Medical miracle: Have Canadian researchers found a cure for MS?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Since 2000, about 30 patients with aggressive MS—including Sparrow and Malcolm—have taken part, with life-saving results.
The aggressive, painful and dangerous therapy involves stem cells, bringing patients to the brink of death in order to give their immune systems a complete reboot. It worked for both Sparrow and Malcolm, who have since become friends. Both are now off of medication, and Sparrow, who used to be paralyzed, now works out at the gym.
Doctors caution that the procedure is not a cure for everyone with MS, as it’s dangerous and does not reverse the permanent damage caused by the disease. It also makes patients incredibly sick.
The Ottawa team’s research is expected to be published this summer.

Medical miracle: Have Canadian researchers found a cure for MS? | Globalnews.ca

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
My wife's MS was pretty much stopped 3 years back by nearly two years of chemotherapy. Used for only a few MS victims depending on their circumstances ( i say this because i do not wish anyone to assume too much).
She still cannot walk but there has been nearly 0 degradation in her condition the past three years. We do not assume this will continue but we hope.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Since 2000, about 30 patients with aggressive MS—including Sparrow and Malcolm—have taken part, with life-saving results.
The aggressive, painful and dangerous therapy involves stem cells, bringing patients to the brink of death in order to give their immune systems a complete reboot. It worked for both Sparrow and Malcolm, who have since become friends. Both are now off of medication, and Sparrow, who used to be paralyzed, now works out at the gym.
Doctors caution that the procedure is not a cure for everyone with MS, as it’s dangerous and does not reverse the permanent damage caused by the disease. It also makes patients incredibly sick.
The Ottawa team’s research is expected to be published this summer.

Medical miracle: Have Canadian researchers found a cure for MS? | Globalnews.ca

It will be great news if it is found to be true. I have quite a few family members stricken with this disease.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I hope they have a breakthrough at any level at this point I have a
friend who's wife has had it for a long time. Now if we can start on
this road some related problems like Parkinson might come to some
conclusions it would be wonderful