• Separated Mass: ~4,905 kg
  • Satellite Design Life: 15 years
Highlights

• 9th Telesat Satellite Launched on ILS Proton
  • 26th Space Systems/Loral Satellite Launch on an ILS Proton
  • 2nd ILS Proton Launch in 2013
  • 79th ILS Proton Launch Overall
Launch Resources

In orbit and payload releaseed successfully...all in 8 minutes.

Now I can get the Rural Channel!

http://www.ilslaunch.com/sites/default/files/pdf/Anik%20G1%20Mission%20Overview-v2.pdf

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Russia’s Proton-M Puts Canadian Satellite into Orbit

08:09 16/04/2013

MOSCOW, April 16 (RIA Novosti) - A Russian Proton-M carrier rocket delivered a Canadian telecommunications satellite, Anik-G1, into orbit on Tuesday, a spokesman for Russia's space agency said.

The rocket blasted off from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan at 22:36 Moscow time.

"The foreign satellite separated from the Briz-M at the designated time and control over the satellite has been passed to the client [the Canadian Telesat]," a spokesman for the Russian Federal Space Agency said.

Anik-G1 was built by US company Space Systems/Loral for the Canadian Telesat. It will provide telecommunications services in South America, Canada, the United States and Pacific. The spacecraft has the life span of 15 years.

This is good news for Northern Canadians.

Timetrvlr

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2005
BC interior
Petros posted:
This is good news for Northern Canadians.

I've clicked on the links but I'm still don't understand what services it will provide. I thought C-band TV died years ago. What are Ku, X band and DTH services all about?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The letters denote microwave frequencies. The satellite will provide, innernet, cell and regular phones, TV, etc to all of south and most of north america.

Timetrvlr

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2005
BC interior
Thanks for the explanation!

Can someone tell me about C-band TV? Is there still a full range of TV channels? Back in the 90's, we lived in a remote area and could only get C-band programming on our 10" satellite dish. As I recall, we had a decent number of channels with a good range of programs. Then we moved to town, got a small Starchoice satellite dish and were happy until Shaw cable offered a better, full service package of TV, internet, phone and TV. That's getting awfully expensive now and I'm looking for options.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Analog long wave frequencies. They are still in use, just not for TV anymore. Compressed digital frequencies are shorter wavelength (high frequency) to pack more information.

As the letters go higher so does the frequency.