School Safety

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Are schools safer today than 40 years ago? The recent flood of paranoia and stupidity shows that running and hidding is an appropriate measure to teach kids.

When I think back to my school days I see fit, healthy kids who were armed with hockey sticks, baseball bats, broom ball sticks, several thousand feet of skipping rope, enough bubble gum to plug a crack inthe hoover damn and dad s and moms who taught their boys and girls to be men and women and stand up for themselves and not run away and hide.

It was some place to stay away from and not worth the risk of injury for the world's underbelly.

WTF happened?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Are schools safer today than 40 years ago?
no when I grew up there was not one school shooting, gangs with shanks and wearing colours did not roam my high school, kids did not bring weapons to school intending harm to others

WTF happened?
in short the world changed...it shrank, we are more media aware of every incident taking place on the planet, violence became a way of life via tv and video games, world balance of power has shifted and a host of other socio-economic and psychological factors

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So now it's that your upset we're not teaching our kids to wield clubs against gunmen? lol!!

btw, you want to know what happened?

School shootings happened, plain and simple. All over Canada and the US, school shootings happened. They became a reality that teachers need to try to deal with, a new safety issue that they have to try to figure out.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So now it's that your upset we're not teaching our kids to wield clubs against gunmen? lol!!

btw, you want to know what happened?

School shootings happened, plain and simple. All over Canada and the US, school shootings happened. They became a reality that teachers need to try to deal with, a new safety issue that they have to try to figure out.
I had a parent come in a few weeks ago that is removing his child from the public school system and registering with us for September. Why? Because when he walked up to our door I had to buzz him in. That simple.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
no when I grew up there was not one school shooting, gangs with shanks and wearing colours did not roam my high school, kids did not bring weapons to school intending harm to others

I guess it depends on where you went to school, doesn't it.

Deadliest School Shootings In U.S. History | Radar Online
The grim history of shootings in US schools and universities | The Sun |News
https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&gs_rn=...38,d.cGE&fp=10792ff7c9159fc7&biw=1600&bih=775

in short the world changed...it shrank, we are more media aware of every incident taking place on the planet, violence became a way of life via tv and video games, world balance of power has shifted and a host of other socio-economic and psychological factors

This is true, it's not about the numbers, it's about how easily we have access to those numbers now.

I had a parent come in a few weeks ago that is removing his child from the public school system and registering with us for September. Why? Because when he walked up to our door I had to buzz him in. That simple.

That would be one school I would NOT enroll my child in. Teaching paranoia is not a good thing in my books.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That would be one school I would NOT enroll my child in. Teaching paranoia is not a good thing in my books.
All Catholic schools in this area are on a buzz-in, locked door system. The public schools are not so you wouldn't have a problem, there's lots of choice.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
All Catholic schools in this area are on a buzz-in, locked door system. The public schools are not so you wouldn't have a problem, there's lots of choice.

Then I'm REALLY glad I didn't move back to Ontario. That would be one more reason against it. Having my kids go to a school that was locked down would not have made me happy. Stupidity on the school boards part.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Then I'm REALLY glad I didn't move back to Ontario. That would be one more reason against it. Having my kids go to a school that was locked down would not have made me happy. Stupidity on the school boards part.
Most schools in the States are this way now, and if you crawl some Facebook walls many want teachers to be armed...it's a whole new world.

It may be paranoia but truth is, most times the pictures on the bottom of the screen for non admittance are all PARENTS because it will not be a stranger that will take your kid, it will be a parent.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Interesting discussion on this one. First of all the world has not changed but the people
populating the world have changed. We have hot lines like crime stoppers so people can
squeal on each other. We have a greed mentality that stretches from the Board Room
to the home regardless of what class people are. Don't think so? Look at the Walmart
parking lot. People will undermine their own economy and job pool to buy something
that is cheap not quality cheap.
We have taught the kids that getting ahead requires everything but hard work, and no one
fails regardless of how inefficient or talentless they are in a specific area. In short it matters
not. You don't have to go find what you like or what you are good at, you just do a mediocre
job at something with more money. Result many are not satisfied they don't give a damn and
it shows. Ethics, morals, responsibility and self pride and worth are things of the past,
sacrificed for money.
No its not that money and lots of it are a bad thing, its how people approach it. We are a
society of greedy, self absorbed people who will do what ever we please. That seeps into
everyday life and schools are no exception. School is now where you learn it. If someone
ticks you off you stab them or drive by and shoot them or bully them or God knows what else.
Communication and self respect are becoming lost arts in many respects.
To suggest this is the majority it would not be true, however we should be concerned because
its becoming the growing minority.
We need a generation of parents who are firm and can cope with the pressures of being parents.
Remember well the groups in school are kids, who are on the wrong road they will soon be the
generation of adults who will be at large in our communities. School safety is really a measure
of the safety of society. There is not as much as their used to be and there is no absolute safety
rule anyway. The best way to achieve safety in schools is to examine our own lifestyle. Set the
example at home. Set the example in community and give kids a place in it. Stop treating them
like children and require they are responsible for actions of their own.
End of Rant

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why not just drop the little bastards off when 5 and pick em up when 17?

There is no point in teaching you kid to fake with a left, step in and drill with a right making the bully bleed but the kids would get a life sentence for doing what is 100% "the right thing to do".

If you try to pick yo kid up during lock down to take them to safety, you can't, you can't come and pick up THEIR kid and take it to it's proper safe home. Good luck trying.

Knock yourselves out.

Raise fvcking wimps that kill themselves because of words on faebook because you have no balls and pass paranoia and anxiety on to them.

Unfvcking real.

What a waste.

A complete and total embarassment to 1 million years of evolution.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Are schools safer today than 40 years ago? The recent flood of paranoia and stupidity shows that running and hidding is an appropriate measure to teach kids.

When I think back to my school days I see fit, healthy kids who were armed with hockey sticks, baseball bats, broom ball sticks, several thousand feet of skipping rope, enough bubble gum to plug a crack inthe hoover damn and dad s and moms who taught their boys and girls to be men and women and stand up for themselves and not run away and hide.

It was some place to stay away from and not worth the risk of injury for the world's underbelly.

WTF happened?
Nannyism happened.
JMO

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They might have to lock down and order pizza for staff while the kids get sweet fvck all?

We'll see how long parents agree with it after the first forced overnighter.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I remember a school shooting in Winnipeg in the late 70s at Sturgeon Creek High school. I know there were multiple people shot in an Ottawa school in the mid 70's and one in Brampton as well so school shootings are nothing new. What is new is that I now have at least 5 all-news TV channels that report on this stuff non-stop.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I remember a school shooting in Winnipeg in the late 70s at Sturgeon Creek High school. I know there were multiple people shot in an Ottawa school in the mid 70's and one in Brampton as well so school shootings are nothing new. What is new is that I now have at least 5 all-news TV channels that report on this stuff non-stop.

and idiots running around shouting "the sky is falling, the sky is falling, and turning schools into high security prisons.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Across the street at Albert School the kids can see their moms hooking on the corner.

Should they take out the windows?

How far do you go?

and idiots running around shouting "the sky is falling, the sky is falling, and turning schools into high security prisons.
It's good to send your kid to prison so they don't experience the real world around them. It's for their own good. Your's too by the way because you don't know what your doing when it comes to parenting.

Kids don't run and play, junkies do. They'll want to be junkies so they can run free.