Study finds marijuana use among teens may cause permanent brain durrrrrrrrr

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
From Fark

Regular marijuana use during adolescence, but not adulthood, may permanently impair the brain and increase the risk for certain psychiatric diseases such as schizophrenia, according to an article published in the journal Neuropsychopharmacology.

"Over the past 20 years, there has been a major controversy about the long-term effects of marijuana, with some evidence that use in adolescence could be damaging," senior author Asaf Keller said in a press statement. "Previous research has shown that children who started using marijuana before the age of 16 are at greater risk of permanent cognitive deficits, and have a significantly higher incidence of psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia.

"There likely is a genetic susceptibility, and then you add marijuana during adolescence and it becomes the trigger," he said.

dude, where's my more

Marijuana use among teens may cause permanent brain damage, study finds | NJ.com

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Well they should switch to a better strain than the Mexican weed which is loaded with chemicals sprayed on by Uncle Sham and his eradication roadshow ensemble. I suggest Morrocan which is grown in 100% organic goat turds. Any brain damage is more likely caused by their favourite breakfast cereal anyway and or their vidiot educators.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
From Fark

Regular marijuana use during adolescence, but not adulthood, may permanently impair the brain and increase the risk for certain psychiatric diseases such as schizophrenia, according to an article published in the journal Neuropsychopharmacology.

"Over the past 20 years, there has been a major controversy about the long-term effects of marijuana, with some evidence that use in adolescence could be damaging," senior author Asaf Keller said in a press statement. "Previous research has shown that children who started using marijuana before the age of 16 are at greater risk of permanent cognitive deficits, and have a significantly higher incidence of psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia.

"There likely is a genetic susceptibility, and then you add marijuana during adolescence and it becomes the trigger," he said.

dude, where's my more

Marijuana use among teens may cause permanent brain damage, study finds | NJ.com

There's nothing new there, that was established years ago. For confirmation just check with one of the principles at the Archie Courtnall Mental facility in Victoria. A substantial percentage of the patients in there are there just from that very cause! Even if you doubt the validity, why would a person take that risk?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well they should switch to a better strain than the Mexican weed which is loaded with chemicals sprayed on by Uncle Sham and his eradication roadshow ensemble. I suggest Morrocan which is grown in 100% organic goat turds. Any brain damage is more likely caused by their favourite breakfast cereal anyway and or their vidiot educators.

the chemicals of the pot itself are the culprits according to studies I've read. The sticky nature of the chemicals in human fat and brain tissue, impact poorly on brain growth.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Has anyone ever seriously argued in favour of teens smoking marijuana?
No, why argue it? They have fairly easy access to alcohol, why would anybody get their panties in a knot over pot smoking? They already have access to pot too and no amount of arguing or laws is going to curtail them.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Has anyone ever seriously argued in favour of teens smoking marijuana?

I worked with lots of pot smokers back in the '60s and '70s, believe me there is nothing to favour about it- much reduced mobility and even less ambition. We were in camp jobs in those days and then after doing F**k all all day, at bedtime they'd decide to crank their "music" up to 400 decibels.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I worked with lots of pot smokers back in the '60s and '70s, believe me there is nothing to favour about it- much reduced mobility and even less ambition. We were in camp jobs in those days and then after doing F**k all all day, at bedtime they'd decide to crank their "music" up to 400 decibels.
If you would have smoked with them you might have appreciated where they were coming from. :p

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
No, why argue it? They have fairly easy access to alcohol, why would anybody get their panties in a knot over pot smoking? They already have access to pot too and no amount of arguing or laws is going to curtail them.

telling them they can't might not, but showing the why they shouldn't might.

When there's a rule to fight, they will. When the choice and their health is in their hands, you'd be surprised how often they'll make the right choice.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you would have smoked with them you might have appreciated where they were coming from. :p

I doubt it, for one thing, none of us would probably have a job and second I don't think I've have appreciated being an "invalid". These guys were definitely handicapped. I could get roaring drunk and run rings around these guys in the morning-:)

telling them they can't might not, but showing the why they shouldn't might.

Don't bet your first born!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Don't bet your first born!

I literally have to. My children will be able to get their hands on pot easier than I can. They will have plenty of opportunity to try it, despite laws against their consumption of it. I have to put faith in the fact that when I've sat them down and explained the studies like this one, and told them that drug use should wait until they are fully formed, intelligent adults who can make their own decisions, that my words actually stuck.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I literally have to. My children will be able to get their hands on pot easier than I can. They will have plenty of opportunity to try it, despite laws against their consumption of it. I have to put faith in the fact that when I've sat them down and explained the studies like this one, and told them that drug use should wait until they are fully formed, intelligent adults who can make their own decisions, that my words actually stuck.

I hear you, been there done that, hopefully all our admonishions did delay them a couple of days or weeks. I'm not sure (as is anyone else) that it causes permanent damage to all users, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't enhance anybody. But then neither does booze!

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

What I meant was what was the point of the study if everyone already knew the results?

I didnt touch the stuff at all in high school because I found potheads annoying and didnt want to become one. I did eventually cave at 19. Did it a couple times and wasnt impressed. Its been years since the last time and I have no interest in doing it again. Though if others want to - go right ahead. Doesnt bother me at all.

I worked with lots of pot smokers back in the '60s and '70s, believe me there is nothing to favour about it- much reduced mobility and even less ambition.

Good. Less competition for the good jobs.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Calling reefer a narcotic so they could put people in jail longer was a brilliant move.What pisses me off is all the morons that believe that pot IS a narcotic.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
In a perfect world people wouldn't feel the need to mind-alter at all, be it pot, booze or any other substance ingested purely for that purpose, but given my first hand experience with the damage alcohol can do I'd have to go on record as saying that pot is the lesser evil.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
In a perfect world people wouldn't feel the need to mind-alter at all, be it pot, booze or any other substance ingested purely for that purpose, but given my first hand experience with the damage alcohol can do I'd have to go on record as saying that pot is the lesser evil.
And yet every single society we are aware of has found a way to alter its perceptions with natural or artificial chemicals.

Maybe a stoned world is a perfect world.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
For me it all goes to the motivations behind an action. "Why ?" I can see a few "legitimate" reasons behind some forms of mind-altering, but at the same time I can see a plethora of bad reasons, chiefly "bad" in an unhealthy context.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I heard Carlos Santana say something similar in an interview, something like "In the '60s, we were taking drugs to expand our minds. These days, people take drugs to get stupid."

He may have a point. Certainly there's no shortage of stupid, natural or chemically-induced.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I heard Carlos Santana say something similar in an interview, something like "In the '60s, we were taking drugs to expand our minds. These days, people take drugs to get stupid."

He may have a point. Certainly there's no shortage of stupid, natural or chemically-induced.
Almost, if not all, aboriginal tribes in the world used naturally occurring drugs for mid expansion, but did so in a ceremonial context, never for recreational purposes. This is where the problem has come up. These plants are meant for medicinal or mind expansion purposes. It is the abuse of drugs that causes the problems. When used properly, psychotropic substances can be very beneficial. According to Terrence Mckenna human evolution was enhanced by these substances, why we seem to have evolved so quickly.

Terence Mckenna on human evolution and the imagination - YouTube