottled water some day very soon. The intentions are inescapable, the purpose undeniable, the privatization of human life. Of course there are many who will not believe the writing on the wall even as their faces are being shoved into it. Nestlé Chairman Peter Brabeck certainly is not an average human if indeed he is human at all. Don't be fooled by his appearance, the meaty parts don't make a rabid thieving animal human.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
He is right about one thing, though..... nature is not good. It isn't bad either .... or any other such human attribute. It just is.
Just wondering what gives the jackass the right to life, considering he seems to want to live in society and benefit from it.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
We are not here to dominate nature we are here to manage nature therefore
he is an idiot. I have stayed away from their products for a long time and I am
not a special interest or pressure group person.
The good thing about this kind of revelation is that we get to see and hear these
corporated devils in their own element. Its not about the environment they do
anything either its to gain consumer favoritism. Remember they once called the
environmentalists nut cases and sometimes criminals or communists or God
knows what else. Now they are trying to kiss kiss their fannies go figure

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Think about the Dune books, just like that screech global warming finally dries up the planet yer worth yer weight in H2O and not a drop more.

five hundred ML of yourine will get you a loaf of bread

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The ‘Wild West’ of groundwater: Billion-dollar Nestlé extracting B.C.’s drinking water for free

The price of a litre of bottled water in B.C. is often higher than a litre of gasoline.

However, the price paid by the world’s largest bottled water company for taking 265 million litres of fresh water every year from a well in the Fraser Valley — not a cent.

Because of B.C.’s lack of groundwater regulation, Nestlé Waters Canada — a division of the multi-billion-dollar Switzerland-based Nestlé Group, the world’s largest food company — is not required to measure, report, or pay a penny for the millions of litres of water it draws from Hope and then sells across Western Canada.

According to the provincial Ministry of Environment, “B.C. is the only jurisdiction in Canada that doesn’t regulate groundwater use.”

B.C. 'DOES NOT LICENSE ... OR CHARGE'

more

The ‘Wild West’ of groundwater: Billion-dollar Nestlé extracting B.C.’s drinking water for free

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Interesting that Christy Clark isn't whining about getting 'fairshare' or royalties from the company on this like she wanted from an oil pipeline.

(btw - too little, too late on the pipeline Christy - the line is heading East now)

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Is he kidding? Who is this assh***? I believe in free enterprise but his is absolutely insane as he must be!!!

JMHO

Is he kidding? Who is this assh***? I believe in free enterprise but his is absolutely insane as he must be!!!

JMHO

Oh, and btw, who works a 35 hour week? I sure don't (I wish).....

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Air is not a human right, I am going to bottle it and sell it...any takers

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
meh, my bottled water went by the way side when I lost my big job and began to cut back, after a week I wondered why I had ever bought it to begin with