And Yet More Pit Bull Bad News

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Toddler mauled by 7 dogs dies in Georgia

ATLANTA - A toddler died in south Georgia after being mauled by a pack of seven dogs in her backyard, police said on Thursday.
The girl's grandmother and others were unable to stop the attack late on Wednesday before the child was killed by the pack of pit bulls, according to the Savannah Morning News newspaper.
In an interview with Reuters, Bryan County Sheriff's Detective Donnie Thomas confirmed the attack but gave few other details. He said the child would have turned 2 in June.
Bryan County Deputy Coroner Tommy Flanders declined to comment on Thursday.
The dogs were euthanized by the Bryan County Animal Control, the newspaper reported.

Toddler mauled by 7 dogs dies in Georgia - World - Canoe.ca

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I know. (I was loathe to start yet another thread on the topic but I needed to check if Andem's fix worked for my posting problem.)

And this was a pack of them, so perhaps abandoned by owner's who couldn't handle them?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
To be fair to pitbulls, this is the kind of situation though where the breed of dog makes no difference. Roaming packs of dogs are dangerous no matter what kind. I know First Nations bands up here have started trying to make sure they cull out strays before they hit the point of starving, roaming packs, because they pose a very significant risk to children. It's rare to hear of packs in cities, but, all it takes is one careless owner to leave a door open I suppose.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
To be fair to pitbulls, this is the kind of situation though where the breed of dog makes no difference. Roaming packs of dogs are dangerous no matter what kind. I know First Nations bands up here have started trying to make sure they cull out strays before they hit the point of starving, roaming packs, because they pose a very significant risk to children. It's rare to hear of packs in cities, but, all it takes is one careless owner to leave a door open I suppose.

Of course. Any problem that can be attributed to pitbulls, aside from the lower than low life owners who use them specifically as attack dogs, can be attributed to other animals. It's just that pitbulls are so strong, so powerful and so tenacious, their attacks will garner attention that other breeds won't. But I wouldn't trust a roving band of starving Irish Setters any more than these dogs.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yes a pack operates differently. I remember walking backwards from a pack of mutts from the bus stop when I was a kid.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, apparently there was a lot more to the story, like the fact that the pack of pitbulls were their own pets.

"A toddler was mauled to death after her family didn't notice she had gotten out of the house, and seven of their nine dogs attacked her in the backyard, Georgia authorities said.
Monica Renee Laminack, just 21 months old, crawled through the doggie door of her family's Ellabell, Ga., home on Wednesday evening and managed to slip out into the backyard, Debra Odom, Bryan County sheriff's office administrative secretary, said.
That's when the family's pet dogs — all pit bulls or pit bull mixes, according to Odom — seized on her"
Georgia toddler mauled to death by family's pack of dogs - U.S. News

The most distressing part of the article.... the responders said the toddler was already cold by the time they got there. That's a long time for a child to be without adult supervision in a house with 9 dogs in it.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Well, apparently there was a lot more to the story, like the fact that the pack of pitbulls were their own pets.

"A toddler was mauled to death after her family didn't notice she had gotten out of the house, and seven of their nine dogs attacked her in the backyard, Georgia authorities said.
Monica Renee Laminack, just 21 months old, crawled through the doggie door of her family's Ellabell, Ga., home on Wednesday evening and managed to slip out into the backyard, Debra Odom, Bryan County sheriff's office administrative secretary, said.
That's when the family's pet dogs — all pit bulls or pit bull mixes, according to Odom — seized on her"

The most distressing part of the article.... the responders said the toddler was already cold by the time they got there. That's a long time for a child to be without adult supervision in a house with 9 dogs in it.
well there we go... should have shot the owners too. I guessed as much when they weren't saying anything. 9 pits... one dog for each IQ point. And a cold body un fing believable.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

So much for the family dog thing. That was tongue in cheek.

Clearly this family was f*ed up. Nine pit bulls and a non supervised toddler.

Off to jail with them.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

That's a long time for a 21 month old child to be without adult supervision, period.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So much for the family dog thing. That was tongue in cheek.

Clearly this family was f*ed up. Nine pit bulls and a non supervised toddler.

Off to jail with them.
I think do not pass go, do not collect their two hundred dollars.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's a long time for a 21 month old child to be without adult supervision, period.

Well, if what they said about the 12 year old being in charge is true, then fine. my daughter's babysat lots. But I wouldn't let her do it in a house with 9 dogs in it.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well, if what they said about the 12 year old being in charge is true, then fine. my daughter's babysat lots. But I wouldn't let her do it in a house with 9 dogs in it.

Sure I babysat at that age too. Says something about 6 people being in the house. Grandmother, 12 year old and baby, that leaves three others. So either the 12 year old was in charge of four children or there were adults present? Don't know.

But no, definitely not the kind of place to leave a 12 year old in charge when they have that many dogs. And it reads to me that they socialized the child with the dogs so she would not have been afraid of them.

Sad. Reminds me of the case in Quebec where the two huskies/sheppards(?) mauled that baby in her car seat after the child was left unattended on the kitchen floor and the adults all stepped outside. People get complacent with dogs.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Agreed, didn't they hear the dogs or the child who likely screamed at least briefly?