Oww!! Ouch!!ga-dam!!eeeeeeeeee!!!

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Yesterday afternoon, my dear one asked me to pull the vines which were encroaching on our deck.

She (against my advice) planted them a few years ago.

I told her they would become Kudzu-like and cover everything.

Do they listen ? Ever ?

So, since I love her, I started yanking vines - until I got to the bench (I built for her)

There were some vines under the bench, and the Yellowjackets which had made a home there, objected - strongly.

Those damn things HURT........Not only that, the stings started to SWELL !! Leg. Arm. Ankle. and etc. (literally a pain in the as s...........bout 10 or so.

After she quit laughing at me doing the frug across the back lawn, she gave me a couple of anti-swelly-bugbite-reaction-stuff, eh; and a few hours later, the swelling is gone.............the only thing hurt was me pride..............Can't frug like I usta.

She was worried about the number of stings (do they die after they sting you?) - and kept asking me if I could breathe ok. Once a nurse, always a nurse -----remain emotionally detached whilst giving all possible aid.

WHO THE HELL'S DOING ALL THE YELLING ?? CORSE I CAN ??

After dark the hive got paid a visit from the Raid can. This shlt really works. All the sleepy little yellow bastards falling dead on the deck..............Damn, it was better than Christmas.

Then, the stir stick to completely decimate their abode.

Ah yes, revenge is sweet

...........just sayin

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
A most compelling tale of struggle against a malevolent foe! The Evil That Lives Under the Bench, it is a metaphor for life. I laughed, I cried, I drank my coffee.

:D

P.S. Sorry you got the boo-boos.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
A most compelling tale of struggle against a malevolent foe! The Evil That Lives Under the Bench, it is a metaphor for life. I laughed, I cried, I drank my coffee.

:D

P.S. Sorry you got the boo-boos.

Glad you enjoyed the coffee..........the boo-boos is gone.

I was actually thinkin, better me, who is non allergic, than my grandkids stumbling onto them. One of the wee ones is allergic and bad things could happen.

Aside from being spider and bird food, is there any logical reason for Yellowjackets ???

Never thought of the metaphor.............Thanks..........I'll use it.

"The Evil Under the Bench".............muh-ha-ha-argh.ha.

Good name for a TV series..............well, not quite as up there as "The Walking Dead", but, yanno.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
thanks for the laugh, :glasses1: sorry for the stingy thingies, :-( I did picture you running hell bent for leather...:lol:

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I'm sorry to report that I don't think Wasps die when they sting you, they live on to sting another day.

Betcha that really hurt.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That was funny Nuggler....only because it reminded me of myself years ago. In those days I was going to school and we always had two cars parked out front....One car was clapped out and the other was soon to be clapped out but still workable. The old Dodge was finally beyond help. I opened the trunk to see if we had left anything useful before the junkyard towed the car away. As soon as I opened the trunk, a cloud of Yellow Jackets swarmed out and I got stung a half dozen times. My wife thought it was funny to see me running down the street in front of a bunch of hornets. The damned things had built a nest in the old car.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm sorry to report that I don't think Wasps die when they sting you, they live on to sting another day.

Betcha that really hurt.
Not only that, but they can sting multiple times. They don't stick anything in you, it is more like a strong acid that burns your skin. One nailed me on the back of my neck once and I swiped it off, accidentally dragging it toward my throat. It left about a 3 inch long welt on the side of my neck.

I rolled over in the night last spring and onto a hornet. Bugger nailed on the back of my neck. I had nothing in the house and was desperately trying to find something to stop the pain when I found a clove of garlic. So I cut a thin slice off and stuck it on the wound. Within seconds the pain was gone. I held it on there for a few more minutes and in the morning there was no sign of a bite.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I found a clove of garlic. So I cut a thin slice off and stuck it on the wound. Within seconds the pain was gone. I held it on there for a few more minutes and in the morning there was no sign of a bite.
And not even your best friend would come near you? ;-)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
So, Nugs, didja get the kudzu vines? Or did the wasps put you off the project? You can't just leave a thriller hanging without an ending. jeeez

Anyway, yellowjackets actually do have stingers and don't just spit acid on your skin.

And it's correct that they can sting multiple times. They are not bees.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
that is one facking torturous looking device... it makes my skin burn just lookin' at it

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
So, Nugs, didja get the kudzu vines? Or did the wasps put you off the project? You can't just leave a thriller hanging without an ending. jeeez

Anyway, yellowjackets actually do have stingers and don't just spit acid on your skin.

Wow! That is one nasty looking weapon. They must be able to spew a continuous flow of poison to have left a welt 3 inches long.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Sorry, my bad !

