Another US shooting....stand up to the gun manufacturers who pull NRA strings!

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
Another shooting in the US.......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/05/12/new-orleans-mothers-day-shooting.html

While I realise that guns dont kill people...people kill people, when are the everyday americans going to stand up to the gun manufacturers and their "puppet" the NRA and insist on further gun safety? Mandatory background checks WILL NOT take away your 2nd ammendment rights!!!

Think about it....when this amendment was written these individuals had Muskets in their homes. If a nutcase was to have gone to see the equivelent of a movie back then (a play), the nutcase would only have been able to get one shot off! Far less victims back then, but now many, many victims and they dont seem to get heard by the politicians who are being lobbied by the NRA. Instead of the Americans worrying about the government coming into their houses and taking their guns, they need to be more worried that the lobby groups such as the NRA etc are ALREADY stealing the American democracy from right under the noses of the american people.

On a side note...I use the word "democracy" lightly, as why is the US the ONLY democratic country in the world that doesnt recognise that if you get 1 more vote then a Bill passes???? Who came up with the Philibuster garbage????

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Say hello to my little friend....

The USA is a nation that glamorizes guns and violence.. from the wild west cowboy movies to modern day gangster movies. The US gun cultural will never change.. so suck it up princess, and oh yeah you better buy a gun for protection if you plan on living south of the 49th parallel. ;)

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/05/12/new-orleans-mothers-day-shooting.html

While I realise that guns dont kill people...people kill people, when are the everyday americans going to stand up to the gun manufacturers and their "puppet" the NRA and insist on further gun safety? Mandatory background checks WILL NOT take away your 2nd ammendment rights!!!

Think about it....when this amendment was written these individuals had Muskets in their homes. If a nutcase was to have gone to see the equivelent of a movie back then (a play), the nutcase would only have been able to get one shot off! Far less victims back then, but now many, many victims and they dont seem to get heard by the politicians who are being lobbied by the NRA. Instead of the Americans worrying about the government coming into their houses and taking their guns, they need to be more worried that the lobby groups such as the NRA etc are ALREADY stealing the American democracy from right under the noses of the american people.

On a side note...I use the word "democracy" lightly, as why is the US the ONLY democratic country in the world that doesnt recognise that if you get 1 more vote then a Bill passes???? Who came up with the Philibuster garbage????
It's in the constitution.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Many here in Australia are just simply baffled by it all, much like those in Canada.... though people in Canada would understand it all a bit better due to living next door and having less restrictive gun laws than Australia.

Still, many I talk to here, whom used to frequent the US with vacations, etc. are all second guessing their plans in the future and think going to Mexico would be safer.

I of course correct them and suggest Cuba, explaining all the murdered Canadians and such in Mexico, plus the big drug war thing, etc.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

While you're using the word "democracy" lightly, how is the prorogation of Parliament democratic?

Also, while you claim the U.S. is not much of a democracy, you are calling for something that a large majority of Americans have already rejected.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

From the top:

If the Bill of Rights applies only to the technology of the 18th century, then the right to free speech does not apply to electronic media or material printed on anything other than the most rudimentary presses, and the right to assemble peacefully applies only if you walk there or travel on horseback.

That, obviously, is a Pandora's box you do not really want to open.

The National; Rifle Association is the country's oldest civil rights group. It defends the clearly stated right to keep and bear arms, and has done much good in US society. It trains police and security, it is deeply involved in safety training, it has an award-winning safety program for children, and it has enhanced American freedom. It was even involved in the struggle for Black civil rights in the 50s and early 60s, chartering gun clubs for Blacks in the south, enabling them to arm and defend themselves. Read Negroes with Guns by Robert Williams.

The current US media attempt to villify and destroy the NRA is outrageous. It is roughly the equivalent of attacks on the NAACP in the early 60s. The NRA is NOT the pawn of gun manufacturers, and is NOT their paid lobbyist. The NRA gets LESS than 4% of its budget from company donations. Instead the NRA is the pawn of its membership, which has recently hit a record of over 5 million members.

As for background checks, they failed for two reasons:

- the legislators failed to convince the people that there would never be a backdoor registration system set up.

- the legislators refused to vote on the bill as a whole (which would have passed on a 50% + 1 vote) as they did not like the add-ons, which included a mandatory recognition country wide of state issued CCW.

The anti-gun Senators poisoned the bill themselves.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
From the top:

If the Bill of Rights applies only to the technology of the 18th century, then the right to free speech does not apply to electronic media or material printed on anything other than the most rudimentary presses, and the right to assemble peacefully applies only if you walk there or travel on horseback.

That, obviously, is a Pandora's box you do not really want to open.

The National; Rifle Association is the country's oldest civil rights group. It defends the clearly stated right to keep and bear arms, and has done much good in US society. It trains police and security, it is deeply involved in safety training, it has an award-winning safety program for children, and it has enhanced American freedom. It was even involved in the struggle for Black civil rights in the 50s and early 60s, chartering gun clubs for Blacks in the south, enabling them to arm and defend themselves. Read Negroes with Guns by Robert Williams.

The current US media attempt to villify and destroy the NRA is outrageous. It is roughly the equivalent of attacks on the NAACP in the early 60s. The NRA is NOT the pawn of gun manufacturers, and is NOT their paid lobbyist. The NRA gets LESS than 4% of its budget from company donations. Instead the NRA is the pawn of its membership, which has recently hit a record of over 5 million members.

As for background checks, they failed for two reasons:

- the legislators failed to convince the people that there would never be a backdoor registration system set up.

- the legislators refused to vote on the bill as a whole (which would have passed on a 50% + 1 vote) as they did not like the add-ons, which included a mandatory recognition country wide of state issued CCW.

The anti-gun Senators poisoned the bill themselves.

Wow. I agree with every word.

But, you wouldn't believe it was really me if I didn't criticise something, so. . .

"vilify" only has one L.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
And "critisize" is spelled with an S and a Z. :)

ROTFLMAO
lol Laugh it up, but read this, please:

criticize
Pronunciation: /ˈkrɪtɪsʌɪz/

(also criticise)
Translate criticize | into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanish
Definition of criticize
verb
[with object]
1indicate the faults of (someone or something) in a disapproving way:
the opposition criticized the government’s failure to consult adequately
technicians were criticized for defective workmanship
2form and express a judgement of (a literary or artistic work):
a literary text may be criticized on two grounds: the semantic and the expressive

That's from the Oxford Dictionary. Definition of criticize in Oxford Dictionaries (British & World English) :) Happy to help.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
48% of American household have guns.

Thank God or the Bolsheviks would own your asses.

Wake the f*ck up already.

The last thing Freedom needs is a bunch of #### ###### capitulators.

Last edited by a moderator:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
This is the second time I've cut that two word combo from your posts Petros. I trust you're not being intentionally provocative.

*Protip: Don't count on the CC censor, preview your post first, especially if it is becoming emotional or passionate.

Thanks.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Maybe pal, but you've heard Andem before and it's not your first day. If I catch it again, it's the cooler.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
As a Libertarian, which I know you are, why would I comprise my Freedom? Are you a selective Libertarian of convenience or are you truly Libertarian?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
As a Libertarian, which I know you are, why would I comprise my Freedom? Are you a selective Libertarian of convenience or are you truly Libertarian?
As a libertarian, I believe in the rights of property. Including the right to tell a visitor on your property (like this site) what he may or may not do. The visitor has the option of adhering to your rules on your property, or leaving.

That's libertarian.