Happy Aboriginal Day!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
We had ours yesterday to coincide with solstice at the schools. No buffalo here though. We are the only school district in BC where every student is involved in aboriginal studies. We dedicated 80 hand drums yesterday made by the students at a workshop a few weeks ago.

All other districts remove the aboriginal kids to separate rooms fro aboriginal studies. Rumour has it that other districts are planning to follow our lead. I'm proud to have been part of the process for setting up our curriculum to include all students. Every other district is promoting segregation and bigotry.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Salmon burgers have too many bones.

Here is a cool bison in full charge pic that I took last week.

All kids here participate in Aboriginal studies. They have for a long long time. Even in my day.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Salmon burgers have too many bones.

Here is a cool bison in full charge pic that I took last week.

All kids here participate in Aboriginal studies. They have for a long long time. Even in my day.

So, for a long, long, time, eh.......long, long.;-)................Drumbeating 101 ?

Your plains bison looks like he's about to fall over...............But then I ain't never seen one in the flesh, and know squat bout them.

Sorry if I appear nonplussed bout the aboriginal studies thing. Ont. just gave the Algonquins about 2/3 of our crown land, with the tacit understanding that no waterways would be blocked or access to hunt camps be shut off.

Of course all that is "subject to further discussion" I call bullshlt . The tsunami won't fully hit for 10 years or so, and I won't probably be around then. Good thing.

Last edited:

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
It is only fair that a Province returns land to their Aboriginal peoples. After all, the "White" folks stole it from them originally, so all they are doing is returning stolen stuff.

Too bad they are not doing the same thing for the Metis. I'd love to have our family farm back.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'll cook up some bannock and elk tonight in honour, but I'm not going out in this rain for anything but to pick my kids up from school if they get shut down due to the flooding.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
It is only fair that a Province returns land to their Aboriginal peoples. After all, the "White" folks stole it from them originally, so all they are doing is returning stolen stuff.

Too bad they are not doing the same thing for the Metis. I'd love to have our family farm back.

I'd like to have the old Highland croft back too, but can't see it happening anytime soon.

Sorry, but I'm on the whiteyes' side. I've nothing against someone acquiring land as long as they work and pay for it. Crown land is exactly that, and should be retained by the Crown.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I know it's not a popular view, but, I'd prefer to see as much land returned as possible, the treaties rewritten, and the segregation system scrapped.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Yes, well, you also have treaties with your aboriginal people. BC has very few. We are a little backward here.

Good on BC. Ontario should be so backward.

I know it's not a popular view, but, I'd prefer to see as much land returned as possible, the treaties rewritten, and the segregation system scrapped.

So, you will sign my petition to the Queen to have all land stolen from the Scots, returned ? Fair's fair, eh.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
We had ours yesterday to coincide with solstice at the schools. No buffalo here though. We are the only school district in BC where every student is involved in aboriginal studies. We dedicated 80 hand drums yesterday made by the students at a workshop a few weeks ago.

All other districts remove the aboriginal kids to separate rooms fro aboriginal studies. Rumour has it that other districts are planning to follow our lead. I'm proud to have been part of the process for setting up our curriculum to include all students. Every other district is promoting segregation and bigotry.

BS. When my son was in elementary school in Pt. Hardy they taught the local dialect to all the students. That was mid 80s.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Stole? Really?

I'll cook up some bannock and elk tonight in honour, but I'm not going out in this rain for anything but to pick my kids up from school if they get shut down due to the flooding.
Yum. Ever do up Indian tacos?

So, you will sign my petition to the Queen to have all land stolen from the Scots, returned ? Fair's fair, eh.
I'll sign your's if you sign mine against the Bolsheviks.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Good on BC. Ontario should be so backward.

I'm sure the Scots can deal with their own issues. I'll stick to issues that effect my family.

Yum. Ever do up Indian tacos?

No. I have done bannock burgers though. I love playing around with food. Last night we had what we lightheartedly called 'lebaroni and mushroom pizza' (mainly because I can never remember the name of the Lebanese sausage I like so much.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The secret to good bannock is the baking powder, it has to be Blue Ribbon or it's just not right.

The sausage that tastes like Donair meat?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The secret to good bannock is the baking powder, it has to be Blue Ribbon or it's just not right.

The sausage that tastes like Donair meat?

A bit like donair meat yeah. Just a little bit more clove and nutmeg to it than donair. Kind of halfway between donair meat and my grandma's tortiere.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Give the tacos a try sometime. I'm going to have my fill today when I walk down to the park to watch my friend's kid do his hoop dance.

I'll post some pics when I get back.