Finished pulling the vines this morning. Putting the bench back. Can of Raid is back on the shelf where kids can't reach it.
It was a THRILLER !!...?? Me and Stevie King are going down in history.

He as a writer. Me as a frug teacher.

My wife looked at me this morning; she sipping her tea, me slurping the decaff. She started to laugh. Brits are famous for their dry sense of humour ?

Those are nasty looking stingers. I feel violated.8O

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Yesterday afternoon, my dear one asked me to pull the vines which were encroaching on our deck.

She (against my advice) planted them a few years ago.

I told her they would become Kudzu-like and cover everything.

Do they listen ? Ever ?

So, since I love her, I started yanking vines - until I got to the bench (I built for her)

There were some vines under the bench, and the Yellowjackets which had made a home there, objected - strongly.

Those damn things HURT........Not only that, the stings started to SWELL !! Leg. Arm. Ankle. and etc. (literally a pain in the as s...........bout 10 or so.

After she quit laughing at me doing the frug across the back lawn, she gave me a couple of anti-swelly-bugbite-reaction-stuff, eh; and a few hours later, the swelling is gone.............the only thing hurt was me pride..............Can't frug like I usta.

She was worried about the number of stings (do they die after they sting you?) - and kept asking me if I could breathe ok. Once a nurse, always a nurse -----remain emotionally detached whilst giving all possible aid.

WHO THE HELL'S DOING ALL THE YELLING ?? CORSE I CAN ??

After dark the hive got paid a visit from the Raid can. This shlt really works. All the sleepy little yellow bastards falling dead on the deck..............Damn, it was better than Christmas.

Then, the stir stick to completely decimate their abode.

Ah yes, revenge is sweet

...........just sayin

I used the same exact stuff on a Yellowjacket nest that they had just started the day before. Get 'em at night when they're dormant, and they all croak nice and easy! The nest this year was in the exact same spot that the old nest that I turfed was in! Weird!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I used the same exact stuff on a Yellowjacket nest that they had just started the day before. Get 'em at night when they're dormant, and they all croak nice and easy! The nest this year was in the exact same spot that the old nest that I turfed was in! Weird!

Maybe they're stalking you.

8O

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Y'know, Nug, most Canadian man-against-nature stories involve really big critters like grizzlies and wolves and mooses (meese? mice? whatever). It's usually the South American stories that involve unstoppable hordes of little teeny guys, like piranhas and army ants.

You need to level up, cowboy.

Nice job with the Raid can, though. Revenge is sweet.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
They{hornets} will use pieces of the old nest to rebuild the new one.
My hornet story by R Duke
My x wife gave me a tent trailer,one of the cables had broken and the top couldn't be lowered,it had no less than three yellow jacket nests.I had a golf club.
I towed the thing home,about ten miles,in it's half lowered state,thinking that,after smashing the nests,the wind would thake care of the rest of the hornets.Wrong !
By the time I got the trailer dismantled I'd been stung ten times.It hurts more now than when I was a kid throwing rocks at nests for fun.
Whoda thunk wha?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Apparently the little boogers like the smell of stinky feet - mine in this case. A few days ago, without looking - why should I? - I started to put on my sandals which I keep in my porch - suddenly I felt a needle like sting on one of my toes. I looked down and sure 'nough there was a wasp. By the time I was able to free my poor footie, it had hit a couple more times. My toe swelled to twice its size and my leg began to tingle. I took an antihistamine as I have had problems with stings in the past. Could hardly walk and was in so much pain it brought tears to my eyes. Limped for the rest of the day and had to keep my foot above the bed-covers that night. Ouch indeed.

I had a prior encounter years ago with wasps while I was staking a claim in the Grand Forks area. I accidentally stepped on a nest and they got me in the bum and upper legs multiple times. I was out of commission for a couple of days after that incident.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
hehe Wife found a golfball-sized hornet nest on the far side of the deck railing and just hammered at it with her nozzle adjusted to "jet". It eventually disintegrated after spewing a dozen or so larvae all over the ground. She said, "birdfood" and continued on her way. Didn't get stung once (she's weird that way), but if she gets stung by a bee, she feels bad for the little beast (also weird that way). She loves honey.
Stings don't bother me so I don't mind if I get stung although tiny critters wandering around on me tickles, and that's annoying. I like it if I get stung on my left hand, too, as it seems to get rid of a small ache the doc said was minor arthritis. Works for about 3 years. I also like yellowjackets. Seem to be about as harmless as bees and they eat annoying things like moths and gnats and deerflies.