Researchers implant false memories into mice’s brain

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Researchers implant false memories into mice’s brain

A team of neuroscientists in the United States after controlling memory function in the mice's brains has successfully implanted false memories into them.

The study carried out by the researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) was done by applying a technique called optogenetics.

The technique that enabled scientists to control memory function in the animal’s brain, allows cells to be selectively turned on or off using light, according to study published in the journal Science.

At the early steps of the experiments, the mice’s DNA was altered to include a light-sensitive protein that activates when the animal form new memories, researchers clarified.

They were then able to control the mice's memory function in the hippocampus area of the brain by exposing them to flashes of light (optogenetics).

In next step, researchers became able to plant faulty memories in the brains of mice, as the animals were placed in a chamber where they received a mild electrical shock, causing them to form negative memories about the room.

They also discovered that many of the neurological traces of the planted memories are identical in nature in comparing to those of authentic ones.

"Humans are highly imaginative animals. Just like our mice, an aversive or appetitive event could be associated with a past experience one may happen to have in mind at that moment, hence a false memory is formed," said the senior author of the paper Susumu Tonegawa, professor of Biology and Neuroscience at MIT,

Many of neuroscientists believe that recent findings shed light on how false memories form in human brains, and could one day be used to treat psychological problems such as post-traumatic stress disorder and schizophrenia.

source: PressTV - Researchers implant false memories into mice?s brain

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I wonder if this could be used for Altimeters patients... I could see it being used in a Total Recall setting.. in a 3D Virtual aspect in the future.

I also wonder if they can upload data, like law books or languages.. who needs school, just upload your education.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I wonder if this could be used for Altimeters patients... I could see it being used in a Total Recall setting.. in a 3D Virtual aspect in the future.

I also wonder if they can upload data, like law books or languages.. who needs school, just upload your education.

I know nothing about the brains of mice - are they somehow comparable to humans? If not, then I think we need a bit more research before we start lining up human subjects..................although after reading a few of the current topics, I do have a couple of candidates in mind.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Altimeters patients? Wut? Did I miss some news about an attack from altitude measuring devices? Those rotten meters. I better keep an eye on dashboard meters, clocks, and weather station meters, then. It might be a meter wide conspiracy.

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
Aah, [/I]I remember well that week nonstop boinking the three top Miss Universe candidates.

That memory cost me $999.99 + tax.

Worth every penny 😃

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Aah, [/I]I remember well that week nonstop boinking the three top Miss Universe candidates.

That memory cost me $999.99 + tax.

Worth every penny ��

They could sell memories like that or they could sell memories of you being able to do amazing things. Karate 3rd degree black belt. If you have the memories of being a pro, your body should be able to follow suit as long as you are some what physically fit.

You could plant memories of scientific brilliance, mathematical computations, etc. School curriculum could be shortened and then the warehousing of people would become more apparent.

If they can plant false memories, maybe they could also plant memories of empathetic responses and we could do away with psychopaths. It could also help rehabilitate people faster. Of course, then prison sentence lengths would be seen as strictly punishment and for the benefit of the victims of crime, rather then for the rehabilitation of the perpetrator.

This could turn our entire society on it's head. We'd have to re-evaluate just what our society values as moral and good. Interesting times ahead.