So You Want to be King/Queen...

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Seeing as I already have some royal blood, albeit rather thin and of the Welsh kind, I claim the crown of Kanada. It is time to get rid of the inbred British monarchy. If we must have a crown, it should belong to Kanadain inbreds, but we must start somewhere, so I volunteer.

Welsh? Well, you certainly have better claim than the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha clan. Britain hasn't had a British monarch since James II.

Talk about "immigrants coming here and stealing our jobs!"

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Seems to me that the method used to choose a country's Head of State ought to represent this country's value system. Equality of sex and equality of religion are core values of most Canadians but this is not adequately portrayed by our adherence to British monarchy. There is a definite clash between our values and the monarchical system and while changing it might not be a priority (because there are so many other pressing concerns), to me this state of affairs can only represent a lack of maturity for Canada as a whole. I'll be a much prouder Canadian the day we manage to update our system into something that is in tune with our core values of equality.

Of course the sexist component of monarchy has now been scrapped but that was a decision taken by the British, not Canadians. With the current system, we simply follow the trends of a foreign country. Again... lack of maturity as a country.

(Long live King Cliffy!!!)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Equality of sex and equality of religion are core values of most Canadians

Are they? I have seen some people who undoubtedly consider themselves good Canadians advocate discrimination against Muslims on this website.

What is a "core value?" How widely must it be shared to be a "core value?" Does it need to be enshrined in the Charter or other fundamental documents to be a "core value?"

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Are they? I have seen some people who undoubtedly consider themselves good Canadians advocate discrimination against Muslims on this website.

What is a "core value?" How widely must it be shared to be a "core value?" Does it need to be enshrined in the Charter or other fundamental documents to be a "core value?"

Well section 15 of our Charter of Rights and Freedoms states that

Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

A core value is a principle one holds dearly. It has ramifications in most decisions we take in life. As a nation, we have laws and principles that in theory, represent the core values of the majority.

I think if it's part of a document as fundamental as the Charter of Rights it ought to be considered a core value of the country. That doesn't mean all citizens agree with it! Just look at the conflicts raised by language in Quebec!

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

A core value is a principle one holds dearly. It has ramifications in most decisions we take in life. As a nation, we have laws and principles that in theory, represent the core values of the majority.

I think if its part of a document as fundamental as the Charter of Rights it ought to be considered a core value of the country. That doesn't mean all citizens agree with it! Just look at the conflicts raised by language in Quebec!

That was quite helpful. Thank you.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Seeing as I already have some royal blood, albeit rather thin and of the Welsh kind, I claim the crown of Kanada. It is time to get rid of the inbred British monarchy. If we must have a crown, it should belong to Kanadain inbreds, but we must start somewhere, so I volunteer.

Where will you be setting up H.Q? I suppose if it was to be in Nakusp, you might be able to get some roadwork done, the entire section from Playmor Jct. through to Revelstoke could sure use it. -:)

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
So far, there is no dissenting voice on Cliff's ascension to the throne. He definitely qualifies; as an artist, he certainly would out draw Chuck the Pretender when it comes to the loyalty of us Canucks. Oh yes, and thank the gods, he is not pregnant. Because he is not Muslim, the fear-the-kerchief crowd should have no objections.
A pleasant plus is that Cliffy has blood royal as do we all! I, myself, am related to the King of Spades.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I have the blood of English kings....also pretty damn thin. I suspect if everyone did their genealogy we would all find we are related to royalty of one sort or another. Good ole King Ethelred the somethingth.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Britain hasn't had a British monarch since James II.

Britain has never had a monarch of any nationality. The British monarch cannot carry a passport so the British monarch, for all intents and purposes. has no nationality.

However, if the Queen were to carry a passport she'd carry a British one. She was born in London.

Foreigners like to call her "German", even though she was born in Mayfair and had a Scottish mother.

