I am looking for a good house design package

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Moron? you want to design a house but don't know the name of the software to do so?

I'm glad I'm not your neighbour. I wouldn't want your expert addition landing in my yard during a windstorm.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I made the mistake of giving him an intelligent response once...whew...

What I need is a basic design package to prepare drawings for zoning evaluation. Theres lots of programs advertised- but I can't find an evaluation site.
How do you think he got to 35,000 posts in five years....by being the "expert:lol: " in everything:roll:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I made the mistake of giving him an intelligent response once...whew...

What I need is a basic design package to prepare drawings for zoning evaluation. Theres lots of programs advertised- but I can't find an evaluation site.

honestly, we use 'paint' to draw up our plans for permit applications. Take a photo of what you're attaching to or changing, draw your proposed plans complete with dimensions, material specifications, etc. right over top of the photo. Cheap, easy, and we've never been turned down for a permit.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
honestly, we use 'paint' to draw up our plans for permit applications. Take a photo of what you're attaching to or changing, draw your proposed plans complete with dimensions, material specifications, etc. right over top of the photo. Cheap, easy, and we've never been turned down for a permit.

That is good advice.I used paint years ago to pepare logos. the Cad - cam programs I looked at were overkill for what I needed to do.

thanks Karrie.

any other sugestions?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That is good advice.I used paint years ago to pepare logos. the Cad - cam programs I looked at were overkill for what I needed to do.

thanks Karrie.

any other sugestions?

Without knowing what kind of project specifically you're doing, it's hard to give advice. Basically, just keep it simple, need to know stuff. Your permit office doesn't care if it's fancy, they care if it's safe and right.

Oh, and if you're actually looking for inspiration on how to plan finishing details, check out houzz.com

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Without knowing what kind of project specifically you're doing, it's hard to give advice. Basically, just keep it simple, need to know stuff. Your permit office doesn't care if it's fancy, they care if it's safe and right.

Good point. I've been able to obtain some 40 lb crane rail, and would like to incoprperate it into a lakefront cabin design for foundation strength and ice resistance.

How do you think he got to 35,000 posts in five years....by being the "expert:lol: " in everything:roll:

Has anyone ever found his 'off' switch? He's taken to sending me mail...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Good point. I've been able to obtain some 40 lb crane rail, and would like to incoprperate it into a lakefront cabin design for foundation strength and ice resistance.

With your drawings, include the engineering specifications for said material, as it's not a normal 'building material' that they will have data on hand for I'm assuming.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
With your drawings, include the engineering specifications for said material, as it's not a normal 'building material' that they will have data on hand for I'm assuming.
good point!

The AAR actually preps detailed specs for all crane and track rails, and has them on line. Its a cheap material when salvaged, as industrila rail is manufactored some pretty exacting strength specs.