Swimwear for little girls

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Children's advocacy group criticizes Gwyneth Paltrow for endorsing bikinis that 'sexualize' girls on Goop

Gwyneth Paltrow has come under fire from child protection advocates after a young girl modelling bikinis was featured on her lifestyle website.

The star's Goop.com site sells swimwear designed by Melissa Odabash, and shows pictures of a little girl wearing one of the two-piece creations, as well as beach cover-ups.

The outfits, which are described as "great for girls who want to look grown up", have sparked outrage among campaigners who claim the images sexualize children.

Claude Knight of Kidscape, a British foundation set up to prevent child abuse, tells Britain's Daily Mail, "We remain very opposed to the sexualization of children and of childhood.

"The dangers have been discussed at length, so it is a great pity that such trends continue and that they carry celebrity endorsement."
It is not the first time Paltrow's Goop.com has caused a backlash - last year, she was criticized by health experts for promoting a drastic detox plan, which involves consuming just one low-calorie meal and two protein shakes a day.

Children's advocacy group criticizes Gwyneth Paltrow for endorsing bikinis that 'sexualize' girls on Goop | Home | Toronto Sun

no carbs, no sugary drinks, no bikinis...the world has gone mad, man.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think there's a big difference between the sexualisation of young girls, and the picture on Goop. That bikini wasn't sexual, unless seeing a child's stomach turns your crank. The slogans, the bling, the peekaboo cutouts in shirts and swimwear, the recreating stripper wear... these are the things little girls DO wear, that are ACTUALLY sexualising. Now, pair that bikini with a model hip pop, a pair of high heels, and some makeup, and you've got a sexualised child. That alone, no.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I agree with what Karrie said. There is a difference between a little girl wearing a two-piece bathing suit and being sexualized. That alone does not do it. I think the images of little girls in pageantry makeup and full gowns does more to sexualize them at a young age than a simple two piece bathing suit. And if the models posing in the ads are anything like the little girl featured in the photo in the link, I think it's much ado about nothing.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think it does depend on how far people go with this. I am an old grandpa and we have
a great grand daughter who is two and a half. I would be upset if they started putting he
in some of these pageants. We went to her dance finale program and she was cute nothing
wrong with ballerina costumes, two piece bathing suits and so on depending as Karrie and
SLM point out the bling and so on. I say let kids be kids love them and show them good things
they'll be fine.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Frankly, I suspect it's feigned outrage looking for cash support of their cause. Rather than try to take on the huge corporate issues like Wal-Mart that carry baby stripper wear, they hit a small niche market 'feel good' target like Goop publicly, shame them, and then wait for the apology donation to shut them up.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Frankly, I suspect it's feigned outrage looking for cash support of their cause. Rather than try to take on the huge corporate issues like Wal-Mart that carry baby stripper wear, they hit a small niche market 'feel good' target like Goop publicly, shame them, and then wait for the apology donation to shut them up.
Wal*Mart? I figured it was that Giant Tiger place that had the monopoly on cheap, trashy hooker clothes for kids and teens?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I wouldn't be surprised if they toss a little donation to the advocacy groups that go after the little guys like Goop.

That's the kind of conspiracy stuff I can believe in.