The 'great Kate wait' continues with royal baby expected any day now

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

With the birth of the royal baby now rumoured to be two days overdue, royal watchers and the media are focused on a private wing of St. Mary’s Hospital in London for any signs of the Duchess of Cambridge.

While Buckingham Palace has not confirmed the official due date for the royal baby, it was widely rumoured to be this past Saturday.

CTV’s Melanie Nagy told Canada AM that the British press are keeping a look out for where the expectant Kate Middleton might be, after unofficial reports that she moved to her parent’s country estate to escape the uncomfortably hot weather in London.

“As for where she is today, that’s the big guessing game,” Nagy said from London.

Media camped in the area surrounding the hospital have dubbed their vigil the “great Kate wait.”

“We wait for word of where she is and wait for her to arrive here at the hospital,” Nagy said Monday.

Nagy added that, while the media have been keeping watch outside the private Lindo wing of St. Mary’s for approximately two weeks, tourists are now also starting to flock to the hospital for a glimpse of the birthplace of the future heir.

The child, Prince William’s and the Duchess’ first, will be third-in-line to the throne.

Accompanying the anticipation of the royal birth are the requisite royal memorabilia and souvenirs, Nagy said, adding that the sale of royal-baby themed souvenirs has “really picked up speed” in the last week.

Royal-baby themed items for sale include onesies, soothers and special biscuits in a royal-baby biscuit tin -- retailing for £40.

On Sunday, Prince William took a break from the baby-waiting game and participated in a charity polo match with his brother Prince Harry.

British bookmakers say most people were betting the royal baby would be born this week -- Sunday, Monday or Tuesday.

The birth will be announced on a bulletin posted on an easel outside Buckingham Palace. It will also be announced on Twitter.

Read more: The 'great Kate wait' continues with royal baby expected any day now | CTV News

--------------

BTW, it's going to be a girl no questions..

Her name Diana.. ;)

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
So you aren't even curious? I assume when the event happens we will hear about it for days on end, maybe in fact it will replace the Zimmerman/Martin story in the news. Well I can dream can't I?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I can't wait. The Daily Mail said a few weeks ago that the future monarch was due on 13th July so, if true, the baby is already late. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, hinted a few days ago that the baby should arrive by the end of the week. It puts a whole new meaning to the Duchess of Cambridge's nickname: Waity Katie.

I can't wait, though.

The Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital is also where Prince William himself was born on 21st June 1982.

At the moment, that live footage is great if you want to watch out for any eccentric characters walking past. There are a couple of young girls having their photos taken their right now.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I just wish that baby would hurry , I am so sick of there being only one news item now for months. I need a break from Zimmerman/Martin!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I just wish that baby would hurry , I am so sick of there being only one news item now for months. I need a break from Zimmerman/Martin!

And I need a break from news about the new third runway at Heathrow, or Lynton Crosby's links with the Conservative Party.

The Queen is also desperate for the baby to arrive because, as she told a ten-year-old girl in the Lake District, she's going on holiday soon.

Wiggonby Church of England Primary School pupil Fay Batey asked if the Queen wanted the royal baby to be a boy or a girl.

The Queen replied: "I don't think I mind. I would very much like it to arrive. I'm going on holiday."

BBC News - Queen would like royal baby born before her holiday

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A lot of hoopla about an everyday occurrence.

Same as for the news cycle for most items, it's stale and overdone.

A future monarch being born is hardly an everyday occurence in Britain.

I think they should broadcast the entire labour and birth live on BBC.

There was a documentary not too long ago on Channel 4 called "One Born Every Minute" showing women giving birth. It wasn't live though.

We tried to export it to Germany but the Germans just didn't want it. They said that giving birth should not be shown on German TV.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
OH yes, after that lots of guys that never want to have sex again, and lots of women going WTF!! 8O

Be kinda interesting to see how they do it when it's a Highness gettin' squeezed out. Do they have the Archbishop of Canterbury present to oversee the proceedings? With a choir, maybe? Ermine robes? The High Lord Chancellor of Sillybuggery to ordain and certify that the Royal Larva did indeed, as required by the Statute of Icky Bits of 1348, emerge squalling from the Most Excellent, Puissant, High and Mighty Vag*na?

Does the afterbirth get a duchy?

Enquiring minds want to know!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
i'm looking forward to the birth, it is exciting, and a positive story, and a first child for
a very nice couple.
Put yourselves in their shoes, their first child, the anticipation, the nervousness, everything
we all went thru, or will go thru, I remember it well.

I remember walking toward the hospital when my first daughter was on her way into the world, and
I was more scared of being in the hospital, what they would do to me, needles, knives, etc.
much more than actually giving birth.

So many of the stories in the headlines are very negative and become very boring, and are beaten to
death for weeks on end, well this baby will be big news, and will grow and change very quickly, very
interesting to keep tabs on, at least for me, (not much different than puppies) lol.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
i'm looking forward to the birth, it is exciting, and a positive story, and a first child for
a very nice couple.
Put yourselves in their shoes, their first child, the anticipation, the nervousness, everything
we all went thru, or will go thru, I remember it well.

I remember walking toward the hospital when my first daughter was on her way into the world, and
I was more scared of being in the hospital, what they would do to me, needles, knives, etc.
much more than actually giving birth.

So many of the stories in the headlines are very negative and become very boring, and are beaten to
death for weeks on end, well this baby will be big news, and will grow and change very quickly, very
interesting to keep tabs on, at least for me, (not much different than puppies) lol.

There's no reason to reduce this story to just a nice couple having a baby. People have babies all the time. It's not newsworthy. You know why this baby is getting media attention. We all do. We don't need to pretend it's something else.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

With the birth of the royal baby now rumoured to be two days overdue, royal watchers and the media are focused on a private wing of St. Mary’s Hospital in London for any signs of the Duchess of Cambridge.Read more: The 'great Kate wait' continues with royal baby expected any day now | CTV News

fascinating Some British royalty is gonna have a kid.

"Celebrity is news. Everything else is entertainment". - McLuhan

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
Remember, he/she will also be the future Monarch of Canada.

I'm aware of that connection. Not excited by it but aware of it.

The monarchy is a bit of window dressing that has less and less relevance as time goes by.

Twenty years of King Charles will cool the enthusiasm of many lukewarm Canadian royalists. As for those awed by celebrity, they will always be around.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
There's no reason to reduce this story to just a nice couple having a baby. People have babies all the time. It's not newsworthy. You know why this baby is getting media attention. We all do. We don't need to pretend it's something else.

while many like to be grumpy becausethis is getting all the press, and of course I know why, i'm not stupid.
I'm just reminding everyone, that for the mom and dad tobe, it is what I explained, and nothing more,
they think like any other parents tobe, it is the media who are the sickheads, and all of those who
trash and hate the royals.
After all is said and done, they are not any different than any of us, just two young people awaiting
the birth of their first child.

I don't care about newsworthy, I pay no attention to media, I pity them, and the job they do, I think
for myself, not thru them.
I did not reduce the story, the media do that, I see it exactly as it is.