James II, by the way, was Scottish more than anything else. He was a Stuart monarch.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Seems to me that the method used to choose a country's Head of State ought to represent this country's value system. Equality of sex and equality of religion are core values of most Canadians but this is not adequately portrayed by our adherence to British monarchy. There is a definite clash between our values and the monarchical system and while changing it might not be a priority (because there are so many other pressing concerns), to me this state of affairs can only represent a lack of maturity for Canada as a whole. I'll be a much prouder Canadian the day we manage to update our system into something that is in tune with our core values of equality.

Of course the sexist component of monarchy has now been scrapped but that was a decision taken by the British, not Canadians. With the current system, we simply follow the trends of a foreign country. Again... lack of maturity as a country.

(Long live King Cliffy!!!)

You have a very rose-coloured picture of Canadian values. If you read Eve Haque's book (Home :: Browse by subject :: Political Science :: Canadian Politics :: Political Culture ::) you'll see that 'Canadian values' are not as progressive as you think.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Of course the sexist component of monarchy has now been scrapped but that was a decision taken by the British, not Canadians.

That's not true.

The new legislation could only have become law only if ALL the sixteen nations of which Elizabeth II is Sovereign agreed to it, including Canada.

To say that Canada had no say in the matter is bonkers. Remember, she isn't only the monarch of Britain.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I think if it's part of a document as fundamental as the Charter of Rights it ought to be considered a core value of the country. That doesn't mean all citizens agree with it! Just look at the conflicts raised by language in Quebec!

Sounds beautiful, eh. As per the link above, in the 1960s the government had to shift its rhetoric as per international and other pressures. For the most part, the rhetoric changed significantly, but in reality consider the defense of the separate school system and special privileges for the 'two founding races' in the language provisions of the constitution.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I have the blood of English kings....also pretty damn thin. I suspect if everyone did their genealogy we would all find we are related to royalty of one sort or another. Good ole King Ethelred the somethingth.

King Æthelred the Unready, who was King of England twice, from 978 to 1013 and from 1014 to 1016.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Where will you be setting up H.Q? I suppose if it was to be in Nakusp, you might be able to get some roadwork done, the entire section from Playmor Jct. through to Revelstoke could sure use it. -:)
You haven't been over here in a while, have you? Road work was done about two years ago. This is motorcycle heaven as attested by over 100 thousand bikes coming to Nakusp annually.

My mother was a directly descendent of Llywellyn, the last true prince of Wales. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llywelyn_the_Last .
She inherited his castle. I got diddly, just like Llywellyn. My conciliation is the he became a pirate and wreaked havoc on the the British merchant marines. If I become King, I vow to continue that tradition.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
That's not true.

The new legislation could only have become law only if ALL the sixteen nations of which Elizabeth II is Sovereign agreed to it, including Canada.

To say that Canada had no say in the matter is bonkers. Remember, she isn't only the monarch of Britain.

So what you're saying is that unless the British and all other Commonwealth nations agree to a change Canada wants, we are powerless to change the system... unless we opt out of it completely... I'd wish for my country to have more independence in the way it chooses its Head of State.

And face it, the end of male primogeniture has just passed recently when it should have occurred at least 50 years ago.

You have a very rose-coloured picture of Canadian values. If you read Eve Haque's book (Home :: Browse by subject :: Political Science :: Canadian Politics :: Political Culture ::) you'll see that 'Canadian values' are not as progressive as you think.

All I'm saying is that a coherent and mature country ought to act according to its official documents (charters, constitutions etc).

In the case of Canada, our charter of rights states that equality of sex and religion is to be taken for granted. Yet, up to a few days ago, our monarchical system was guilty of discriminating according to both sex and religion. And from what I understand, Catholics still aren't allowed to the throne.

That's incoherent and pretty hypocritical on the part of Canada as a whole if you ask me... I don't see how that is a rose-coloured picture of Canadian values.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
So what you're saying is that unless the British and all other Commonwealth nations agree to a change Canada wants, we are powerless to change the system

No. Just Canada and the other 15 nations which have Elizabeth II as their Head of State.