'Exhausted' parents leave autistic son at government office

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
'Exhausted' parents leave autistic son at government office

Unable to get enough help from social services, an Ottawa family says they had no choice but to leave their son — who is living with severe developmental delays — in the hands of the government.
Amanda Telford said she brought her 19-year-old son Phillip to a provincial developmental services office on Tuesday and left him there.
“It’s the most heart-wrenching, gut-wrenching feeling in the world to have to do this,” she told CBC News.
“I felt dizzy, nauseous, upset, I’ve spent a very teary-eyed day today; this hasn’t been a very fun thing to have to do."
Telford said Phillip is living with a severe form of autism that has him functioning at a two-year-old level, Tourette's syndrome and insulin-dependent diabetes.
He often wanders away and puts himself in danger, she said.
“[A few days ago], he ended up four kilometres away at a restaurant at Ogilvie [Road] and St. Laurent Boulevard,” she said.
”Ogilvy and St. Laurent is an extremely dangerous intersection.”
Phillip also swallowed 14 pills of high-blood pressure medication which required seven hours of hospitalization on Monday, Telford said.
After he got home, his mother, said he wandered away again.
Telford said she’s asked for help from both provincial and Ottawa city agencies, as well as her local member of Parliament and member of the Ontario legislature.
She said the response has been there’s no room for Phillip in the over-burdened, under-funded social system.
"My husband and I are absolutely exhausted and medically unwell,” she said. “I am not able to do this anymore."
Autism Ontario caseworker Anne Borbey-Schwartz said the Telford’s situation is not unique. There has been a rise in the number of developmentally delayed adults with autism.
"This family is very brave, first of all,” Borbey-Schwartz said.
“(They) represent many families across the province, if not across the country, that are facing aging adults with autism, with a variety of needs, with very little support and very little services."
Telford told CBC Radio's Ottawa Morning host Hallie Cotnam her family has been getting "passport" funding from the province, but it's been frozen for eight years and now only lasts six to eight months of the year.
She said her son is getting medical and social care at a south Ottawa hospice, a place he's been on and off since he was 16 and somewhere she said he's "very happy."
His mother said it's a temporary solution she hopes will lead to a permanent placement.

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

I can't imagine what this family has gone through, I'm sure the article only highlights a small portion of it. But when you contemplate headlines about wasting $585 million on a cancelled gas plant or $3.1 billion in missing Security and Anti-Terrorism funds, it's enough to make your blood boil.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
And as the government bows to social and fiscal pressure to close 'institutions', we will see more and more of this.

While I think the push to keep the developmentally delayed in their own homes, with their own families, and part of the community, has been an overall good thing, there are times where it reaches a breaking point for people.

The debate has been especially high around here with the government push to close down the Michener centre, and take away the only home some of those people have ever known. All for the sake of being PC and not 'institutionalizing' people.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You know I'm currently at a point in my life where I'm living the "sandwich" years...adult but still young children who need help and guidance and an aging and infirm parent who relies upon me more and more every day. By no means whatsoever does it even remotely compare to the 24/7 heavy responsibilities that some of these families are dealing with, but I find what I have to deal with absolutely exhausting a lot of the time. Seriously, sometimes I'm so overwhelmed dealing with care agencies, homecare, sourcing out LTC facilities, that I go to bed at night and just cry myself to sleep. And that's not even one tenth of what these folks have to deal with!

It's unconscionable to me that we waste so much money, time and energy (in government I mean) when people are working, over working, paying taxes, being a part of their community and that community (nation) is failing them when they are in need.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The problem now being that parents caring for these children are beginning to age. These children also require 24/7 care. That is inhumane to expect a person to cope with that. These kids need diapers, and changing, and constant supervision and some if not a lot can tend toward the violent.

One of our high needs kids at school kicked a hole through a wall the other day. That's just at school. Imagine dealing with that 24 hours a day with no support mental, emotional or financial.

Somedays we go into "lockdown" when one of the kids goes over the top and starts running around going crazy. It takes a while to get things under control. It is LOUD and scary at first.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
We have one guy at work who has a special need child, and on top of it all, his wife passed away.....
Some people just where not meant to have easy lives.

He showed me a form he had to fill out for financial help. It looked complicated.
Almost like a lawyer's type form. They ask all kinds of documentation. They want you, to go into
Specifics of the special things you need to do for your child... Etc....

Definitely not a easy situation.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Is indeed a sad situation for these parents and others like them.

But from the ontario gas plant disaster to way too many money wasters from the Harper gang, we as a country have the money to help out these people, if our leaders decide they want to..........

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Gosh. What a bad situation for all. I know that some forms of autism there is such a disconnect between the child or person with autism to the ones that love and care for him. I was watching an interview of a mom with an autistic teen and she said some thing along the lines of he has no love or caring for any of us... If I was to die he would not even notice. I know that is not the case with all people with autism.

Remember the American couple sending the Russian kid back to Russia? Different medical/mental problems but this reminded me of that story.