U.S. group makes working gun with 3D printer

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
U.S. group makes working gun with 3D printer

The world’s first 3D-printed gun has fired its first shot.

Cody Wilson, 25, demonstrated the plastic gun, called the Liberator, in a YouTube video called “Dawn of the Wiki Weapons.”

The University of Texas law student and self-described “crypto-anarchist” has been working on building crowdsourced, 3D-printed guns through his company, Defense Distributed.

The goal is to show the U.S. government that gun-control laws are pointless when Americans can print their own firearms, piece by piece, at home. The group has even created a printable AK-47 magazine.

“There is a demand of guns — there just is. There are states all over the world that say you can’t own firearms, and that’s not true anymore,” Wilson told the BBC, which was on scene for the Liberator’s first test in Austin.

“I’m seeing a world where technology says you can pretty much be able to have whatever you want. It’s not up to the political players any more.”

It is technically legal to make a 3D-printed gun in the U.S. so long as it's for personal use and not a National Firearms Act weapon. However, U.S. congressman Steve Israel has called for them to be banned altogether.

Cool Video: Liberator - Dawn of the Wiki Weapons

Liberator - Dawn of the Wiki Weapons - YouTube

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I saw an show fairly recently about medical aids for little kids, and how 3D printers have revolutionized the field, because as children wear out parts of their braces, their stability devices, and other medical aids, the parents can call in with a part number, it can be printed, and they can pick it up the same day so their kids can keep moving, keep living their lives.

I have seen this article posted 5 times now, from various people and places on the internet.

No matter what your views on weaponry and gun laws, I really wish that this was not the application that seized public excitement so readily.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No matter what your views on weaponry and gun laws, I really wish that this was not the application that seized public excitement so readily.

It is incredible technology, dirt cheap and easy to use by nearly anybody.

Even if all the guns were gone, man would find a ways to perfect other weapons just as deadly.

Weapons will never go away. If people are happy with the tech that has been around for hundreds of years then so be it.

What it all boils down to (pun intended) is, we are in an age where electric weapons are sitting in the wings somewhat ignored by the public.

How do you trace microwave weapons, LASER or EM weapons. They are silent and leave no ballistic residues, fragments behind, no need to buy ammo and are just as portable.

A tinny little blow dart with high amperage capacitors can fry your *** and stop your heart.

Guns don't scare me the way electrical weapons do.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I wonder when someone's going to make a 3D printer with a 3D printer.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Anyone ever consider the price of the 3D printer, compared to buying a gun. even a black market gun????
I'll stick with the real metal one :lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I wonder when someone's going to make a 3D printer with a 3D printer.
I'm still waiting for laser guided lasers. Luke would have never just winged Vader if he had a laser guided laser.

Anyone ever consider the price of the 3D printer, compared to buying a gun. even a black market gun????
I'll stick with the real metal one :lol:
DaS, they are super cheap. Around $850 and you can make far more than just one gun.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Is it completely 3D printed, I wonder, or does it still rely on a steel chamber and barrel liner?

An open source 3d printer in the UK does that already. Build the first one, then have it make its own replacement pparts.