5-year-old shoots 2-year-old sister with gift rifle

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
There is no protection of children's toys in the Constitution like their is for kids to have their guns.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Two-year-old girl fatally shot by five-year-old brother in Kentucky

So let me understand this... in the USA they cannot sell Kinder Surprises because the little toy is considered to be a 'choke hazard'... but they can sell "riffles designed specially for kids"???

Toys face regulations because the natural assumption is that children will be left alone with them at some point.

The rational, logical assumption is that a child will never be left alone with a gun.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Two-year-old girl fatally shot by five-year-old brother in Kentucky

So let me understand this... in the USA they cannot sell Kinder Surprises because the little toy is considered to be a 'choke hazard'... but they can sell "riffles designed specially for kids"???

Yes.

.22 single shot rifles are sold scaled down so they can be used by young children. Some of them are quite nice.

The idea is to get them young, and teach them proper gun handling, safety, etc.

Obviously this family screwed up. According to the article, not only was the gun left unsecured, it was loaded.

A tragedy.

Meanwhile, the anti-gun idiots demonstrate their stupidity as well.

Texas Schools Reportedly Cancel Gun Safety Visits Because They’re Part of the NRA | TheBlaze.com

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Where did the parents get the idea it was a good idea to give a five year old a loaded gun without supervision? That's social Darwinism right there.

I don't think they gave it to him. I think the rifle was left unsecured, because in many households having firearms around is just not at all unusual.

Leaving it loaded was an oversight, an accident.

I am not defending the practices of this family, I'm just pointing out how it happened.

I was brought up in the nicest family you can imagine, Leave It To Beaver stuff, and my home was full of guns, standing in the corner of every closet in the house. At the time, that didn't raise an eyebrow, and we lived in a city.

Dad always kept the ammunition under lock and key.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Where did the parents get the idea it was a good idea to give a five year old a loaded gun without supervision? That's social Darwinism right there.

Key word... parenting. The gun was left in the corner of a room loaded. Again parenting.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I don't think they gave it to him. I think the rifle was left unsecured, because in many households having firearms around is just not at all unusual.

Leaving it loaded was an oversight, an accident.

I am not defending the practices of this family, I'm just pointing out how it happened.

I was brought up in the nicest family you can imagine, Leave It To Beaver stuff, and my home was full of guns, standing in the corner of every closet in the house. At the time, that didn't raise an eyebrow, and we lived in a city.

Dad always kept the ammunition under lock and key.

I just think the excuse that they forgot the gun was loaded is a pile of crap. It's like throwing a kid out the window and saying you forgot there was gravity. Too bad for the little girl. Too bad for the little boy--he'll have to live with it. He's probably just realizing now that his sister is never coming back. The parents I don't have much sympathy for. They can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I just think the excuse that they forgot the gun was loaded is a pile of crap. It's like throwing a kid out the window and saying you forgot there was gravity. Too bad for the little girl. Too bad for the little boy--he'll have to live with it. He's probably just realizing now that his sister is never coming back. The parents I don't have much sympathy for. They can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

The same with kids who drown? To hell with those parents? What about kids who die from poison?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Now now Eagle.....Don't you know you are more dead with a gun than any other method? 8O

And apparently parents who weren't watching their kid when they crawled into the pool or downed a mouthful of Drain-O are deserving of our sympathy over those with gun accidents.